Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

m17 wrote: »

"unwanted gift" there's a new one in a car ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Gravelly wrote: »

Read as "immediately found something concerning" I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

More like they bought it themselves and now the high running costs are beginning to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    More like they bought it themselves and now the high running costs are beginning to bite.

What a Wanke...l

*gets coat*

Read as "immediately found something concerning" I'd imagine

Or they've discovered that the "minor hot starting issue" actually means the engine is goosed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Or they've discovered that the "minor hot starting issue" actually means the engine is goosed!

There is no mention of mileage on it.. I've heard those engines only last at most 60,000.

Wonder if he did a compression test on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread for a while, one of the best and cleanest (rarely off topic) threads on Boards.

I'm shortly going to be in the market for a sub2k run around which ticks the following boxes:-
    • VW Polo to Ford Focus size car with 4/5 doors.
    • Good condition and half decent spec - remote locking + power steering + electric windows.
    • Small size engine as a 17 year old will be learning in and using it so cost of insurance a major consideration.
    • Used primarily as 2nd family car for running around suburbia.
    • I prefer value to price so will pay a bit more for quality. Not looking for the cheapest yoke on the road!!

I can keep an eye here for whats available but before I jump into something with both feet and later regret it I'd appreciate any suggestions on what makes/models to focus on or even to avoid.

I'm based in the Sandyford/Stillorgan area so anything in that neck of the woods would be easy to view but happy to travel a bit for the right car.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Friend has asked me to help sell their car, how much should I advertise it for?

03 Vw Golf 1.4 Match
    NCT until May
    Tax until March
    130k mls
    5 door, silver in colour and has alloys
    Car is in decent condition only that one of the rear doors wont open & that timing belt is probably due (they have it the last two years and have done 25,000 miles on it and never done it in their time)

Its in Bangernomic (possibly Fixerupper) territory anyways. Any idea on how much its worth is greatly appreciated!

Murt102 wrote: »
    Friend has asked me to help sell their car, how much should I advertise it for?

03 Vw Golf 1.4 Match
    NCT until May
    Tax until March
    130k mls
    5 door, silver in colour and has alloys
    Car is in decent condition only that one of the rear doors wont open & that timing belt is probably due (they have it the last two years and have done 25,000 miles on it and never done it in their time)

Its in Bangernomic (possibly Fixerupper) territory anyways. Any idea on how much its worth is greatly appreciated!

A lot of them advertised around the €1k mark, though I'd be dubious as to whether they are selling at that. To my mind it's probably in the €500 territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We sold an RX8 years ago and ended up taking it back, it was a present for yer mans wife. She didn’t like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We sold an RX8 years ago and ended up taking it back, it was a present for yer mans wife. She didn’t like it!

Yeah but who buys someone a rough-ish 11 year old rx8 as a present

I presume they were fresh and current when that guy bought it for his wife?

Yeah but who buys someone a rough-ish 11 year old rx8 as a present

I presume they were fresh and current when that guy bought it for his wife?

Yeah, it was only 3 years old IIRC. They had a lucky escape with that particular car as it happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread for a while, one of the best and cleanest (rarely off topic) threads on Boards.

I'm shortly going to be in the market for a sub2k run around which ticks the following boxes:-
    • Good condition and half decent spec - remote locking + power steering + electric windows.
    • Small size engine as a 17 year old will be learning in and using it so cost of insurance a major consideration.
    • I prefer value to price so will pay a bit more for quality. Not looking for the cheapest yoke on the road!!

I can keep an eye here for whats available but before I jump into something with both feet and later regret it I'd appreciate any suggestions on what makes/models to focus on or even to avoid.

I'm based in the Sandyford/Stillorgan area so anything in that neck of the woods would be easy to view but happy to travel a bit for the right car.

Your best bet, with a young driver, is a nice and clean 1.0. I recently helped a young family member get on the road (car, insurance) and it seemed we were just wasting time ringing up for quotes on any 1.2-1.4 cars.

This looks very nice

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-peugeot-107-1-0-tax-nct-41k-miles/17951316

NzRhYTM3NGVlZmFjNjY4MzVkNDMzYWQ4YWVmYzAzNDKRDAIuw_dd6v9pMMyYWH22aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTI3ODQ5MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »

You took it back!

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Hi all,

A buddy of mine is heading back home to Austria in about 4 weeks. He has an 02 1.0 yaris. Car is in good nick but might not be "cool" for a 17 year old. Also it is in Cork so not exactly close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You took it back!

Why?

Because customer is always right? It probably did bring not one sale in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

'07 Altea XL 1.9TDi Tax 5/18 New NCT 2/19 128k mls

I have same car, same year, engine etc. It will not do 50mpg, you might get high 40s if you drive like a nun. Was expecting better tbh, maybe I bought a dud.

You took it back!

Why?
    They’d bought a few cars from us so it was kinda the right thing to do I guess!

Boardsie Cube

https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/other-nissan/nissan-cube/14833754

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

^^^
    I think I was in that Avensis taxi recently. I was talking to the driver about it. He said it was a great car, but his accountant insisted he sell it because of the fuel bills. He said he'd just put a deposit on a Prius.

grogi wrote: »
    Because customer is always right? It probably did bring not one sale in future...

The customer isn't always right. There are some instances where you have to draw the line. I can see where colm is coming from though if they were good customers.

A buddy of mine is heading back home to Austria in about 4 weeks. He has an 02 1.0 yaris. Car is in good nick but might not be "cool" for a 17 year old. Also it is in Cork so not exactly close to you.

Thanks Toyotaavensis, if it's a 4 door Yaris and it's in good nick etc I wouldn't rule it out, the only concern I'd have is it's over 15 years old so may make insuring more difficult. The 2006 Peugeot 107 Duke O Smiley linked to is ideal i.e. low mileage, good spec and clean inside and but might be a few weeks early for me as the young lad isn't sitting his theory test until mid April.

Once he has that in the bag I'll be in a position to buy something.

BTW, what's the norm for getting young lads started insurance wise? Should I put the car in his name and take a full (3rd party only) insurance policy out on him or register the car as a 2nd car in my own name (I am paying to buy it and will be paying for the maintenance of it!) and have him as a named driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

BTW, what's the norm for getting young lads started insurance wise? Should I put the car in his name and take a full (3rd party only) insurance policy out on him or register the car as a 2nd car in my own name (I am paying to buy it and will be paying for the maintenance of it!) and have him as a named driver?

If you already have a car insured in your own name the Insurance co will know that the second car is for the young lad and charge accordingly. So it wont really make much difference. Be prepared for €5k - €6k quotes and hopefully settling for somewhere around €3.5k. Get the reg no's off some suitable cars and enter the information on line to get some idea but best of luck with it.

emeldc wrote: »
    If you already have a car insured in your own name the Insurance co will know that the second car is for the young lad and charge accordingly. So it wont really make much difference. Be prepared for €5k - €6k quotes and hopefully settling for somewhere around €3.5k. Get the reg no's off some suitable cars and enter the information on line to get some idea but best of luck with it.

Mmmm.

Might give it as a present to the spinster in law (who's in her 40's) that lives with us and drives a POS VW Polo which won't pass the next NCT without more being spent on it than the car is worth - central locking not working, engine over heating, timing belt needed, clutch on the way out etc etc.

She could own the "new" car and he could be a named driver on her policy I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/gt-tdi-golf/17950521

Golf TD 2005
    New NCT
    4 New tyres,
    New Battery,
    2 x Front springs
    2 x Front shocks,
    New pads all round,
    2 x Wishbone Bushings,
    Full service.

MDM5NzgwOTM5NDFiZDcwMDk2NWY2MGI4YWJiNmE2ODR-QeGuZAIQdXRCbcIiIGHuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NDUxODM4M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

note to Mods- this is my own car here -

'02 Astra 1.4 auto estate.
    Passed the NCT yesterday for a full year (tho' the ad is showing as NCT expiry Feb 18)
    144,500 miles.
    1 owner from new when I bought it.
    I bought it as a bangernomics purchase approx 2.5 years ago, and in the time I've had the following done:
    TB & WP shortly after purchase @ 131k miles.
    4 new Uniroyal Rainmaster tyres - still plenty of tread on them.
    Regular servicing etc.
    It's grand as a runabout, handy space.
    It does have a sunroof, but this has been sealed shut - the gasket around the glass perished. (It doesn't leak btw)
    Priced at €850 which is probably a bit strong, but open to offers.
    Any pointers on the add gratefully accepted :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-opel-astra-1-4-automatic/18075028

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Similar boat here. The BMW is costing too much these days, looking for bangernomics. Max 2.5k.

Cheap tax
    Automatic
    Preferably estate or 4x4
    Something sporty with decent spec

Bearing in mind...This is my current daily 200bhp e46 wagon..the cons of which are..

The ridiculousy low and hard suspension.
    The 2.0 diesel tax
    It's coming on 200k miles now
    Everyday something new goes wrong with it, my repair bills in the 3 years of ownership amount to almost 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

@ HM - regular commuter on the N11?
    Saw a very similar touring recently - nice :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

tc20 wrote: »
    @ HM - regular commuter on the N11?
    Saw a very similar touring recently - nice :cool:

Nice when parked. Terrible to drive in for two hours a day.

Not me I'm afraid, probably some other poor chap with a massive BMW headache!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement