Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

bazz26 wrote: »
    Someone looking for a work horse to tie them over for the summer.  Has 4 months tax left on it and NCT until next January for 500 lids:

ZGEzMTZmMzQxN2EzODdlMmEzNDAxNGZhMTNlOWFmYjclORinnG4dZZY93ME2N_oQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTA2NTY5Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-with-tax-amp-nct/18511897
    Marked as Sold already!
    Within an hour of posting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Marked as Sold already!
    Within an hour of posting

You can't go wrong with Octavia at that price and colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I've been living away for a few years now but from what I have heard....would cars like that Octavia not be a nightmare to insure in Ireland now? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've been living away for a few years now but from what I have heard....would cars like that Octavia not be a nightmare to insure in Ireland now? Just wondering.

It doesn't make a difference. It's a nightmare regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Irish Insurance Companies....prices they charge!

[IMG][/img]TjzJH1L.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

[]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Muckie wrote: »
    Irish Insurance Companies....prices they charge!

[IMG][/img]TjzJH1L.png

When I changed my car last month I rang for a quote. When I told them my change of address it went from €104 a month to €121 a month. Apparently Meath is more dangerous than Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

dobman88 wrote: »
    When I changed my car last month I rang for a quote. When I told them my change of address it went from €104 a month to €121 a month. Apparently Meath is more dangerous than Kerry.

Maybe they saw the 2001 semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

dobman88 wrote: »

You think that's bad,one part of Tallaght is €600 dearer than another part :(

wiz569 wrote: »

Park in a Lidl carpark and it goes up by another €1,000 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Gravelly wrote: »
    Park in a Lidl carpark and it goes up by another €1,000 :D

Depends what part of Tallaght the Lidl is in ;)

Depends what part of Tallaght the Lidl is in ;)

And what the bread stocks are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They wanted €230 off me to change my address from Tipperary to Limerick. I politely declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-convertible/18571320

Girlynomics.

Top gear riddiculed them badly but they are probably no worse than s 206cc or VW Eos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They look ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not quite quick enough to outrun our changeable weather.
    If it had been advertised last Thursday, gone in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Hi, I opened a thread yesterday, my car died and the repair cost by wouldn't justify keeping it since it's a 1.1l car and I'm living in the countryside now and am the family taxi.
    I'd really appreciate some help to find a new one, preferably for under a grand but could stretch in the worst case, I'm happy when I get a year out of the car.
    To make matters worse the insurance situation is a bit of a mess. The current one is insured on my partner who's on a provisional, I couldn't get insurance at all on my Full EU, so I was the named driver on it. I'm now holding an Irish license and renewal is due next month (2 years NCB on the policy). So the policy is a on a provisional license with a fully licensed driver as named driver.
    This is our somewhat annoying insurance situation.

I'm not too picky, it should just have more than 1.4 and under 2l anything else would be a nightmare to insure (our saved insurance money is now the car budget), it should have enough space for a family with a buggy. We had a C3 and it was the smallest that worked for us, but as long as I get them all in and the reboarder fits it's fine.

I'm also a bit restricted travel-wise, living in the very SW of Co. Wicklow, given I have no car there aren't any cross country trips possible, so preferably Leinster area.

I'm really open for all suggestions because all I know about cars is how to safely drive them, how to do basic maintenance, where the NCT center is.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

LirW wrote: »
    Hi, I opened a thread yesterday, my car died and the repair cost by wouldn't justify keeping it since it's a 1.1l car and I'm living in the countryside now and am the family taxi.
    I'd really appreciate some help to find a new one, preferably for under a grand but could stretch in the worst case, I'm happy when I get a year out of the car.

This is our somewhat annoying insurance situation.

I'm not too picky, it should just have more than 1.4 and under 2l anything else would be a nightmare to insure (our saved insurance money is now the car budget), it should have enough space for a family with a buggy. We had a C3 and it was the smallest that worked for us, but as long as I get them all in and the reboarder fits it's fine.

I'm also a bit restricted travel-wise, living in the very SW of Co. Wicklow, given I have no car there aren't any cross country trips possible, so preferably Leinster area.

I'm really open for all suggestions because all I know about cars is how to safely drive them, how to do basic maintenance, where the NCT center is.

Tidy 07 carolla

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-toyota-carolla-1-4-litre-new-nct-2019-bargain/18615913

Fresh Mazda 6

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-mazda-6-1-8-executive-taxed-and-tested/18553087

Tiida, gotta be worth a look at that mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-tiida-1-6-very-low-miles-new-nct/18245698

Thanks so much, I'll definitely get onto it straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

• Advertisement

I really wanna look at it, that would mean skimping every cent together for now but I do like it.
    The whole downside is that I'm stuck here in the village of St. Backar5e and can't travel and rely completely on the judgement of my Father-in-law because he can look around, who firmly doesn't believe into private car sales because they are too risky. This going to be a fun day....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ronan14 wrote: »
    That is a really tidy Corolla
    Carolla ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I really wanna look at it, that would mean skimping every cent together for now but I do like it.
    The whole downside is that I'm stuck here in the village of St. Backar5e and can't travel and rely completely on the judgement of my Father-in-law because he can look around, who firmly doesn't believe into private car sales because they are too risky. This going to be a fun day....
    If you're looking at cheap cars, a toyota is more likely than some others to be reliable.
    Be wary of the tarted up gleaming ones though as they are often masking problems.

Yeah I've heard that the Corolla is a car that's most likely going to outlive you when you give it the love it needs.
    The FIL is onto it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another one to look at is the Honda Civic:

ZDMxZWIyZTEzZTQzMTRiZTYyMWVlMTQ3MTExMGY3OWScTE7fqw0aZ1EEm92ck_hKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTc4NDEzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2005-5dr-nct-amp-tax/18443611

Plenty of space and generally reliable. I know the 1.4 suffers from gearbox bearing failure but I don't think the 1.6 suffer from the same issue. If the gearbox feels notchy then your probably looking at a bearing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A sub €2000 car from a garage won't come with much backup. Private sales are better for cars in around that money.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A sub €2000 car from a garage won't come with much backup. Private sales are better for cars in around that money.

Called him and made my position clear, apparently he was looking in the 5k bracket which we can't afford at the moment.

Called him and made my position clear, apparently he was looking in the 5k bracket which we can't afford at the moment.

Which car was 5k?

I don't know exactly, I think it was more a general thing, he is totally taken by all these dodgy dealerships around the red cow.
    Anyway he rang the guy with the Corolla, who said he wants a quick turnaround and basically test drive, have a look at the engine, take it or leave it (fair enough). He refused to look at it because it's a private dealer and what if something breaks blahblah, now went off to some dealership in Walkinstown to looks at a Corolla at the same price point with very similar details so there we would have at least 3 months warranty. I made it quite clear to my partner that I'm not buying a car at that price point from a dealership.

It's pretty frustrating because I'm 90km away, have a baby at home, the car is broke and it is next to impossible for me to get up to Dublin taking matters in my own hand.

On the upside, someone posted an 06 Seat Altea for 650 on my original thread, he's going to look at it too, if a car like that would do me a year I'm more than happy, that's all I want really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

LirW wrote:
    On the upside, someone posted an 06 Seat Altea for 650 on my original thread, he's going to look at it too, if a car like that would do me a year I'm more than happy, that's all I want really.

Be weary , a 2006 car at that money has to have issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement