Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

bear1 wrote: »
    Bearings?

I'm sure the NCT guy would have found that when spinning it by hand. They once done me for a bearing and when I inspected the car there was nothing wrong with it even inspecting it off the car there was nothing wrong with it. I'm sure if I went back in and done nothing to it, it would have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'm sure the NCT guy would have found that when spinning it by hand. They once done me for a bearing and when I inspected the car there was nothing wrong with it even inspecting it off the car there was nothing wrong with it. I'm sure if I went back in and done nothing to it, it would have passed.

The nct won't pick up on a noisy gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A top up or even better changing gear box oil may help.

It could be too far gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

bazz26 wrote: »
    This would concern me:

"NOISE in 3rd gear when slowing down. Otherwise it's drives perfect."

Maybe it's a cheap fix like the one Brewer and China had on Wheeler Dealer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

I was replying to a bearing query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah when a seller says "noise from engine/ gearbox, could be something simple", you can bet your bottom dollar that it's something critical and to believe anything less would be naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah when a seller says "noise from engine/ gearbox, could be something simple", you can bet your bottom dollar that it's something critical and to believe anything less would be naive.

Seller hasn't offered any opinion though, so it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe it's a cheap fix like the one Brewer and China had on Wheeler Dealer :-)

Could well be if you have Ed China chained in your garage. :D

I suppose at just over a grand it's worth a punt but even if you didn't get it fixed you could get the summer out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Could be coincidental and nothing to do with the gearbox at all. My airbox resonates when accelerating and makes an awful racket, louder in third and fourth.

Bingo.

In third, you are doing a certain speed, hence possibly wheel balance issue or drive shaft resonating at particular speed only

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was an issue like this with my wife's Suzuki Ignis, 4Grip model.
    Turned out the car took a knock in it's previous life and the rear axle had a kink in it, had to replace the whole thing, brought one in from a scrapyard in the UK.
    To diagnose the car ended being driven at speed on the M1 with one mechanic behind the wheel and another with the rear seat out, his ear to the bulkhead there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/17988958

Civic , maybe a bit on the dear side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They're very good for that money. The saloon isn't as practical but it's still a rock solid car. There's decades left in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

8th gen Civic is a fantastic bangernomics buy lately.

That saloon looks very good. Do they all have twin pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah. They would. Spec is different to the hatch, better than the SE-S hatch (base) spec - still some annoying omissions but they’re a very good car IMO. feels very Japanese old Skool Honda inside (in a good way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I was replying to a bearing query.

So was he. There are bearings in the gearbox.

They're very good for that money. The saloon isn't as practical but it's still a rock solid car. There's decades left in that car.

The saloon isn't as practical or as well spec'd but it's a better car in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The saloon isn't as practical or as well spec'd but it's a better car in other areas.

Suspension mainly isn't it ?

It's not until you drive the hatch you realise how firm it is. Wasn't a deal breaker for me but I do miss gliding over ramps in the Mondeo.

Suspension mainly isn't it ?

It's not until you drive the hatch you realise how firm it is. Wasn't a deal breaker for me but I do miss gliding over ramps in the Mondeo.

Suspension and I think they are a bit better built.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah. They would. Spec is different to the hatch, better than the SE-S hatch (base) spec - still some annoying omissions but they’re a very good car IMO. feels very Japanese old Skool Honda inside (in a good way)

Did the saloon suffer from the rusty roof, like the hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

job seeker wrote: »
    Did the saloon suffer from the rusty roof, like the hatchback?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No.

Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ligertigon wrote: »
    Bingo.

In third, you are doing a certain speed, hence possibly wheel balance issue or drive shaft resonating at particular speed only

Or like my Alfa the first sign the gearbox is ****ed. You'd never realise unless you knew what to look for. I reckon the transfer box is ****ed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Cooper S with NCT to 8/18 €1500

No tax, no bangernomics.

Edit* ignore me.. nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

That'd be a fun weekend toy with minimal outlay. Shame I'm saving for something else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

163bhp in something the size of a shoe, must be a seriously fun car to chuck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    163bhp in something the size of a shoe, must be a seriously fun car to chuck around.

It's brilliant.

Supercharged engine delivers power without any lag and with that awesome whine while the suspension gives you the confidence to use that power.

I wouldn't get one unless it was R53 from 2006/2007 though. They are horribly unreliable, the last model years being much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

dbrunson wrote: »

On a Laguna! Wonder how many breakdowns he had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

dbrunson wrote: »

559k right? 56k a year average, not bad going but his price is pretty strong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement