Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What would the tax be on that? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I think they're €390 for the year

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325i-218hp-5monts-tax-full-year-nct/18533398

MDUzYTEzYzIwODVkN2M3MTJlZTg4NWYzNTZmM2U1OWRFRnoBE4jlqsTObxN8Az8NaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTIzNTA4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

325i manual, years test, 5 months tax, good spec, €2k

Seems too cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

JJJJNR wrote: »
    No tax no nct. Mazda diesel = no. That's three no's I'm afraid.

€445 would short out the tax and nct for the year

m17 wrote: »
    €445 would short out the tax and nct for the year

Doubtful.

If Bill knew €445 was standing in the way of a €5k sale he'd have a test on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would say it's near ready for scrap... Mazda and Diesel just don't mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

OTEy_Zm_M2_NGQ1_MDU4_Nz_Ix_OGVh_NGM4_Yj_A3_Ym_Ri_YTIy_OTi_Vtsr_MDg_DUG8_IPw_As_Sk_Dn7.jpg

Zj_Ex_Yj_Fm_M2_Zi_Yj_Zi_Ym_Ux_NWQ3_ZDE1_ZDc2_Mj_Nl_Yzli_Mzd8uh6_HBse_ZFabt_bwd_Sq_Z2.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-audi-a6-1-9tdi-130bhp-nct-01-19/18533127

2004 130bhp 6 speed tdi a6
    Test till 2019
    3 owners and no recent change of ownership
    Full service history with a tb&wp change at 167k
    Full heated electric leather and cruise control
    A few marks but the silver hides it well
    Asking €800

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wonski wrote: »
    Cracking value it is, but why would the dealer not test it and take full payday for it makes me a little worried.
    We all know the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We all know the answer

I actually deleted the post when I realised there were few more saying the same thing :)

It was last unread on my list instead of the last posted hence the delete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Kkv should get that a6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Kkv should get that a6

Are u serious? That engine would never blow up for him....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I would nearly buy that A6 to swap to in september when my nct runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325i-218hp-5monts-tax-full-year-nct/18533398

MDUzYTEzYzIwODVkN2M3MTJlZTg4NWYzNTZmM2U1OWRFRnoBE4jlqsTObxN8Az8NaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTIzNTA4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

325i manual, years test, 5 months tax, good spec, €2k

Seems too cheap?

I don't think it'd be very desirable for most given the year and big engine size. Very nice car though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I really really like that 3 series. So weird that it's an SE model and comes with iDrive. What a weird order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Best run on bangers in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

m17 wrote: »

That'll be a hard sell I'd say - anyone in the market for a €650 car probably won't want one that costs more than the purchase price to tax, and has poor fuel economy, while anyone who wants a bit of cheap luxury won't want a Hyundai. I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up on a weighbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gravelly wrote: »
    That'll be a hard sell I'd say - anyone in the market for a €650 car probably won't want one that costs more than the purchase price to tax, and has poor fuel economy, while anyone who wants a bit of cheap luxury won't want a Hyundai. I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up on a weighbridge.

It's 2.0l - it's not that bad to tax... If it was automatic, I'd be all over it...

grogi wrote: »
    It's 2.0l - it's not that bad to tax... If it was automatic, I'd be all over it...

It's more expensive to tax than it's sale price, so, as I said, most people in the market for a car that cheap won't want to more than double the price with tax. I think the vast majority of people wouldn't drive an 11 year old 2 litre Hyundai unless they had no other option, which limits the market severely.

• Advertisement

It's more expensive to tax than it's sale price, so, as I said, most people in the market for a car that cheap won't want to more than double the price with tax. I think the vast majority of people wouldn't drive an 11 year old 2 litre Hyundai unless they had no other option, which limits the market severely.

Are you saying it would be more desirable if it was more expensive, so that the tax is less than purchase price?!

I treat tax as a running cost - like insurance, petrol and repairs. There are cars that are more expensive to own and less expensive to own, but you need to look at all of them, not only if the tax is more or less than purchase price.

I agree that it is not a desirable vehicle - but it is mainly because it is Hyundai. Not because of its tax.

Are you saying it would be more desirable if it was more expensive, so that the tax is less than purchase price?!

I treat tax as a running cost - like insurance, petrol and repairs. There are cars that are more expensive to own and less expensive to own, but you need to look at all of them, not only if the tax is more or less than purchase price.

Think you're getting your wires crossed. Here's what I'm saying in very easy to understand language:

If the only car I can afford is a €650 car, then I'm unlikely to be able to afford or want a car that costs more than that to tax
    If I can afford to spend more than €650 on a car, I'm unlikely to buy an 11 year old Hyundai, that doesn't have looks, performance, brand image, or economy going for it.

If the only car I can afford is a €650 car, then I'm unlikely to be able to afford or want a car that costs more than that to tax
    If I can afford to spend more than €650 on a car, I'm unlikely to buy an 11 year old Hyundai, that doesn't have looks, performance, brand image, or economy going for it.

So what else presents a better value (all costs included), let's say for €1k plus 1k/year for tax and repairs?
    * An old BMW or Merc will cost much more to keep on the road
    * A reliable Corolla will cost less to run, but you'll find it difficult to get one for that kind of money. Plus it is nowhere as comfortable

IMHO this Hyundai is one of the best Bangernomics proposition...

So what else presents a better value (all costs included), let's say for €1k plus 1k/year for tax and repairs?
    * A reliable Corolla will cost less to run, but you'll find it difficult to get one for that kind of money. Plus it is nowhere as comfortable

You've answered the question yourself.
    Old BMW/Merc - comfort, brand, probably well kitted out.

Corolla - cheap to run, ultra reliable.

The Hyundai fits in neither category (which is what I've now said 3 different ways!).

Why? It's fits in neither of the examples you yourself wrote above!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You might actually enjoy driving an old BMW/Merc/Audi and then sell it on when you're done, and spending a few quid along the way won't feel like simply fending off the scrapper as you would with that Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

• Registered Users Posts: 36,098 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-318i-immaculate-fresh-nct/18538517

06 BMW 318I Saloon
    96,000 mi

Nct until January 2019 so passed not long ago
    Full valet also done on car
    A lot for a little.

YzBjYWI1YTY5YmJjNmNlNDJkNTM4ZjdiNjk5Yzc4ZTFP0LEecQP1GVG3eOIAQIliaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTI2Njc0OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NWNjZjYwNTgwNTU4MTBjMmMxZTQ2NjIyYjBhYmM3YzWq_5e1Cx3GvQPdi4epctP7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTI2Njc1MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Weigh it in, whatever you get is it's value - around €100 would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Weigh it in, whatever you get is it's value - around €100 would be my guess.

You reckon its worth €100?

• Advertisement

You reckon its worth €100?

Not to me it isn't, but for scrap value it might be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement