Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

^ re the S202 - I searched for months to find a decent 202, in either saloon, or preferably estate to replace my 190. I viewed at least 6 and every one I came across had rust issues, some catastrophic.
    There are clean ones out there, and I'm not suggesting yours has got the tinworm, but it was woeful period for MB. Yours looks tidy from the pics, and the price is good (for a potential buyer)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ re the S202 - I searched for months to find a decent 202, in either saloon, or preferably estate to replace my 190. I viewed at least 6 and every one I came across had rust issues, some catastrophic.
    There are clean ones out there, and I'm not suggesting yours has got the tinworm, but it was woeful period for MB. Yours looks tidy from the pics, and the price is good (for a potential buyer)

Im driving at the minute on a 200km round trip daily! Just the last few weeks. Not an ounce of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There is not one warning light on the dash. its my car!

You have been warned about shilling in this forum before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The e11 was an even better car than the e10. I know they were pretty much the same car underneath but the e11 was a safer, more comfortable, more economical car and along with the facelift models, later pre facelifts were also better equipped.

E11s also don't suffer from rusty sills, which, athough not too common, did happen to some e10s when they got older.

Sills rotted on mine. Badly. 2000 liftback

Don't know where you got that misinformation from, unless it's made up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

That green one? But it was UK made IIRC, not Japanese, so not really a surprise. :(

On the other note, underbody rust is somehow related to condition of roads car was used on - the one driven in towns/cities/M/N roads will not rust so much as the one driven on R/L roads, full of stone chips hitting underbody like machine gun. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The e11 was an even better car than the e10. I know they were pretty much the same car underneath but the e11 was a safer, more comfortable, more economical car and along with the facelift models, later pre facelifts were also better equipped.

E11s also don't suffer from rusty sills, which, athough not too common, did happen to some e10s when they got older.
    I personally preferred the E10 to the E11. Was more comfortable I felt, a better car for cruising, more comfortable seats etc. The E11 was a little more taut iirc, seemed slightly smaller. I had no bother with rust at time, but they were relatively new when I sold them (had them between 3.and 6 Yr old I guess)

Apologies if this is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I personally preferred the E10 to the E11. Was more comfortable I felt, a better car for cruising, more comfortable seats etc. The E11 was a little more taut iirc, seemed slightly smaller. I had no bother with rust at time, but they were relatively new when I sold them (had them between 3.and 6 Yr old I guess)

Apologies if this is off topic.
    They weren't rotboxes or anything, most held up very well, just some did go at the sills but only when they were old.
    Rust around the windscreen seemed to affect 1995 cars too for some reason. I've not seen any around the screen pre or post 95 corollas, or at least not as significantly anyway.

The facelift e11 is a more comfortable car than any e10. The pre-facelift i'd still class as being more comfortable but that is just my opinion of them.

I see the e11 as an improved e10 in almost everyway.

joujoujou wrote: »
    That green one? But it was UK made IIRC, not Japanese, so not really a surprise. :(

On the other note, underbody rust is somehow related to condition of roads car was used on - the one driven in towns/cities/M/N roads will not rust so much as the one driven on R/L roads, full of stone chips hitting underbody like machine gun. ;)

That very one! The reason I scrapped it. Red rotten :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »

I actually think the opposite. Towns and cities are nearly always salted in the winter while many rural roads are not. I've bought a few nice rust free cars that were driven on rural roads.

In fact I bought a gem of a 2001 e11 five years that was never on a city road and it didn't have a spot of rust underneath or anywhere. it was a very well looked after car. The paint and bodywork was in remarkable condition too amazingly. I haven't seen a corolla as clean as it since and was sorry I sold it.

Anyway even the uk liftbacks are very resistant to rust so either the car in question spent time in saltwater or the poster is telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

There is not one warning light on the dash. its my car!

Why not be honest about it in the first place rather than just alerting people to the car's availability ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BIt pricey, I got a 95 12 years ago for less than that.

Why not be honest about it in the first place rather than just alerting people to the car's availability ?

I asked if anyone thought it was worth a punt. I never denied I was selling it.

I actually think the opposite. Towns and cities are nearly always salted in the winter while many rural roads are not. I've bought a few nice rust free cars that were driven on rural roads.

In fact I bought a gem of a 2001 e11 five years that was never on a city road and it didn't have a spot of rust underneath or anywhere. it was a very well looked after car. The paint and bodywork was in remarkable condition too amazingly. I haven't seen a corolla as clean as it since and was sorry I sold it.

Anyway even the uk liftbacks are very resistant to rust so either the car in question spent time in saltwater or the poster is telling porkies.

Why not ask me direct about my car instead of cowering in fear behind someone else's post, or are you afraid you might not like what you hear? Seeing as you pick and choose what you want to hear in the first place to suit yourself to appear "smart" to others

Some do rust, some moreso than others, some have none. To state otherwise is just pure ignorance, but I wouldn't expect less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I asked if anyone thought it was worth a punt. I never denied I was selling it.

Nobody said you denied selling it. This is a great thread but the amount of shills recently is off putting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

colm_mcm wrote: »
    BIt pricey, I got a 95 12 years ago for less than that.
    Yes but this is 2018 not 2006 and they are going back up in price.
    I bought one a few years ago for half that and bought a non runner recently for similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi lads not sure if it's against the rules but I'm selling the runabout I bought.

2001 VW Bora 1.4 tested til 03/2019 and taxed til end 05/2018. 115k miles tb was done at 60,000 (I'm told)

Asking €475

I said I'd put it here before I list it on adverts tomorrow.

Based in limerick.

Hi lads not sure if it's against the rules but I'm selling the runabout I bought.

2001 VW Bora 1.4 tested til 03/2019 and taxed til end 05/2018. 115k miles tb was done at 60,000 (I'm told)

Asking €475

I said I'd put it here before I list it on adverts tomorrow.

Based in limerick.

:):D:D:D:D

:):D:D:D:D

I posted that without reading the last page of controversy. There's a big difference in what I posted and what you posted. If you can't see that...well I dunno. I'm not explaining it to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Big difference between a private seller and a trader.

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    Big difference between a private seller and a trader.

Im selling it privately. I work in a garage but this is a private car. Anyway I was not mocking you at all by the way. i just saw a bit of humour in it thats all. Sorry if I offended you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Don't know where you got that misinformation from, unless it's made up

I had an 00 liftback that was the very same! And around the top of the windscreen.

What engine is in that MG? Is it the m47 from BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

A detuned version of it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

Yes, a variant of it called the M47R. 134bhp or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

The M47R according to Wikipedia and it's mounted transversely for the front wheel drive Rover.

• Advertisement

Fairly bombproof engine in that case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement