Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

When did they sort the chain issue on the 1.8 kompressor engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Around 2010 when they stopped building them :)

There was a revised chain, but it was still a single chain, which as far as I know was probably one of the reasons so many failed. Could be wrong on that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Around 2010 when they stopped building them :)

There was a revised chain, but it was still a single chain, which as far as I know was probably one of the reasons so many failed. Could be wrong on that

The W204 was still coming with the supercharged Kompressor engines. Virtually identical to the ones in W203 and W211. They were just slightly tweaked down to reduce the stress on the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

colm_mcm wrote: »

id recommend a grande punto if my 2007 one didnt die recently due to my neglect. great acceleration compared to similar 1.2 and was comfortable at high speeds. And cheap to fix.

That dealer is in a good spot surrounded by other low price car dealers, so a bangernomics enthusiasts dream for those not wanting to buy privately.

Your man in FMD motors beside place where that punto is for sale is very likeable, real salesman. though nothing they had suited what i wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Gravelly wrote: »
    The roomster looks like something you'd drive when you'd lost all hope of ever having sex again.

Hahaha, I nearly bought my dad one when I got my redundancy in 2015! By the sounds of what you said it would have been perfect for him :D
    Glad I got him an SX4 instead now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

terrydel wrote: »
    Hahaha, I nearly bought my dad one when I got my redundancy in 2015! By the sounds of what you said it would have been perfect for him :D
    Glad I got him an SX4 instead now :p

Equally as unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

A lot of car for the money at just under 2k, big enough for the family and a nice engine to boot.
    NCT for another year and a warranty.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-murano-3-5-5dr-auto-low-mileage-long-nct/17390373

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This is nice, very nice.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-bmw-convertible-auto/18201417

NCT for a year, just under 2 months of tax and a pretty good spec from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Need some more advice please lads.

Everything is perfect with the car, really nice to drive and I'm enjoying it so far.

Problem is the guy I bought it off hasn't sent the log book yet, I txt him yesterday saying I insured the car and was hoping to tax it asap and had he sent off the log book. Told him I was happy with our dealings so far. His reply was "thanks"

Rang motor tax office today and they haven't received the log book.

Micra died on Tuesday on the way home so had to insure the corolla and don't want the tax dragging on too long.

I'm thinking of letting it go until Monday as that'll be a full week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

dobman88 wrote: »

Everything is perfect with the car, really nice to drive and I'm enjoying it so far.

Problem is the guy I bought it off hasn't sent the log book yet, I txt him yesterday saying I insured the car and was hoping to tax it asap and had he sent off the log book. Told him I was happy with our dealings so far. His reply was "thanks"

Micra died on Tuesday on the way home so had to insure the corolla and don't want the tax dragging on too long.

He should have sent it to Shannon. It can take a week or so. I wouldn't panic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

dobman88 wrote: »

you can tax it without the logbook, as far as i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep. Taxed the last car without the log book but it needs to be registered to me. I checked online and it's still registered to previous owner. Rang Shannon and they confirmed.

Had all this sorted in 5 days last time so maybe I got lucky. Will give it until Monday evening anyway before asking him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-saab-diesel/18262086

Saab diesel , long nct , highish miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-2008-1-8t-new-nct-4-19-biopower-linear/18263227#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20180316-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-118821@1

SAAB 93 2008 1.8T NEW NCT 4/19 BIOPOWER LINEAR
    NCT Mar 2016
    supposedly some very tyres ;) Probably some muck yokes

Transferred to an individual 14/03/18

Time for owner number 6 in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-2008-jtd/18277703

NjQwMGEwZTE5ZGJjNGJlNzJhODMyZmY4NGNkZGZmMGEC93dB0StjAx4aVQu2TTpsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NzIzNDEzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Cheap tax diesel 159 with NCT to 6/19 €1750

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's actually so **** it's kinda cool again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I haven't seen that generation lanos on Irish roads in a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I haven't seen that generation lanos on Irish roads in a long long time.

For a good reason. They were sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    For a good reason. They were sh1te

In what way? The interior wasn't much worse than Focus of same era and the rest of the car build with a philosophy of an uncomplicated car.

Yet the motors were surprisingly nippy - variable length intake manifold allowed much flatter torque curve than anything popular on the market. It would still impress among N/A engines with same power today...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

grogi wrote: »
    In what way? The interior wasn't much worse than Focus of same era and the rest of the car build with a philosophy of an uncomplicated car.

Yet the motors were surprisingly nippy - variable length intake manifold allowed much flatter torque curve than anything popular on the market. It would still impress among N/A engines with same power today...

Head gaskets were an issue and gearboxes. Suspension was weak too. No value plus the above issues aided them disappearing quickly

grogi wrote: »

Those car's were as slow as a snail and a terrible car to drive in general They weren't well built too and weren't made to go the distance.

Camshaft wear was common, wiper linkages wearing at very small mileage was common although they were cheap to replace. Rear axle going due to rust isn't unheard of and there is a whole host of other issues which they suffer from.

The paintwork is poor on them and they rust, particularly around both the back and front screen.

I don't know how you think the interior isn't far off a focus interior. Tbh it's miles off a focus in every way.

They are just a terrible, terrible car. Even the astra which they are based on is a better car by a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Those car's were as slow as a snail and a terrible car to drive in general They weren't well built too and weren't made to go the distance.

Camshaft wear was common, wiper linkages wearing at very small mileage was common although they were cheap to replace. Rear axle going due to rust isn't unheard of and there is a whole host of other issues which they suffer from.

The paintwork is poor on them and they rust, particularly around both the back and front screen.

I don't know how you think the interior isn't far off a focus interior. Tbh it's miles off a focus in every way.

They are just a terrible, terrible car. Even the astra which they are based on is a better car by a bit.

They aren't the best, for sure, but I'd take one over the relevant focus, astra, corolla etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ah now you wouldn't take it over a Corolla now, specially one from that era.

Anyway, it's €200, if it lasted until Easter weekend it'd be own you nothing.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They aren't the best, for sure, but I'd take one over the relevant focus, astra, corolla etc

00536d9268ae66b090ccd30f3fa270b83851de218147a6e0e4b0a7ab86af7232.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ah now you wouldn't take it over a Corolla now, specially one from that era.
    The only corolla from the "bug eye" year corollas i'd want would be the 1.9 diesel. Slow and unrefined but will outlast the car.
    Anyway, it's €200, if it lasted until Easter weekend it'd be own you nothing.
    exactly. Sure some of us spend more than that on fuel in 2 weeks :P

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The only corolla from the "bug eye" year corollas i'd want would be the 1.9 diesel. Slow and unrefined but will outlast the car.

exactly. Sure some of us spend more than that on fuel in 2 weeks :P

The bug eye corolla is 2.0 but why anyone would go for one over the petrol is beyond me as it's not much more economical and is a lot more to tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement