Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Shame it's in Galway if it was closer to Dublin id love it

If I wanted that car and it's in good nick the I'd take Saturday off and go and get it. It's worth a half day on the road to have peace of mind in a car that you want and that you'll be driving for 6 months or a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Shame it's in Galway if it was closer to Dublin id love it

It's near ballinsloe, straight down the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I thought you said previously that you were done with diesels?

In terms of a long term option. For two months I'd have gone with one.

Is this Bora petrol or diesel, 1.4 petrol is gutless but the diesel is a fantastic car. I have I from new for 16 years and it has been excellent. A few door locks, air mass meter and injector harness and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is this Bora petrol or diesel, 1.4 petrol is gutless but the diesel is a fantastic car. I have I from new for 16 years and it has been excellent. A few door locks, air mass meter and injector harness and that's it.

1.4 petrol, gutless is right. I had a relatively new one back in 2001 so it's not my first rodeo with the gutless wonder. 114k miles, test for year+ and tb was done recently enough so it ticked some boxes for me, the cheap tax helps too. Only for a few months...those months won't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

jharr100 wrote: »

I picked up an 07 9-5 2.0 litre petrol yesterday. Nct until october. 1150

A crazy amount of car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Been following this thread for a while because as I expected my car failed the nct. It failed on poxy rust but it's coming in around 300/400 to fix and the car isn't worth that.

Max budget 750, could stretch to 800. Ideally max 1.4 petrol or any size diesel (insurance quotes coming back on the cheap side for diesels)

Based in Ashbourne so ideally north Dublin or Meath but can travel within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

dobman88 wrote: »
    Been following this thread for a while because as I expected my car failed the nct. It failed on poxy rust but it's coming in around 300/400 to fix and the car isn't worth that.

Max budget 750, could stretch to 800. Ideally max 1.4 petrol or any size diesel (insurance quotes coming back on the cheap side for diesels)

Based in Ashbourne so ideally north Dublin or Meath but can travel within reason

If the car only has the rust issue and that's the price to fix it then I can't see why you'd spent double the repair on a car you know nothing about.
    Personally if the car you have is reliable etc then I'd go for the repair.

bear1 wrote: »
    If the car only has the rust issue and that's the price to fix it then I can't see why you'd spent double the repair on a car you know nothing about.

It's a 00 micra. Owes me nothing but is on its last legs. Had it checked this morning and mechanic says 300 minimum. Two front tyres are due a change too although they passed the nct.

Just few small things with the micra too that would pass the nct but car is on the way out anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bear1 wrote: »

I'd be in the same general geographic location as the OP and I couldn't for love nor money find a garage willing to take on €2k worth of welding on a van a few months back.

I wouldn't waste my time going to the same bother with an 00 Micra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I'd be in the same general geographic location as the OP and I couldn't for love nor money find a garage willing to take on €2k worth of welding on a van a few months back.

I wouldn't waste my time going to the same bother with an 00 Micra

Jeez, I hope they're always as fuggin' busy. Recession's over, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

emeldc wrote: »
    Jeez, I hope they're always as fuggin' busy. Recession's over, wha?

If it was over, everyone is driving a brand new Merc and no welding needed... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

It's a 00 micra. Owes me nothing but is on its last legs. Had it checked this morning and mechanic says 300 minimum. Two front tyres are due a change too although they passed the nct.

Just few small things with the micra too that would pass the nct but car is on the way out anyway
    Like Duke I'm surprised you can find someone to do the welding, but if they will then I'd think about hanging on to the car. If you buy a car in the EUR750 range, odds are you'll have a few small bits to put right with it too, and strong chance that the tyres are either worn or just not very good quality to begin with...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's never worth spending 300-400 euro on welding a rusty 00 micra. The chances are you will be back in the same position next year with the car requiring more welding. I know some will go on about the better the devil you know argument but rust is where i'd draw the line.

You will get a nice rust free car for your budget that will be a few years newer than what you have and if you pick the right car it should last you a good few years with next to no problems outside of regular maintenance. I'd be looking at something like a 2002-2007 corolla or a 2001-2006 civic saloon.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's never worth spending 300-400 euro on welding a rusty 00 micra. The chances are you will be back in the same position next year with the car requiring more welding. I know some will go on about the better the devil you know argument but rust is where i'd draw the line.

You will get a nice rust free car for your budget that will be a few years newer than what you have and if you pick the right car it should last you a good few years with next to no problems outside of regular maintenance. I'd be looking at something like a 2002-2007 corolla or a 2001-2006 civic saloon.

Yeah it's on both sides and there's gaping holes there, the guy showed me this morning. Also in behind the wheel arches is just rotting away. If I thought it was worth fixing the car I would do it in a heart beat. I look like a giant inside it but I absolutely love the car. Had a 97 micra before this one.

I've been looking on done deal today and seems to be some corollas and Nissan almeras for the budget. I have until the end of the month so not panicking just yet.

Almeras are awful cars tbh - and prone to rust.

A Corolla or Civic will be an immeasurably better car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-3-2004-1-4-taxed/18217881

Obviously I'd have to go see it and ask if it would pass an nct but thoughts on that?

Mazda 3s are nice cars but you could very well be back to square one buying one with no NCT. They are another car very prone to rust. My brother had one a few months ago with front wings like swiss cheese.

That Avensis looks very rough. Its an ex-taxi by the looks of things. I'd steer clear on that one but if you can find a decent one, go for it. They're fairly robust

• Advertisement

Mazda 3s are nice cars but you could very well be back to square one buying one with no NCT. They are another car very prone to rust. My brother had one a few months ago with front wings like swiss cheese.

That Avensis looks very rough. Its an ex-taxi by the looks of things. I'd steer clear on that one but if you can find a decent one, go for it. They're fairly robust

Yeah wouldn't get that particular one as I thought it looked rough. Also white alloys, wtf? Lol.

Just posted it to see if I'm looking along the right lines.

I've never actually bought a car myself before. My ex's Dad was a mechanic and he bought my previous cars for me so this is all new to me

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-new-nct/18117403

YjY4NTQ1YWE2NTlhYWYzOTllM2E2OGY5YmZmZDMwNmPMIk80kZ8GyMSqSD5dVXkQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTg4NTc4OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This would be a fairly safe bet. NCT for a year and its in Ashbourne - €675. Not as nice looking as the hatchback but a solid car nonetheless.

That's great thanks. Just requested the phone number so will contact the seller if support give it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's great thanks. Just requested the phone number so will contact the seller if support give it to me

Click the "Show Phone Number" button?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, 0851682373. Note that seller has 3 cars for sale, new NCT is legit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-3-2004-1-4-taxed/18217881

Obviously I'd have to go see it and ask if it would pass an nct but thoughts on that?

No NCT, if seller was as confident in his description of the car, they would have it put the car through till Feb 19

edit:
    Corolla looks a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If your buying a Corolla buy a hatch, saloon are a god awful looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The portakabin crowd Motor Rox selling the Mazda3 say established 1991 on their donedeal ad. Never heard of them

How's this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/18218578?campaign=3

5 months nct, not a very complicated car to live with and tax is cheap.
    Bit rough but still... 300e

• Advertisement

Or this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-nct-03-19/18213938

Just under 800e which I'm guessing could be gotten for less.
    Years nct as well and it's the facelift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement