Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

grogi wrote: »
    No dsg in that car.

My bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The leather looks very good in that car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

are dsg in diesel octavias? didn't know they had triptronic, in petrols only or in all octavias? triptronic makes me think shifting paddles? looked it up and it seems like it may be before dsg? looks not too bad but mileage for a 1.6 petrol, what reputation does it have, heard good and bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, as a rule of thumb, there would have been tiptronic on the non turbocharged Octavia’s (1.6 8v, 1.6 FSI, 2.0 FSI) and DSG on the turbocharged ones (1.2/2.0 TSI, 1.6/1.9/2.0 TDI)

Tiptronic would have meant +/- function on the gear shifter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Think the timing chains on the early fsi stretched but it might not affect that model, or already be done at the mileage, auto box would be bullet proof, might need an oil change if its a bit slow to change. Looks like a decent car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Think the timing chains on the early fsi stretched but it might not affect that model, or already be done at the mileage, auto box would be bullet proof, might need an oil change if its a bit slow to change. Looks like a decent car for the money.

Fsi were belt not chains. I think you're confusing it with the early TSI

No the 1.6 petrol went from belt driven 16v and 8v dohc to chain driven when it went to fsi. Both the fsi and tsi had chain stretch issues.

Here's a diagram of the 1.4fsi, 1.6 is the same.

How-to-Replace-timing-chain-on-VW-Polo-9N-1.4-FSI-687x1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I stand corrected

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s350-long-tax-7-18-nct-5-18/17986553

ODRiMjVkMDc5OGIyZDhlZTM4YjMzMTkzNDBjNTllYWTY_fYlnGPXb9xuAZURC4cSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NDc5MTk4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I think this is better here than in the barge thread. Only NCT'd till May but it has six months non-PSV tax and nice spec, €1700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Jebus that Merc is some amount of car for the money! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Lot of car for the money. You could buy an 08 Octavia Tour and do a transplant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What am I missing with the Octavia? Looks like a scruffy crapbox.

It’s a very rare spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Cream leather, heated seats, climate control, elec. sunroof. There's a nice but of kit in it for it's generation.

You'd be hard pushed to find a higher spec'd reliable daily drivable car for €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L&k in Ireland is like seeing a granny driving a lambo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that would do me for my commute..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

L&k in Ireland is like seeing a granny driving a lambo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBVrLm9Zko

Eat your heart out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

elperello wrote: »

I meant in Ireland like....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Thanks for the link just forwarded it onto a poor mate who's 07 astra engine exploded on the weekend..
    I like the look of that one hopefully it's honest in the flesh...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, as a rule of thumb, there would have been tiptronic on the non turbocharged Octavia’s (1.6 8v, 1.6 FSI, 2.0 FSI) and DSG on the turbocharged ones (1.2/2.0 TSI, 1.6/1.9/2.0 TDI)

which is better dsg or triptronic or is it that straightforward given they seem ti apply to diesels ans petrols? from what I read it looks like dsg, but I haven't heard of triptronic anything in a while, they appear to be different designs, not sure most would tell their pros or cons apart me included as I've not driven either. I'd be inclined to an automatic these days.

colm_mcm wrote: »

which is better dsg or triptronic or is it that straightforward given they seem ti apply to diesels ans petrols? from what I read it looks like dsg, but I haven't heard of triptronic anything in a while, they appear to be different designs, not sure most would tell their pros or cons apart me included as I've not driven either. I'd be inclined to an automatic these days.

DSG is the business, even today. Tiptronic is a torque converter box, invented by Porsche IIRC. Had a Tiptronic style box in one of my FTOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

1874 wrote: »

Tiptronic just means there is an ability of the driver to manually trigger upshift or downshift in the gearbox. It has nothing really to do with the mechanical construction of the transmission. However, it has been commonly used to describe a torque converter transmission that enables such override.

DSG is a market name for dual clutch gearboxes sold in VAG cars. Dual clutch get very popular because it comes with almost zero penalty for oil pumping loses while offers almost instantaneous gears shifts. They are extremely complex and can cause expensive (or should I say more expensive than torque converter box) problems should anything goes wrong.

Torque converter boxes evolved too - some of them offering 8 or 9 forward gears and much faster shift times too. But with this comes complexity as well.

What is better? BMW is using 8 speed hydraulic boxes in majority of the cars, Ford dropped using Powershift DCT in petrol models and returned to torque converter transaxles too, while other manufacturers introduce new DCTs to the market - Renault, Kia/Hyundai etc. Personally, especially in a used car, I would go with a torque converter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Lovely interior - looks far better from the inside looking out than from the outside looking in! Wouldn't be a bad runabout if you could live with the tax, and probable high insurance.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement