Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Or you could "splash out" and go for the grande punto.
    Short nct though until May.
    Something tells me it was an ex rental but just my own opinion.
    Smart enough looking car for under 1k and certainly a step up car wise.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-2006-nct-05-18/18108972

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lovely wing mirrors on the Grande Punto! The Bill Griffin sticker is a sure sign of quality too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Click the "Show Phone Number" button?

For some reason, it says contact support for this phone number when I click that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The portakabin crowd Motor Rox selling the Mazda3 say established 1991 on their donedeal ad. Never heard of them

17 years in a portakabin...business must be bad

17 years in a portakabin...business must be bad

Not as bad as your maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Not as bad as your maths

It's hard to believe 1991 was 27 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If your buying a Corolla buy a hatch, saloon are a god awful looking yoke.

They aren't bad looking as far as a c segment saloon cars from that era go. For the money the above example would be more than fine.

Tbh it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. A decent car, long nct, won't kill me on insurance and after driving two small micras looks is on the bottom end of things I look for, I'm just like a giant in the micra now so would be nice to change up if I can. I'll be 30 this year, how the fck did that creep up on me

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbh it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. A decent car, long nct, won't kill me on insurance and after driving two small micras looks is on the bottom end of things I look for, I'm just like a giant in the micra now so would be nice to change up if I can. I'll be 30 this year, how the fck did that creep up on me

You will find it a massive step up in comfort and refinement coming from a micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Saloons tend to have an easier life imho given the age profile of the owners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

rizzodun wrote: »
    2005 Passat
    NCT 02/19
    Tax 05/18
    €1,400

Looks like good value, gonna have a look at this hopefully later this week if still around.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-estate-new-nct/18078867

Picked this up today, had a friend look at it last night as it's almost 2 hours from me and he bought it on the spot. Tight as a drum and running perfect, a couple of scuff marks to be expected for it's age but overall very tidy.
    130 is nippy too.

Not a big VW fan but happy out, it should do the job nicely.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You will find it a massive step up in comfort and refinement coming from a micra.

Yes it seems perfect so hope it's still there tomorrow. If it's as good as it looks I'll take it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes it seems perfect so hope it's still there tomorrow. If it's as good as it looks I'll take it there and then.

Stay well clear of small cars such as Micra.

I had to start off in one myself for few years due to insurance but even been 6 foot was a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I had one of those Sirions as a rental once and they are a very competent small car. That one has panel damage in at least four places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna/18222903

Renault laguna for sale tested till September 2019 with four new tyres recently put on, as 08 has cheap tax of 270 per year, 55mpg, for sale as haven't a need for a second car and recently upgraded 800 Ono

bit of a bargain for a chape tax car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-new-nct/18117403

YjY4NTQ1YWE2NTlhYWYzOTllM2E2OGY5YmZmZDMwNmPMIk80kZ8GyMSqSD5dVXkQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTg4NTc4OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This would be a fairly safe bet. NCT for a year and its in Ashbourne - €675. Not as nice looking as the hatchback but a solid car nonetheless.

Just bought this.

Turns out the guy lives across the road from me. As in i can see his house from mine. Mad stuff.

Car is in perfect condition. Body is in great shape for its age. Very smooth drive, not a rattle or a sound out of it and everything working perfectly. Ended up getting it for 650. And the seller was a nice bloke too.

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I've found a little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Sold already. Can't say I'm surprised. Clicked the link earlier when you posted it and had a feeling it wouldn't be hanging around long. Someone got a good deal :cool:

Just bought this.

Turns out the guy lives across the road from me. As in i can see his house from mine. Mad stuff.

Car is in perfect condition. Body is in great shape for its age. Very smooth drive, not a rattle or a sound out of it and everything working perfectly. Ended up getting it for 650. And the seller was a nice bloke too.

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I've found a little gem.

Looks like you have. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Looks like you have. Best of luck with it

Yeah met my next door neighbour and he's bought two cars off him over the years, says he's a sound guy and he's selling another car to my plumber later. Seems like a genuine fella so overall very happy with how it went.

Credit to Duke for the find.

FORD MONDEO 1.8 TDCI

NCT 01/19
    TAX 03/18

160k miles.........€1,900

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-lx-1-8-tdci/18206169

ZmRiM2Q0ZmEyOGY4ZDdkYzAxNmE4ZmI3NDMxNjBlNmUbtmC3KxpU6yFyZU0qqJD-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjYxMzA4NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2008 SKODA ROOMSTER 1.4TDI
    New Nct valid until January 2019
    Timing belt and waterpump just done at 264kms
    €2,000 ....
    Mileage 181,000 miles
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-skoda-roomster-1-4tdi-new-nct-low-tax/18087654
    NmUxMTEyMzlmNmIxYWZhZmU1YjQwMjZlZThmYzEwMTRh-OoG924k4mHkEGHQd7I6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NTYwNTM5OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Hey guys,

I need a big favour. I would need for you guys to do the same magic as you did with dobman for me. :pac: :pac:

Current car is having a few issues and I have always been looking at changing anyway as the car is too big for my current usage. However, budget is tight. I am looking for a lend from family but not huge money. I'm thinking around 1000 if absolutely necessary for decency, but the lower the price, the better. Put it this way, I probably would've contested dobman for that Corolla if I noticed it at the time :pac: :pac: . Looking for reliability, and couldn't care less about looks. One issue is that I am a massive bloke that do not physically fit into pandas, yarissseess (yari?), micra, and the likes. The only small car that I fitted into previously was a punto. Loved it for 13 years but wasn't that reliable.

TL:DR
    -Budget - possibly 1000, preferrably lower
    -Preference, something that will fit a fat 6"2 bloke, reliability reputation.
    -1.4 petrol/maybe diesel would be good as well? Did around 55k KM last year.
    -Preferrably 2005 and above as insurance quote increased me when I tried to get a quote for a 2004. Hoping to keep that down, too.

Thank you very much in advance guys. BTW, I love this thread. I'd love the bargains that some people have gotten. Thanks again!

EDIT: APOLOGIES, only clicked in my brain now. Did 55000 kilometers. APOLOGIES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

55k miles in a year? A diesel yoke is your only option really.

What's the current car? I'd have thought a big car would be very much needed for that sorta driving.

55k miles in a year? A diesel yoke is your only option really.

What's the current car? I'd have thought a big car would be very much needed for that sorta driving.

Yeah, didn't expect to do that much, tbh. And really hoping to do less this year as situation is a bit different, a little less travel involved. Roughly, I think I spent twice the cost of the car in petrol within that year. :pac:

Current car is a grand scenic(7 seater when I'm usually the only one in it), but I usually only drive in Dublin. Just a lot of travel back and forth through the M50 mostly.

EDIT: APOLOGIES, only clicked in my brain now. Did 55000 kilometers not miles. APOLOGIES.

Mz_Y0_YTRh_OGQx_Zj_Ri_OTQ0_Zj_U1_Mzgx_YTMx_OGUz_NWM3_ZWTWuk_Pi_JIov8_HTJd_Bxtwe_CG.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-toledo-1-9-tdi/18046770

This might suit anyone looking for a simple turbo diesel car.
    2004 Toledo 110bhp tdi (non pd)
    Vw's best tdi engine imo
    Test till October
    Tax till the end of March
    Looks very clean except for that mark under the passenger side rear light.
    Seems to be have a decent spec
    And the ad gives off a genuine vibe.
    Asking €1000

I posted this a few weeks back and it's still up on dd. Might suit ya. If it's still for sale you should get it for a nice bit less than €1000

I posted this a few weeks back and it's still up on dd. Might suit ya. If it's still for sale you should get it for a nice bit less than €1000

That's great. I was just checking donedeal for some ideas and saw a few seats and didn't know what to think about them regarding reliability. If it's been suggested here, I'm sure they have some reputation of being reliable enough. Will get a quote from insurance company tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

That's great. I was just checking donedeal for some ideas and saw a few seats and didn't know what to think about them regarding reliability. If it's been suggested here, I'm sure they have some reputation of being reliable enough. Will get a quote from insurance company tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Depends on the seat in question really but that particular model Toledo is generally very reliable. They share loads of parts with mk4 golfs, bora's and octavia's. And they're simple cheap cars to fix should anything go wrong.

The 110bhp tdi engine is usually super reliable too and very economical.

Things to look out for would be flywheel rattle, clutch slip, boost leaks (car down on power & hissing noises while accelerating) and oil leaks. A fairly recent timing belt change would be a big plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Far nicer to look at than a saloon corolla of similar age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm going to just +1 selectamatic's suggestion for the Toledo. It should be a very safe bet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement