Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As in 180000 miles.

Ah! Get ya. We see plenty of 200k+ mile petrol and diesel Skodas. The only reason most Skodas are put off the road is either because the insurance and tax are too dear to make it worth keeping, or people just want to trade up. Rarely see one actually die.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

And it's sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Bxe tdi's can do big mileage for sure.

Unfortunately they can also go bang without warning, they're quite the luckybag of a yoke

Bxe tdi's can do big mileage for sure.

Unfortunately they can also go bang without warning, they're quite the luckybag of a yoke

I think the reputation of the BXE is nowhere near as bad as lads would have you believe (if it was, the scrapyards would be full of them with great big holes in the block), and any of them that make 100k seem to go on forever. That said, the Skoda seems to be a more reliable unit than the VW - especially when it comes to diesel pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

NjNjYjVlMTkwOGIzZjlhMTAxZTMwZjNjYzRjMWIzZGNYMyHvEhziiTaRjqOZizODaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTgwMzMxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2.5 turbo petrol for almost bangernomics money! €2300. Test until December.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-2007-2-5-st-titanum/17958884

• Advertisement

..Brian.. wrote: »
    NjNjYjVlMTkwOGIzZjlhMTAxZTMwZjNjYzRjMWIzZGNYMyHvEhziiTaRjqOZizODaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTgwMzMxMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2.5 turbo petrol for almost bangernomics money! €2300. Test until December.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-2007-2-5-st-titanum/17958884

Yet another car that could be a handy family runabout for someone if it wasn't for the idiotic Irish tax system.

Gravelly wrote: »
    I think the reputation of the BXE is nowhere near as bad as lads would have you believe (if it was, the scrapyards would be full of them with great big holes in the block), and any of them that make 100k seem to go on forever. That said, the Skoda seems to be a more reliable unit than the VW - especially when it comes to diesel pumps.

It's well deserved in my opinion.

I know of two locally that went wallop with well over 140k miles on the clock.

No scrap yard will have f#cked blocks stacked up, why would they?

They do however have good bkc blocks stacked up and ready for sale, as it's a popular way of getting your once bxe powered car back on the road.

It's well deserved in my opinion.

I know of two locally that went wallop with well over 140k miles on the clock.

No scrap yard will have f#cked blocks stacked blocks stacked up, why would they?

They do however have good bkc blocks stacked up and ready for sale, as it's a popular way of getting your once bxe powered car back on the road.

I didn't say they'd have the blocks stacked up, more that there would be lots of otherwise serviceable cars with blown engines - not the case afaik.

I've heard all the stories about them, I'm just basing it on the number we see with blown engines in the garage, which would be a very small percentage of those engines.

It's gotten to the stage now though that if they go you just cut your losses and get another car.

They're middlen bangernomics considering the mpg, simplicity and cheap tax but I'd certainly take an A series tdi in a cheap tax mk1 octavia over a bxe mk2 in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gravelly wrote: »
    Yet another car that could be a handy family runabout for someone if it wasn't for the idiotic Irish tax system.

If the tax was cheap the car wouldn’t be.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If the tax was cheap the car wouldn’t be.

Even with cheap tax, I can't see an 11 year old Ford people carrier being worth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Half a million kilometres in a Renault is a grim grim place.

How about covering it in 4 and a bit years in a Flatulence (Not bangernomics and too expensive)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fluence-taxi-nct-10-18-tax-10-18/18065682

ba_barabus wrote: »
    How about covering it in 4 and a bit years in a Flatulence (Not bangernomics and too expensive)

Jaysus that's some going. and it's the 90bhp model!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

ba_barabus wrote: »

You'd be wanting a knee replacement in a manual. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

http://www.adverts.ie/14449742

Pic it up surely for 2k? Nice - especially with the weather we are having

everlast75 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/14449742

Pic it up surely for 2k? Nice - especially with the weather we are having

Nice to see one that isn't blue! Looks very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

tyney wrote: »
    Is that not front wheel drive like all the other soft-roaders?

It's 4wd with a lock button that works up to 30 kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nasty enough yoke the other 51 weeks a year though?

Nasty enough yoke the other 51 weeks a year though?
    There's one on my driveway.
    It's the domestic appliance. Ferrying filthy kids from football matches, carrying coal and logs, and excellent today with winter tyres on it.
    And if you slide into a ditch, set it on fire to keep you warm until help arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 1.6 petrol engine is a Suzuki engine is it? Drove a Suzuki one and though it was decent in a Japanese kind of way to be fair to it.

The 1.6 petrol engine is a Suzuki engine is it? Drove a Suzuki one and though it was decent in a Japanese kind of way to be fair to it.

Yep. No timing belt roulette. 3 years with 3 oil and filter changes. Front discs and pads. One set of tyres and fuel.
    Great bangernomics.
    Handles OK as well. Passengers generally reach the limit before the tyres.
    Only fiat thing on it is the badge. Ironically... That fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s the sake thing as a Suzuki SX4,

It’s got a brilliant name, Sedici is the Italian word for 16 (4X4)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Blown turbo on that Octavia Scout. Seller claims to have spent 4.5k on it last year too and now the turbo is gone so it sounds like they are cutting their losses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Blown turbo on that Octavia Scout. Seller claims to have spent 4.5k on it last year too and now the turbo is gone so it sounds like they are cutting their losses on it.

cutting their losses at 211k miles. but a fairly cool car all the same, other than a compression test, how could you know if you just need to replace turbo, and not engine repairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tyney wrote: »

!NO TEXAS! :)

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement