Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Sold in the end (to the first viewer..as the cliche goes) Had it valeted on Friday morning, put up a spot light ad midday and it had 700-odd views by this morning. Some amount of idiots contacted me in that time though. Very last line of the ad read "no offers before viewing the car" and every single inquiry I had bar one asked "and whats your best price on it

Ah welcome to the world of selling used cars! You will get the likes of that last price brigade and all sorts of idiotic behaviour.

Another one is that you advertise a car mentioning Cash only, no swaps etc. Yet they ring, make you a silly offer insanely lower than your already attractive asking price, pausing after the figure saying.......CASH and raising the volume in their voice as they say so... as if its the holy grail of offers and your bound to accept.... No, I said cash only and the last thing I will be doing is accepting a cheque or other method of payment from someone who sounds as dodgy as yourolleyes.png. Doesn't matter that you put the words in upper case, bold, underlined etc.

You did well with what you got for it I reckon. As you mentioned yourself you might have paid a bit over the odds for it at the time but that's irrelevant to what you will get for it today. Fair play, I'd def have taken the €1,700 and ranwink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zm_M1_NWE3_NGE1_Ym_E3_ZDA4_Ym_Ri_NGEw_YTA0_Yzc1_Yj_Nj_Mj_SS9_FUw5_XSHws1cnldvye_HU.jpg

ZGRh_YTk0_Yzk1_Nzhk_Yz_Rl_Nm_Y2_YTk5_ZTVk_Nzg0_Yz_Fj_MWVw3gm_OO_4_JAt-_A-1z_Wi1h_W.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/17728393

2001 Galant 2.0 NCT till mid June
    Low owner count and a low number WH reg
    Looks clean inside and out
    Asking €600
    Not mad cheap or anything but I like these

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Poor ad, terrible photos, but it has an NCT to November '18 and it's only €600.

May have had a hard life on rough roads, but they are sturdy cars. Should be easily got for €500 and if it checks out, then that's a bargain in my book.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2/17647540

ODAzYmI5YTU0ZWI5N2U3NDIzNmZmMTJhOGFhZjU0ZGGiHq6dzRfoPTrP8Tk1Mad6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjA0OTAxN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-06-saab-9-3/17516303

I like these. Presumably a better insurance proposition for most than the previous couple of Aeros we had. Looks clean and handy money considering the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hmm I wouldn’t mind trying that A2 for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Quazzie wrote: »
    €1200 tax :eek:

Just saw that.... Ouch...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Imagine buying that, and stomaching the tax for the fuel savings, only for the government to go and stop selling E85.

Imagine buying that, and stomaching the tax for the fuel savings, only for the government to go and stop selling E85.

Wasn't even efficient to begin with :D

Anyway, two weeks tax left for the new owner, if bought now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Tax on that is sickening especially when the same engine in a Focus is 570 and 750 in the Mondeo (though @ 189g its only 2 off the 1200 band)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Tax on that is sickening especially when the same engine in a Focus is 570 and 750 in the Mondeo (though @ 189g its only 2 off the 1200 band)

It would be €710 if it was registered a month earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Bangernomics is moving on. If your looking for a family car, willing to spend close to the €2k mark and not after anything overly exotic then you should probably be aiming for a 2008 model upwards for the chape tax etc etc.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-cheap-tax/17665598

2008 Octavia 1.9 tiddly diddly eye.
    148K Miles;
    NCT 09/2019
    Asking €2,150;
    Chape motor tax @ €280 p.a.

Extremely dated for 2008 but to many who are just after cheap transport and have their eye firmly fixated on the motor tax figure that wont matter a damn. Would I drive it? - all day longsmile.png

Lads,

Why is it that there are mark 2 Octavias knocking about as old as 2005 yet the mark 1 octavias can be seen on 2009 plates. There is an '09 mark 1 octavia where I work.! That seems a long changeover period between models.
    I've wondered that for a long time..!!

Dated compared to other cars with an 08 reg whereas certain cars with 06/07 regs give the impression they're more modern and more expensive than their reg year suggests (Lexus is250, bmw e60 etc)
    Again it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was after an economical daily beater but it bothers many people.

I've recommended a cheap tax mk1 octavia or cheap tax mk1 superb a few times in various threads in the buying and selling forum regarding a cheap reliable commuter car and I've always been met with the same response "dated".

Diesel for diesel I'd be thinking the octavia would win out hands down from an economics perspective: better mpg, cheaper parts and cheaper to put right should things go wrong. Honestly those octavia's are probably the most reliable and simple cheap tax diesel available.
    Dmf and clutches, turbo's and injectors are all robust and relatively cheap to replace.

That said I'm a big fan of 1.4d4d e12 corolla's too. If the civics or corolla's are petrol then that changes things slightly as if you dont need a diesel then petrol is generally always the safer option.

Some of you will I picked up a 1 owner mark 1 octavia estate 1.9 diesel back in october.
    '00 with 124k on her. I have done 7k faultless miles on her in 3 months!
    The car is super! It's lively enough, big enough for two baby seats, great boot and so far bullet proof!
    All I have done to it so far is an abs sensor and a full service.
    I was calculating this morning I will be doing a minimum of 500 miles per week until next September, so I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how it performs.!
    I will be servicing it every 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

W123-80's wrote: »
    Lads,

Why is it that there are mark 2 Octavias knocking about as old as 2005 yet the mark 1 octavias can be seen on 2009 plates. There is an '09 mark 1 octavia where I work.! That seems a long changeover period between models.

They continued to make them as they had a huge following on the continent and so on. Very cheap motoring and taxi drivers loved them.

Huge boot was a big thing also and parts a plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Lads,

There's a 10 MH one local to me

They continued to make them as they had a huge following on the continent and so on. Very cheap motoring and taxi drivers loved them.

Huge boot was a big thing also and parts a plenty.

It's a shame toyota didn't take the same approach with the Corolla E100..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's a shame toyota didn't take the same approach with the Corolla E100..!!!

Put me down for one!

Very practical albeit uninspiring family motor
    2008 Avensis
    Test Jan '19
    4 x new tyres
    Claim of one owner
    Mileage is reasonable at 195k km
    Asking €1990
    Assuming everything is legit, its def worth close to the asking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-toyota-avensis-1-6-strata-new-nct-01-19/17696979

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

He's not displayed the annual road tax on that 08 Avensis, is it 514 (Old system) or is it more expensive on the CO2 based system ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

NCT due february so my guess is registered in february (2008) as well. Open to corrections of course.

That Avensis was a taxi. In great nick though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

No way it would achieve 60mpg,
    I had one and 36-38 mpg was my average

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Do they not have to tell you it was a taxi anymore before they sell it to you, that was a law if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do they not have to tell you it was a taxi anymore before they sell it to you, that was a law if I'm not mistaken?

Nah, nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Greybottle wrote: »
    Poor ad, terrible photos, but it has an NCT to November '18 and it's only €600.

May have had a hard life on rough roads, but they are sturdy cars. Should be easily got for €500 and if it checks out, then that's a bargain in my book.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2/17647540

ODAzYmI5YTU0ZWI5N2U3NDIzNmZmMTJhOGFhZjU0ZGGiHq6dzRfoPTrP8Tk1Mad6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjA0OTAxN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Another halfwit showing no mileage...whats wrong with these clowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Does the mileage really matter on a 600e car?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Another halfwit showing no mileage...whats wrong with these clowns?
    Fair point, though in this case you can see it in a photo:
    139k miles on it last November, according to the NCT disk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

bear1 wrote: »
    Does the mileage really matter on a 600e car?

Well, it would to me....thing is, why dont the numptys show it? A buyer is going to ask anyway...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement