Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

arleitiss wrote: »
    I got new car and I am looking to get rid of my old but very reliable 2001 Golf 1.4 Petrol.

I bought it about 4 years ago and haven't given me a single trouble (But have to upgrade due to being shafted by insurance due to age of car).

All I can say about it is:
    *It has 177k miles on it.
    *It's well banged up, has massive dinosaur claw tear on left side and front bumper is 1 bump away from falling off.
    *Tax is up next week and so is the NCT.
    *Last year failed dangerously NCT due to leaking brake pipes so had it towed (bonus pic: https://i.imgur.com/OpCx4vJ.jpg )
    *Never failed on engine as engine is in pretty good condition.
    *Electronics are ****ed up, always says it's freezing outside also battery icon is coming up when trying to accelerate so I guess spark plugs and/or alternator are ****ed up.

What would be best way to get rid of it and (preferably) get some cash?

No NCT, electronics are broken with possible alternator and spark plugs done for, and sounds like it's not been looked after, sure it was a fail dangerous on its previous NCT.

Yet you say it's never given you any trouble? Complete contradiction.

Really struggling to see why that has anything to do with Bangernomics. Pay someone to take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there. Anyway id say scrapping it would be the easiest way or else try selling it on dd for small money.

Sorry, should've specified: Not a single trouble as in I havent had to invest a lot into it, generally I passed NCT every year with 70-80 euro investments, mostly suspension stuff so I don't really consider it a trouble.

Electronics went off in past 8-9 months after NCT passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Kamili wrote: »
    No NCT, electronics are broken with possible alternator and spark plugs done for, and sounds like it's not been looked after, sure it was a fail dangerous on its previous NCT.

Yet you say it's never given you any trouble? Complete contradiction.

Really struggling to see why that has anything to do with Bangernomics. Pay someone to take it away.

I can get it through NCT with sub 100 eur investment, would it add much value to car of that age though?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Hi guys please keep it up I'm on the look out for a sub 1200 car less than 1.9 if I can an estate but all I'm seeing are no ncts
    Any of you guys in Dublin want to do an inspection for some sheckles??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

unkel wrote: »
    The rule for putting something on adverts is to nearly double the price. That's to allow for the crazy low ball offers and half eaten bars of chocolat that you will get :D
    So sad, but oh so true. It seems that no matter what's being sold on there, the first offers are all about half the asking price. So if its on DoneDeal for 300, then in all likelyhood the seller will be happy with 250, so they put it on Adverts for 500 and await the half-price offer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Top Dog wrote: »
    So sad, but oh so true. It seems that no matter what's being sold on there, the first offers are all about half the asking price. So if its on DoneDeal for 300, then in all likelyhood the seller will be happy with 250, so they put it on Adverts for 500 and await the half-price offer :pac:

Any interest in my ad?????

(Ad is for a consignment of Chinese kettles)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

grogi wrote: »

It's not the looks, but safety that's the issue. Felicia - a heavily modified Favorit - was old already at the launch.
    Volvo's did age, but will be tens of years ahead of it in terms of safety. I think even a Volvo 2xx from 80-ties would be better...

it appears to be sold already, but tbh a lot of people won't be looking at that kind of record, looked clean enough inside and an estate like that might suit someone in the interim or for an all purpose workhorse till it claps. I've a Skoda estate and I'd be loath to get rid if it even though it's clean on the inside, I'm not concerned about it, put the dog or tools or whatever in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

there were a few volvos couple of pages back, very nice, probably buy something like that as most of the Octavias seem well used, as for the favorit, still think it was a grand car and it went quick, likely ideal for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agricola wrote: »
    Any interest in my ad?????

You have to get it right:

Any intrest in my add bud????? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

colm_mcm wrote: »

I posted that same one 2 weeks ago but it was asking €2,150 back then.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105826946

Down to the magic under €2k mark now to make it fully legit bangernomics

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surprised it isn’t sold tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

...__... wrote: »
    Hi guys please keep it up I'm on the look out for a sub 1200 car less than 1.9 if I can an estate but all I'm seeing are no ncts
    Any of you guys in Dublin want to do an inspection for some sheckles??

https://www.done deal.ie/cars-for-sale/Audi/17851095IMAG10420_zpsrh05bshy.jpg2002 Audi a6 estate 320,000 kms nct 05/18 €975

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I posted that same one 2 weeks ago but it was asking €2,150 back then.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105826946

Down to the magic under €2k mark now to make it fully legit bangernomics

He'll take €1500 yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-audi-a6-2-0tdi-nct-12-18/17852318

2007 A6 2.0 tdi
    190 Miles
    If it had good history might be worth a look
    NCT dec 18
    1 Owner.
    Anything above 1500 might buy it, looks negotiable

YWMyODQ1YzM2ZGVhOWQ3YjNiMTMzZmVmMGM4Y2M0YWR8CVILtgepsaRAo6tCvTU_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY5MTU1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2006/17853047

Octavia
    Looks clean
    Taxed till june
    NCT till May
    Yzk1NTk3Y2MyNGYwZWFmYThhY2FhZGMxNDNjOTViYmGDQyuhP04Xwho0A9QzY_auaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY5MDY1OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

2007 A6 2.0 tdi
    190 Miles
    NCT dec 18
    1 Owner.

This is why beige cloth is not a good idea

NTk1MzliMjgyYmVhZTYyYWRkNjk5NTIyMDEwMDRmYmNs5HgST_z9OIjpzEzvZ7AZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY5MTU2M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^ True, def not a great idea if its cloth as opposed to leather. Surprized so many beige cloth interiors seem to end up looking as fresh on cars older than 10 years old considering though.

As and aside I would have thought the seller said there is 300k miles on that Audi rather than 190 miles as mentioned - am I missing something?

A phone call would tell a lot but on the face of it and on the basis of his comment I would be doubtful he would entertain offers even very close to €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-20v-jtdm/17803988

Shameless plug for my own 159.

In really good condition and I just spent €900 on it before Christmas getting the belts and stuff done.

I managed to insure my 166 last week and I'm doing so few miles these days hence moving it on. :)

Nice car for the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Nice car for the money!

I'll do a deal for a boardsie :D

It's a great car so if it's only going to go for pennies I'll just keep it in storage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

2007 A6 2.0 tdi
    190 Miles
    NCT dec 18
    1 Owner.

YWMyODQ1YzM2ZGVhOWQ3YjNiMTMzZmVmMGM4Y2M0YWR8CVILtgepsaRAo6tCvTU_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY5MTU1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Did the dealer see this thread?
    And..can the dealer stipulate trade sale when selling to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Surprised it isn’t sold tbh.

It's probably not in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

vandriver wrote: »
    And..can the dealer stipulate trade sale when selling to the public?

He can say what he likes, but it wont effect your rights(such as they are)

Unless you know what you are doing, stay clear of ads that stipulate "trade only"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

166man wrote: »

In really good condition and I just spent €900 on it before Christmas getting the belts and stuff done.

I managed to insure my 166 last week and I'm doing so few miles these days hence moving it on. :)
    If you really want to sell it, might I suggest more effort with the photos? You're doing the car an injustice with so few ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

166man wrote: »

Poor bastard was my first thought!!! Such a lovely car for very little money but in the land of the paddy it will take a petrol head to buy that with the engine size and road tax!!! Hope you shift it on.

And petrol heads don't normally buy diesels. And when they do it is usually for the chape tax. And when they do even if the tax is high, they tend to sell it on not that much later. I've been tempted by a few diesels over the years, but I've resisted as I knew it would be a mistake for me (and the big one - I was never financially forced into diesel territory like all the people doing 40k / 50k km per year or more)

I guess 166man wasn't as successful resisting. Best of luck with your sale, you should get close to your asking price easily enough for a car that looks in great condition. As said, improve your ad and include interior pictures too.

Top Dog wrote: »
    If you really want to sell it, might I suggest more effort with the photos? You're doing the car an injustice with so few ;)
    And petrol heads don't normally buy diesels. And when they do it is usually for the chape tax. And when they do even if the tax is high, they tend to sell it on not that much later. I've been tempted by a few diesels over the years, but I've resisted as I knew it would be a mistake for me (and the big one - I was never financially forced into diesel territory like all the people doing 40k / 50k km per year or more)

I guess 166man wasn't as successful resisting. Best of luck with your sale, you should get close to your asking price easily enough for a car that looks in great condition. As said, improve your ad and include interior pictures too.

I advertised it last weekend when the weather was crap and couldn’t get daylight after work to even get it washed and get better photos.

That’s the plan for tomorrow anyway - I haven’t even had a chance to wash it!

The 2.4 diesel is the only engine to really go for in a 159 - though I appreciate the high tax is obviously a negative.

I bought as I was doing lots of miles and it would give me 600 miles to a tank as well as 230bhp, however, now I’m barely driving it Monday to Friday, so back to petrol for me.

If it doesn’t sell I’ll keep it and put it in the shed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement