Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That’s nice. Not sure I fancy a beige cloth interior though!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

nd wrote: »
    Nice looking 06 Skoda Suberb 1.9 tdi, nct 5/18 tax 4/18, asking 1,180 (not mine)

26814662_266173630583275_4116603002489238604_n.jpg?oh=e79db80ffa89f2e5c958ff2e581db297&oe=5AE1CED2
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1647569445281700

Looks very nice. Nearing 320,000km though. Obviously a lot depends on how well it was looked after during that time but that is on the high side, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I wouldn't be concerned at the mileage if the car checked out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Heated seats at the back too..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

nd wrote: »
    Nice looking 06 Skoda Suberb 1.9 tdi, nct 5/18 tax 4/18, asking 1,180 (not mine)

]

Find of the year so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

jharr100 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200/17754470

E class with a shortish test, looks minded though

Anything to look out for with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's even better than that. It's transversley mounted

That's done just to save space :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Had a transverse V6 in my FTOs. Right pain to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Greybottle wrote: »
    Find of the year so far?

No the Volvo estate from a few pages back wins it so far for me.

bear1 wrote: »
    No the Volvo estate from a few pages back wins it so far for me.

A nicer car in many ways IMO, but doing 20,000 km a year for a couple of years, taking consumption, tax and depreciation into account along with ease of resale I think the Superb is the better Bangernomics.

Both are incredibly good value though.

• Advertisement

Bangernomics isn’t all about tax and depreciation!
    Depreciation on a €1000 car shouldn’t be that much of a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

A nicer car in many ways IMO, but doing 20,000 km a year for a couple of years, taking consumption, tax and depreciation into account along with ease of resale I think the Superb is the better Bangernomics.
    You're talking about a car thats costing a shade over 1k, putting a further 40k on it ... and worrying about resale? Seriously? :confused:

Resale of a Bangernomic would be one of the last things on my mind when it came to purchasing. You buy cheap and just get rid when it starts costing too much or you find another bangernomic that catches your attention. Isn't that the whole point of bangernomics? :confused:

Top Dog wrote: »
    You're talking about a car thats costing a shade over 1k, putting a further 40k on it ... and worrying about resale? Seriously? :confused:

Resale of a Bangernomic would be one of the last things on my mind when it came to purchasing. You buy cheap and just get rid when it starts costing too much or you find another bangernomic that catches your attention. Isn't that the whole point of bangernomics? :confused:

Ease of resale to me means how easy it is to sell it on at a decent price. A diesel Superb will go faster than a petrol Volvo 2.4.

I usually have two cars, one for work, day to day etc and another for weekends (currently have a 1990 Saab 900 T16 that's being fixed up). Anyway, I'd be more careful of the economics for the daily than I would be for the weekend car and the Superb would suit me better.

Others prefer the Volvo, others would prefer a 1.2 Punto. It's all relative to your needs and preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Top Dog wrote: »

Resale of a Bangernomic would be one of the last things on my mind when it came to purchasing.

Well, we all have different interpretations of what Bangernomics cars are and all of these interpretations are accepted on this thread as long as we stick to the rules.

My personal favourite (on here but also in life in general) is to get such a bargain that when you come to sell it on, you will actually get more for it than you spent. And I'm not cheating here, I mean more than you spent buying it and maintaining it. Or the hardcore definition: buy a car, add up all the costs, maintenance, tax, insurance, fuel, everything. And then sell it for more than the total of buying costs. I've done that several times and when I did it, I was quite proud of myself :)

I did that with my first FTO. Think I sold it for €3750 more than I paid for it a year previously. That would have covered all running costs I’d imagine.

Ease of resale to me means how easy it is to sell it on at a decent price. A diesel Superb will go faster than a petrol Volvo 2.4
    OK. I can appreciate where you're coming from, but lets be realistic about the example chosen.

You're thinking about the resale value of a 14 year old at time of sale, 370k km (319,160km at time of test last July, presumably driven since + your 40k), higher capacity based motor tax diesel car.

In 2 years time I'd imagine the place will be flooded with emmissions tax based cars, with a whole lot less mileage, and lets not forget that people appear to slowly be migrating back to petrol at this stage too.

In 2 years that Superb is going to be pretty much worthless. With a price tag a shade over 1k right now, it's almost there already. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it ... and then bin it. To get caught up in resale on that car is a distraction.

All just my opinion though.

Finally - kudos on the Saab :cool:

unkel wrote: »
    Or the hardcore definition: buy a car, add up all the costs, maintenance, tax, insurance, fuel, everything. And then sell it for more than the total of buying costs. I've done that several times and when I did it, I was quite proud of myself :)
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I did that with my first FTO. Think I sold it for €3750 more than I paid for it a year previously. That would have covered all running costs I’d imagine.
    Thats like the holy grail of bangernomics - motoring for free. Not many can manage that (I certainly never have :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Seems decent in comparison to the 116i which seems to be going at inflated prices.
    I have a 2005 116i with 217,000km on the clock like this one https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-116i-fresh-nct/17717142.
    I wouldn't have thought that mine would be worth close to 3k. Bought in 2012 for 4,500.

1,500 would have been my target price if I was buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

SOLD

Nice cheap Bangernomic here with Tax.

€400
    Tax til June
    NCT Feb 14th

1.4 Petrol

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/focus/2005-ford-focus/14648091

OGRhNWEyMTg5MGQyY2RmYzVjNzhhYzA2MTI1NWRjZmViHnBoITvW9HJ_IzUJvgFNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNGUyMmMxYWU4NTMwY2Y1ZWM1Nzk3NDlmZTBmOGM5ZTA5MzEyYThjNmIxOTdiMjFjODRjMjVkZDYzMjhiYzYzZC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Bring your own battery :pac:

• Advertisement

NCT is too short for this thread. Be more suited to the fixerupper thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

goz83 wrote: »

€400
    Tax til June
    NCT Feb 14th

1.4 Petrol

OGRhNWEyMTg5MGQyY2RmYzVjNzhhYzA2MTI1NWRjZmViHnBoITvW9HJ_IzUJvgFNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNGUyMmMxYWU4NTMwY2Y1ZWM1Nzk3NDlmZTBmOGM5ZTA5MzEyYThjNmIxOTdiMjFjODRjMjVkZDYzMjhiYzYzZC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I know it's only €400 but it's a rough ol yoke that's not running right and with a short test. Tbh even at that price there is better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

€400
    Tax til June
    NCT Feb 14th

1.4 Petrol

Guarantee you it’s not cheap at all by the time you get her through another test. Worth scrap value as is.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I know it's only €400 but it's a rough ol yoke that's not running right and with a short test. Tbh even at that price there is better out there.
    Guarantee you it’s not cheap at all by the time you get her through another test. Worth scrap value as is.

Sold for €300 pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

€300 is a fair price for the car but bangernomics it ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Someone could possibly twist a few quid on that with s new test and probably coil pack

€300 is a fair price for the car but bangernomics it ain't.

I couldn't find the bangernomics requirement list, but yes, a good price and the buyer is delighted with it. He knew exactly what he was buying and what it needed.
    Someone could possibly twist a few quid on that with s new test and probably coil pack

Yeah, but the buyer wants it for himself. There were 6 interested parties and two showed up to view the car within 5 minutes of eachother. A bidding war started, but the price had been agreed beforehand, so it was let go for €300 to the first chap who arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Always threatened to get a cube OH & kids would KILL ME

The Volvo is lovely the in built boosters are a great add on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I couldn't find the bangernomics requirement list, but yes, a good price and the buyer is delighted with it. He knew exactly what he was buying and what it needed.

Yeah, but the buyer wants it for himself. There were 6 interested parties and two showed up to view the car within 5 minutes of eachother. A bidding war started, but the price had been agreed beforehand, so it was let go for €300 to the first chap who arrived.

Nice bit of straight dealing sticking to your word.
    We so often hear about messers it's good to see an old fashioned genuine deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

They we're a fine machine my brother had one drove it a good few times lovely machine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement