Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Best of luck with the sale tc20. Looks a clean and obviously well minded car

Only a minor thing, but I would try and re-take the photos in landscape mode as it makes them easier to inspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Thanks Toyotaavensis, if it's a 4 door Yaris and it's in good nick etc I wouldn't rule it out, the only concern I'd have is it's over 15 years old so may make insuring more difficult. The 2006 Peugeot 107 Duke O Smiley linked to is ideal i.e. low mileage, good spec and clean inside and but might be a few weeks early for me as the young lad isn't sitting his theory test until mid April.

Once he has that in the bag I'll be in a position to buy something.

BTW, what's the norm for getting young lads started insurance wise? Should I put the car in his name and take a full (3rd party only) insurance policy out on him or register the car as a 2nd car in my own name (I am paying to buy it and will be paying for the maintenance of it!) and have him as a named driver?
    Its 3 door so doesn't sound like one for you

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/gt-tdi-golf/17950521

Golf TD 2005
    New NCT
    4 New tyres,
    New Battery,
    2 x Front springs
    2 x Front shocks,
    New pads all round,
    2 x Wishbone Bushings,
    Full service.

Tempting... If my own car sold soon then I would definitely go view that. 9 previous owners is the only thing scaring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Murt102 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/gt-tdi-golf/17950521

Golf TD 2005
    New NCT
    4 New tyres,
    New Battery,
    2 x Front springs
    2 x Front shocks,
    New pads all round,
    2 x Wishbone Bushings,
    Full service.

Tempting... If my own car sold soon then I would definitely go view that. 9 previous owners is the only thing scaring me.

Ask them. Some people transfer ownership to wipe tax arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Similar boat here. The BMW is costing too much these days, looking for bangernomics.

The ridiculousy low and hard suspension.
    The 2.0 diesel tax
    It's coming on 200k miles now
    Everyday something new goes wrong with it, my repair bills in the 3 years of ownership amount to almost 2k.

€2k over three years in maintenance for a high mileage 320d with low suspension isn’t actually that expensive, in fact I’d nearly guess it’s pretty cheap motoring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

166man wrote: »
    €2k over three years in maintenance for a high mileage 320d with low suspension isn’t actually that expensive, in fact I’d nearly guess it’s pretty cheap motoring...

probably spend 2k a year on my 06 landcruiser I use for work.

It lives on a quarry mind so thats pretty acceptable.

700e odd a year on maintenance I'd be a happy boy :pac::pac::pac:

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thanks Toyotaavensis, if it's a 4 door Yaris and it's in good nick etc I wouldn't rule it out, the only concern I'd have is it's over 15 years old so may make insuring more difficult. The 2006 Peugeot 107 Duke O Smiley linked to is ideal i.e. low mileage, good spec and clean inside and but might be a few weeks early for me as the young lad isn't sitting his theory test until mid April.

Once he has that in the bag I'll be in a position to buy something.

BTW, what's the norm for getting young lads started insurance wise? Should I put the car in his name and take a full (3rd party only) insurance policy out on him or register the car as a 2nd car in my own name (I am paying to buy it and will be paying for the maintenance of it!) and have him as a named driver?

I got my young lad a seat Ibiza. 1.1. Went on the Aviva young driver programme. Excellent deal. First ins in his own name fully comp €830. 2nd year was sub €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

166man wrote: »

That's excluding services and tyres. I'm only counting bits and bobs that went wrong like turbo, 2x Calipers, locks, altenator, thermostat, heater unit, reversing sensors and every single bushing in the rear plus other suspension bits...the list is long, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

I got my young lad a seat Ibiza. 1.1. Went on the Aviva young driver programme. Excellent deal. First ins in his own name fully comp €830. 2nd year was sub €800.

That is an excellent price for first time insurance, is there some type of tracking device fitted on car to bring down the cost ?.

I am trying to get quotes at present for my daughter and I am getting nowhere near those figures , all quotes I have received so far are greater than 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I've over 25 years of accident-free motoring to my name, with insurance in my own name since I was 18, and my insurance is less than €200 cheaper (granted my car is worth more, but still!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus christ. I'm 29 with a full clean licence for 10 years and I bought a 1 litre micra to try and keep the insurance down and it's still more than that!!! Some deal the young fella got

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

dobman88 wrote: »
    Jesus christ. I'm 29 with a full clean licence for 10 years and I bought a 1 litre micra to try and keep the insurance down and it's still more than that!!! Some deal the young fella got

35 and it's cheaper than mine by a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

35 and it's cheaper than mine by a lot.

Sick isn't it. I recently rang for to quote a vw passat and audi a4 for a laugh and it would only increase by €200. I'm seriously considering buying something like that since its such a tiny difference

dobman88 wrote: »

Some deal he got ok...fookin free :):)

davycha wrote: »
    That is an excellent price for first time insurance, is there some type of tracking device fitted on car to bring down the cost ?.

I am trying to get quotes at present for my daughter and I am getting nowhere near those figures , all quotes I have received so far are greater than 2k

No,there's no tracking device. Aviva run an excellent beginner programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-2-diesel-fresh-nct/18083967

Honda Accord 07
    Premium sound system
    4 New tyres

ZWNmNTQ0NDBkOWI5ZjQ3ZWVkNTdjYjRiN2YzZTUyNmb4OiRu3f2R7SuM2uk2Cq-qaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTU3NDA5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-beautiful-car-tax-amp-nct/18085438

NzliOTBiZDk3NWM3YzkyZmI3YzE2YjUzOTQ4NzkzMzYvz8-Keubc26FURaoPUrjOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTU4NjQ0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

08 159 petrol, NCT & tax till June €1950

I'd like a longer test if I was paying top bangernomics money for a car, but the tax is a nice bonus. 1 previous owner and a posh looking garden are good signs too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Is this the programme your son went on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That Alfa looks very well taken car of even though it's the basic version.
    Tax alone is a few hundred and I'd nearly have faith the NCT would pass just looking at the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

bear1 wrote: »
    That Alfa looks very well taken car of even though it's the basic version.
    Tax alone is a few hundred and I'd nearly have faith the NCT would pass just looking at the ad.
    I always assume that if the tax is paid yearly,there is enough money in the budget for repairs and maintenance.

Is this the programme your son went on?

Dont want to drag the thread off course,but essentially yes. He did the first part of that program. You have to take the lessons with their approved instructors,this works out about a fiver more expensive per lesson than going direct but the young driver gets 6months insurance on your car completely free(Avila policy)
    After the 6months you must pay for the next 6 months, they tried to screw me with a silly price but I fought them and eventually got it for around €350.
    When he completes the lessons the instructor signs him off as a competent driver and whether or not he has passed the test they(Avila)will give him a 30% NBC on his policy in his own name.
    Hope this helps somebody out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wow, very good spec on that.

I've never seen an 8th gen Civic with sat nav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Think mostly UK ones had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Wow, very good spec on that.

I've never seen an 8th gen Civic with sat nav

My 2008 EX has factory sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The run out ti spec civic was fitted by honda with a pioneer aftermarket av unit with sat nav also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this an EP shape Civic ye’re on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement