Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So, the Corolla is a bit of a strange one, apparently FIL called and wanted to take the car for a spin but the owner said, only if you intend to buy straight away he'll let you have a look at it, so show up with the money, have your spin, buy it, see ya. I get my man to call again.

I got another car offered, an 07 Avensis Diesel with 280k on the clock, not many more details about it, but is it a decent enough car? 800 and has a brand new NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LirW wrote: »
    So, the Corolla is a bit of a strange one, apparently FIL called and wanted to take the car for a spin but the owner said, only if you intend to buy straight away he'll let you have a look at it, so show up with the money, have your spin, buy it, see ya. I get my man to call again.

I got another car offered, an 07 Avensis Diesel with 280k on the clock, not many more details about it, but is it a decent enough car? 800 and has a brand new NCT.
    That sounds dodge... the corolla.

Re the avensis.. once it's not the 2.2 they are a grand car.
    Do the usual checks but they are all Taxis so would appear to be reliable and cheap to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

ELM327 wrote: »
    That sounds dodge... the corolla.

Re the avensis.. once it's not the 2.2 they are a grand car.
    Do the usual checks but they are all Taxis so would appear to be reliable and cheap to maintain.

Not true, only about 30% of them are taxis, the other 70% are owned by members of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gravelly wrote: »
    Not true, only about 30% of them are taxis, the other 70% are owned by members of the travelling community.
    Ehm? Ok?

I was saying "they are all taxis" not as an absolute statement moreso as a turn of phrase... to be read as "ah sure they're all taxis" when in reality some are taxis and some are private commuters etc. Not sure what the travellers have to do with it boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ehm? Ok?

I was saying "they are all taxis" not as an absolute statement moreso as a turn of phrase... to be read as "ah sure they're all taxis" when in reality some are taxis and some are private commuters etc. Not sure what the travellers have to do with it boss.

I know you were, I was just joking, it is a well-known fact in the motor trade that an inordinate amount of new Avensis are bought by travellers - why? no one knows!

• Advertisement

See I never knew that!

Re Corolla, guy might have had a massive amount of time wasters but we'll see what the outcome is anyway.

The only thing with a 2l I'd be worried about is the insurance because the current policy is on my partner who's a learner and I'm named.
    But might send the lads up to check it out anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP I'd nearly ask your FIL to come home and have a cup of tea. While I'm sure he means very well he sounds like he is in a panic and is just going to buy any old turd that's had a polish.

If you want to narrow down the search area (say Dublin), we have requirements and a budget I'm sure we could put together a few options for him to look at tomorrow.

This will take the pressure off him to find something today and give you a chance to "have a chat" about what you want him to get for you with your money. It would be an even better idea for your OH to maybe go along with him as a second pair of eyes at the very least.

He's not going anywhere again today, so that's the good thing. I honestly would do a short and painless buy myself because it's quite urgent but I'm literally stuck here.
    The problem with him is that he doesn't trust private sales and is attracted by every dodgy dealership of choice (I went to a few of them with him last time around) over a genuine private seller.

He's living on the Northside but doesn't mind the drive within the county.
    I told my lad to go with him if he isn't in work, he just knows nothing about cars and what he manages is filling the tank, that's about it.
    He thinks a woman on her own isn't capable of that (granted, I'm not a car freak myself) but after buying my first Irish car from a crappy dealership overpriced, it's a bit of a limbo.

Anyway, any other suggestion is very welcome, you're all being amazing and very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-audi-a6-automatic-tax-9-18-new-nct-3-19/18604193

MzVjODM1ZmFiMDk0ZGRjZTdmNzBmMGZiNTVlNGQwMDaeTSnpV7iJiuuaw0HsUtw7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTg2NjA1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2.0t, tax to September and test to March 2019 - €1895

I'll always have a soft spot for these!

The problem with him is that he doesn't trust private sales and is attracted by every dodgy dealership of choice (I went to a few of them with him last time around) over a genuine private seller.
    Is there any point to us suggesting private sales or will he just ignore them if we do?

You'll end up cutting out a wide choice of cars and paying a premium if he chooses to do so.

Where are you based and maybe someone here may know of a local to you car that you could see

• Advertisement

I made my point quite clear earlier to him by saying I'm not going to buy a car in that bracket from a dealer. So fire on.
    Every advice in the Wexford/Carlow/Wicklow area very welcome too because I could just fly out with my neighbour then.

The diesel one looks quite interesting, I just have no experience with Ford, especially that age.

I made my point quite clear earlier to him by saying I'm not going to buy a car in that bracket from a dealer. So fire on.
    Every advice in the Wexford/Carlow/Wicklow area very welcome too because I could just fly out with my neighbour then.
    Here we go, all of the cars apart from the Corolla are NCT'd till 2019/2020. Most seem to be 'greenlighted' which indicates the owner is selling them.

There some alright budget cars in there tbh. I discounted all cars without a long NCT.

Nissan Tedious with long NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-nissan-tiida-nct-3-19/18497979

Poxhall Astray being sold by Declan which appears to be his own car again LONG NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-astra-1-6-nct-feb-2019/18346076

Toyota Avensis, a little over budget but could be worth a haggle as it has nct till 05/20

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mint-08-avensis-new-nct-05-20-bargain/18217880

Nissan Almera, long NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-almera-new-nct-06-19/18213484

VW Polo with a nice engine

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-polo-1-4-comfortline-new-nct/18271869

Toyota Corolla, NCT 11/18

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-saloon/18490226

emeldc wrote: »

The diesel in those Focus is too much a risk for someone on a real budget. The Mondeo's are very heavy on fuel, we had one and outside the budget I think. And I'll eat my hand if the mileage on the silver one is genuine from looking at the steering wheel.

I passed it on to the man, I'm ruling the Vauxhall out because I had 2 Opels and that didn't end well for me, I had serious problems with the first one and the second one was very heavy on fuel.
    The Nissan looks nice, the Avensis is seriously interesting.
    With the Corolla I'd just be worried because that has some serious mileage on it but then again it's a reliable car.

With the Corolla I'd just be worried because that has some serious mileage on it but then again it's a reliable car.

I actually felt it was nearly the pick of the bunch if it was well minded. It looks good and should be the cheapest to run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

LirW wrote:
    He's living on the Northside but doesn't mind the drive within the county. I told my lad to go with him if he isn't in work, he just knows nothing about cars and what he manages is filling the tank, that's about it. He thinks a woman on her own isn't capable of that (granted, I'm not a car freak myself) but after buying my first Irish car from a crappy dealership overpriced, it's a bit of a limbo.

You don't necessarily have to know much about cars; particularly at this price range. You have to know lots about PEOPLE. My advice would be to read lots of ads on Donedeal and know the difference between a genuine amateur seller moving a car on for usually space reasons and then any number of people out to make a profit on a car. Not all of them are dodge either; by a long shot.
    Depending on your usage, your age, how long you intend keeping etc, there are LOTS of genuine cars sitting on driveways and forecourts.
    I bought a 407 Coupe from an independent dealer in Greystones that had been 60 days on Donedeal. Who'd want a 2.2 petrol? Me! For short journeys in style. Later converted to LPG for long journeys in style.
    Last year I bought a CRV, sight unseen, from an incredible ad on Donedeal. Bargained from 2200 down to 1700. Mechanic told me last WK that its one of the beat he's seen for a MkII diesel.
    So, I think you need to tell everyone what you'll use it for, insurance restrictions, etc etc and then buy private from a well written ad. Buy a high mileage well maintained (receipted) car from a well written ad and stop worrying for another 12-24 months.

Buying from a dealer at that price range is more fraught with risk than buying private from someone as clueless (usually) as the buyer.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I actually felt it was nearly the pick of the bunch if it was well minded. It looks good and should be the cheapest to run

It indeed does look good, I guess this is the fear-mongering from back home where a car with over 150k on it would hardly shift because that's considered high mileage there.

I'm having a call later with the man himself and see what we do, there is some serious food for thought. I was always treated as too incompetent to make a decision on my own and the fearmongering of what could be is insane, especially as a woman.

You're all really great help, I'm beyond thankful.

I was always treated as too incompetent to make a decision on my own and the fearmongering of what could be is insane, especially as a woman.
    I've bought some right snotters over the years. Some very obvious, some not, some from friends, some not.

Funnily enough I trust bringing my wife along. She's better able to figure out people while I concentrate on the car. Then you can enter a pre arrange good cop bad cop routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've bought some right snotters over the years. Some very obvious, some not, some from friends, some not.

Funnily enough I trust bringing my wife along. She's better able to figure out people while I concentrate on the car. Then you can enter a pre arrange good cop bad cop routine.

Cute whore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-suzuki-swift-nct-08-2018-low-mileage/18560971

ZGQ5MzZkNzhiNDFlYTExNjAyNjQ2NTNlOTk3YmMwODRFxKeKqpqF0qpqQsnbHebTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTQ0ODk4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This is rather short on test but IMO possibly worth a look @LirW

1.3, 1 owner from new, 79k miles, looks in good nick, €1950 and its carlow-based

If I can give another opinion, family and cars do not mix. Try and make a decision between yourself and your partner. If you like the look of a car in Dublin - beg, borrow or steal to get there for a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Here we go, all of the cars apart from the Corolla are NCT'd till 2019/2020. Most seem to be 'greenlighted' which indicates the owner is selling them.

There some alright budget cars in there tbh. I discounted all cars without a long NCT.

Nissan Tedious with long NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-nissan-tiida-nct-3-19/18497979

Poxhall Astray being sold by Declan which appears to be his own car again LONG NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-astra-1-6-nct-feb-2019/18346076

Joynota Avensis, a little over budget but could be worth a haggle as it has nct till 05/20

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mint-08-avensis-new-nct-05-20-bargain/18217880

Nissan anemic, long NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-almera-new-nct-06-19/18213484

VW no Solo with a nice engine

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-polo-1-4-comfortline-new-nct/18271869

Toyota Crapolla, NCT 11/18

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-saloon/18490226

Fixed that for ya. :D

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya. :D

I cpuld have continued but got a call as I typed it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cute whore :rolleyes:

Wtf?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-suzuki-swift-nct-08-2018-low-mileage/18560971

ZGQ5MzZkNzhiNDFlYTExNjAyNjQ2NTNlOTk3YmMwODRFxKeKqpqF0qpqQsnbHebTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTQ0ODk4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This is rather short on test but IMO possibly worth a look @LirW

1.3, 1 owner from new, 79k miles, looks in good nick, €1950 and its carlow-based

If I can give another opinion, family and cars do not mix. Try and make a decision between yourself and your partner. If you like the look of a car in Dublin - beg, borrow or steal to get there for a look at it.

The Swift isn't going to work boot-wise for us, I like the swift and looked into it before to realise it would be a struggle with it.

Had a call with himself and told him there is no point in proceeding with his dad because they were looking at cheap dealership cars and I made my point very clear that I won't be buying a banger out of a dealership, the last one was bad enough.

Anyway, I asked around on a local buy and sell group and beside a lot of so-so cars there are a few that might be interesting but I have to find out first what people I'm dealing with there.

Meanwhile himself found https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-kia-ceed-estate/18384986

He works with 2 people who have the same car, one as a 08 and one as a 09 reg and they both love it and think they are very reliable but I'm open for opinions here.
    I'd definitely have to get my haggle skills out on that one though.

Great cars. I didn't suggest it earlier as it was above budget. If you can afford it is look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

+1 those swifts are bombproof. The brother bought a Japanese one from new and still dailies it. Couldnt speak higher of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

+1 those swifts are bombproof. The brother bought a Japanese one from new and still dailies it. Couldnt speak higher of them.

Japanese are fine. Those from Hungary not so much - but I don't know if they were making RHD in there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

grogi wrote: »
    Japanese are fine. Those from Hungary not so much - but I don't know if they were making RHD in there...

They do. A relative bought a 1999 swift new back in the day and suzuki magyar was on the vin tag. It was a terrible car btw, it seen a new engine after a couple of months and was getting quiet rusty when it was only 3-4 years old.

Very light construction and the engine, while not too bad ,wasn't the nicest 3 cylinder out there(i think daihatsu made nicer 3 cylinder engines).
    Most suzuki's are built at the magyar plant now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement