Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yes but most that dealer sells is as they most likely need expensive work carried out.

They can't by law sell cars that need expensive work carried out, because under the sale of goods act they are liable for the first 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

JJJJNR wrote: »
    They can't by law sell cars that need expensive work carried out, because under the sale of goods act they are liable for the first 12 months.

People must be mad thinking they are covered under the sale of goods act in the motor trade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Is there anyway to check if a car has been put through the NCT but failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

JJJJNR wrote: »

They can't sell a car they know to be faulty, which for example you could say could be a car with a leaking head gasket, blown turbo, electronic fault etc.

However, they could sell a car that has 4x tyres at 1.8mm tread depth, due a timing belt in 1000kms time and with a clutch 95% worn. This car is perfectly fit for purpose and driving absolutely fine, but it needs a lot of maintenance in the near future

This is the difference that people aren't perceptive of. Just because the car requires short term maintenance doesn't mean it isn't fit for purpose and that's probably the main thing people need to be aware of buying cheap cars from small dealers as the dealer isn't going to spend money on these things and they are the same reasons the previous owner decided to get rid. Most dealers aren't knowingly selling faulty scrap as even they don't want the heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

If you type in the reg into the N.C.T website. I'll give you info like Make, Model, colour and nct due date.

Edit: It won't tell you if it failed. It'll only tell you when the n.c.t is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If you send me the reg I'll let you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Would this pass the NCT next time given the bumper?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-renault-laguna-1-5-dci/17885652

Ah it's grand I just put the reg into NCT and turns out it's registered as a SPSV vehicle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

People must be mad thinking they are covered under the sale of goods act in the motor trade!!

you are covered, I've returned two cars to dealers and received full repayment in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

yobr wrote: »
    Would this pass the NCT next time given the bumper?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-renault-laguna-1-5-dci/17885652

Rear light won't pass.

Other pics won't load, how bad is it.

If it's hanging off its a fail or sharp edges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,106 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-nct-4-19-spotless-condition-/17921214

A Ven Sis
    NCT 4/19
    Only 595
    Good tyres, all round .
    Could have a years tax ,a car, and a NCT Until March 19 for under a grand.

ZTQzOTZkZGQ1MTg4N2FjMzM0NWViZTFjMTc0MmUzNmNTuLDQO5VIuwlfCcekmQbCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NDI1NDk2NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

07 1.6 Coupe with NCT to 2019 €1350

Looks clean. What are these like to drive?

Ok but found them cramped and wouldn't set your world on fire say....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

If it was red it would look like a Ferrari

ongarite wrote: »
    If it was red it would look like a Ferrari

;-). Never heard that before at all.

Now you say it though..... Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Seems cheap enough, not a bad looking car, but not going Limerick, in fact too cheap?

Is there a stigma around them being a woman's car...?

Is there a stigma around them being a woman's car...?

Yes....

Bit like the TT but the TT doesn't fit in there anymore as its actually quite a cool little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Mate had the 2( 2.2 maybe) litre version. Went like the clappers. Couldn't shift it when he went to sell it.
    Lovely car.

We constantly took the mick of his hair dressers car
    :D

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote:
    We constantly took the mick of his hair dressers car

That's the problem right there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ex of mine had one from brand new. Lovely car to drive, and surprisingly comfortable. Never mind the hairdresser stigma attached to them, I couldn't look further from a hairdresser and had no problem driving it.

Ex of mine had one from brand new. Lovely car to drive, and surprisingly comfortable. Never mind the hairdresser stigma attached to them, I couldn't look further from a hairdresser and had no problem driving it.

I had to drive a pink Micra convertible before.... I found a brown paper bag to fit....

Also the Tigra.... Oh god

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcgarry311

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place for this post, but you guys seem to know your stuff.
    I have a 2001 318 with a performance problem and want to get rid of it (if it was running well I'd keep it its a lovely car , prev owner put the interior of an M3 into it).
    I paid 1000 for it a few years ago so don't mind if it's worthless now...but my question is , what's the best way to get rid of it?
    Trade in ? (My budget is 3k for next car)
    Scrap? (Anyone know how much I could get?)
    Sell cheap on DD ? ( again how much if it needs work?)
    Sell parts first then scrap? (Do people do this?)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If its got a genuine E46 M3 interior its worth a lot more than scrap value. Put it on Donedeal for €500 and it should be snapped up sharpish.

What exactly is the problem?

mcgarry311 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place for this post, but you guys seem to know your stuff.
    I have a 2001 318 with a performance problem and want to get rid of it (if it was running well I'd keep it its a lovely car , prev owner put the interior of an M3 into it).
    I paid 1000 for it a few years ago so don't mind if it's worthless now...but my question is , what's the best way to get rid of it?
    Trade in ? (My budget is 3k for next car)
    Scrap? (Anyone know how much I could get?)
    Sell cheap on DD ? ( again how much if it needs work?)
    Sell parts first then scrap? (Do people do this?)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Put up for few quid.

Be honest in ad ..

If its got a genuine E46 M3 interior its worth a lot more than scrap value. Put it on Donedeal for €500 and it should be snapped up sharpish.

What exactly is the problem?

It's misfiring a lot, its weird...when it goes it keeps going till I ease off the throttle, then the next time I put the foot down it stumbles like crazy. I replaced maf, plugs, coils, 02 sensors...mechanic swears it's not a vacuum leak...so I honestly don't know what to do with it.

It's misfiring a lot, its weird...when it goes it keeps going till I ease off the throttle, then the next time I put the foot down it stumbles like crazy. I replaced maf, plugs, coils, 02 sensors...mechanic swears it's not a vacuum leak...so I honestly don't know what to do with it.

Hose or coils possibly

Hose or coils possibly

I put 4 new coils in...no change. It doesn't misfire when idling...and I'm pretty sure it doesn't misfire when it's in neutral...just when the engine is under load. I've read through dozens of forums and haven't found similar symptoms, and there are too many potential parts that I could change to try and fix it. I could get lucky and the next part I change might solve it...or it could take 10 attempts and I'd be after spending well over a grand

• Advertisement

I put 4 new coils in...no change. It doesn't misfire when idling...and I'm pretty sure it doesn't misfire when it's in neutral...just when the engine is under load. I've read through dozens of forums and haven't found similar symptoms, and there are too many potential parts that I could change to try and fix it. I could get lucky and the next part I change might solve it...or it could take 10 attempts and I'd be after spending well over a grand

One of mine was at that and was collapsing hoses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement