Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Thank you guys so much.

Now, I'm pretty gutsy, but I just don't have any idea about general pricing. How much would you guys offer if you were going to go for this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Far nicer to look at than a saloon corolla of similar age.

The corolla is way more modern and tbh it isn't really any worse looking than a standard toledo.

They are also as rough as a bears ars€ to drive compared to a corolla of a similar age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The corolla is way more modern and tbh it isn't really any worse looking than a standard toledo.

They are also as rough as a bears ars€ to drive compared to a corolla of a similar age.

What's more modern about a Corolla of that era?

I'd personally drive a Toledo before I'd drive a Corolla of the same age, but we're all entitled to our opinion. For me the Toledo handles better and feels a much more solid car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Toyota corolla saloon of that age is a very reliable car that I won't argue but it looks horrendous from every angle. Hatch wasn't nearly as bad looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thank you guys so much.

Now, I'm pretty gutsy, but I just don't have any idea about general pricing. How much would you guys offer if you were going to go for this car?

Go in at 800 and see where you get.

You may be lucky or they may stick it all depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I'd try 700 and tell him you'll collect it right away. And go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

nd wrote: »
    I'd try 700 and tell him you'll collect it right away. And go from there.

You'd want to be standing there with the cash clearly in your hand trying that. Too easy to say no over the phone.....or something more explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/18222053

MDc3ODVmYTVlYWQ1ZWJhMzcwNTdjZTFlNDZjYTUxN2aWojPEI3Kkl91E6q9papwUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjczNzc5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If a scratched back bumper is the worst of it this might be a nice buy for €2k. NCT till 11/18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/18222053

MDc3ODVmYTVlYWQ1ZWJhMzcwNTdjZTFlNDZjYTUxN2aWojPEI3Kkl91E6q9papwUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjczNzc5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If a scratched back bumper is the worst of it this might be a nice buy for €2k. NCT till 11/18

Scratched bumper from reversing into the horsebox hitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jharr100 wrote: »

Those Civics are a great motor, nice free revving engine and spacious enough inside.
    My Father had one from new, with an Automatic same colour and everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Someone will get a bargain there, I had one before and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's a cracking car

Guy I work with has a 99 saloon like this since 2002 .. just regular servicing and tyres etc , never let him down . 250k on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Are those rear pipes standard on that. Can't say I noticed them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Def not standard! I’d say it had a set of massive wheels on it at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Def not standard! I’d say it had a set of massive wheels on it at some stage too.

Rolled arches?

Nah I just can’t see someone leaving the basic wheels (which I’m actually a big fan of!) on and putting a massive exhaust on.

Most E classes wouldn’t have enough metal left in the arches for rolling!

E200k makes loads of sense as bangernonics I think as it’s only 1.8 tax but still nippy enough.

Guy I work with has a 99 saloon like this since 2002 .. just regular servicing and tyres etc , never let him down . 250k on the clock.

They were such a good car. There gave next to no problems whatsoever outside normal servicing. Rust was an issue however as they got older. The bottom of the rear arches and the sills hidden under the plastic side skirts were weak points.

corollas of similar vintage are holding up much better in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I left my one sitting up for over a year. Bought a new battery to drive it up to the test centre, was putting it through to see what needed sorting. It passed first time! If I was on the lookout I would definitely get another one.

Now it's in my head, what would insurance be like on this if I switched from my current car? 06, 1.9 passat.

I left my one sitting up for over a year. Bought a new battery to drive it up to the test centre, was putting it through to see what needed sorting. It passed first time! If I was on the lookout I would definitely get another one.

Now it's in my head, what would insurance be like on this if I switched from my current car? 06, 1.9 passat.

Only way to know is to call them. Mine went down €300 going from a 98 to a 08 despite the 08 having a bigger engine and more power.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 6th gen civic these days. The newest one available are 17+years old and most of them are rusty.

I'd go for a 7th gen saloon. They still have the very good d series engine, they are a lot less prone to rust and they are safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-audi-a4-2-0-t-s-line-nct-05-18/17899562
    IMAG12005_zpswgryemc7.jpeg
    2006 Audi a4 s line 142,000 miles nct 05/18 €1,650

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That can't be a 2.0t, it should have another exhaust and the obvious t next to the 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

bear1 wrote: »
    That can't be a 2.0t, it should have another exhaust and the obvious t next to the 2.0

cartell says its a 2.0 S LINE 128BHP 4DR

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

bear1 wrote: »

I thought the turbos were 1.8t?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the old 2.0 litre n/a unit with 130bhp. 2.0t had 200bhp afaik but you won't buy one of them for under 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I thought the turbos were 1.8t?

There is also a 2.0 but I think they are tfsi - only 2.0t I've seen are American imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

colm_mcm wrote: »

E200k makes loads of sense as bangernonics I think as it’s only 1.8 tax but still nippy enough.

Based on the generation of mercedes they are I assumed they were biblically unreliable, if they were reliable I'd be tempted myself?!

• Advertisement

Yeah but they’re cheap and are quite nice inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement