Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'll be going to look at the Kia in 2 hours, if it drives well and seems nice, that man got the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

m17 wrote: »

Ah, brings back memories, had the same model, in the same colour, and put big mileage on it. No rocket, but a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They do. A relative bought a 1999 swift new back in the day and suzuki magyar was on the vin tag. It was a terrible car btw, it seen a new engine after a couple of months and was getting quiet rusty when it was only 3-4 years old.

Very light construction and the engine, while not too bad ,wasn't the nicest 3 cylinder out there(i think daihatsu made nicer 3 cylinder engines).
    Most suzuki's are built at the magyar plant now.

That's interesting to hear in relation to the old shape swift - I had 1997 one built in Hungary and can't fault it for reliable, cost effective motoring. Had it for 16 years without issue and put over 250,000 miles on it!
    Very basic but pretty bulletproof! Eventually retired it as the steering rack was going and things were starting to wear, but at that stage it didn't owe me a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The diesel in those Focus is too much a risk for someone on a real budget. The Mondeo's are very heavy on fuel, we had one and outside the budget I think. And I'll eat my hand if the mileage on the silver one is genuine from looking at the steering wheel.

Sorry if I'm asking a Noob question(s), but the seller of the Mondeo is listed as a private seller yet has at least 8 different cars listed on DD for sale.

1) Is such a person really a legitimate private seller or a trader disguising this fact.

2) What is the reason that they do this?

3) In such a case, is it likely that they are just 'flipping' cars and do not have the registration certificate in their name?

4) What else should a potential buyer look out for in such a situation?

Should such private sellers of multiple cars be avoided and just go to a trader or single private seller instead?

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sam2005 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm asking a Noob question(s), but the seller of the Mondeo is listed as a private seller yet has 5 different cars listed on DD for sale.

1) Is such a person really a legitimate private seller or a trader disguising this fact.

And what does your gut tell you?
    2) What is the reason that they do this?

To avoid taxes and giving you warranty.
    3) In such a case, is it likely that they are just 'flipping' cars and do not have the registration certificate in their name?

No - a dealer does not need to register the cars in theirs name. They just notify Shannon (online) they have taken ownership.
    4) What else should a potential buyer look out for in such a situation?

For a different car.
    Should such private sellers of multiple cars be avoided and just go to a trader or single private seller instead?

It is a matter of opinion - but I believe there isn't a person that is only a little bit dishonest...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

Thanks Grogi,

Sure my gut says avoid but I'm surprised that they can list so many cars on DD as a private seller, if someone doesn't look further at their listings, etc, they could be fooled into thinking it was a genuine private sale.

It certainly seems like flipping or trading to me.

When you say avoiding taxes I take it that you mean income taxes rather than road taxes.

I thought that sellers had to send in their completed log books after a sale unless they sell to a registered car dealer. So how can a registered car dealer list the ads as private- surprised that DD would allow this.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I wanna thank all of you again for the input and help, did a deal on the Kia and pick it up tomorrow, I'm more than excited!

Sure my gut says avoid but I'm surprised that they can list so many cars on DD as a private seller, if someone doesn't look further at their listings, etc, they could be fooled into thinking it was a genuine private sale.

It certainly seems like flipping or trading to me.

When you say avoiding taxes I take it that you mean income taxes rather than road taxes.

Yes, that's what I mean.
    I thought that sellers had to send in their completed log books after a sale unless they sell to a registered car dealer.

Yet many just give it, because the dealer told them that's the way...
    So how can a registered car dealer list the ads as private- surprised that DD would allow this.

It is a Jim flipping cars for a few extra quid. Registered dealer will want his brand spoken aloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Selling cars as a "private seller" paid my way through college (and kept me in beer & digs), though that was back in the days of the good old buy and sell magazine. I used to get funny looks showing up one day in a battered Fiesta, the next day in an Audi or Beemer, and a day or two later in a Transit van. I must have drank the proceeds of a dozen Transit vans before I graduated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

LirW wrote: »
    I wanna thank all of you again for the input and help, did a deal on the Kia and pick it up tomorrow, I'm more than excited!

Congrats, it should serve you well. Good luck with it

At this end of the market IMO the buyer needs to focus on the car and not the seller. If its something that suits your criteria and checks out okay, it would be foolish to disregard it on the basis of the seller's name not matching the logbook
    (which is not proof of ownership anyway)

At this end of the market IMO the buyer needs to focus on the car and not the seller. If its something that suits your criteria and checks out okay, it would be foolish to disregard it on the basis of the seller's name not matching the logbook
    (which is not proof of ownership anyway)

Unfortunately a "private-dealer" will be much better at selling cars than any buyer at buying them. They have knowledge and skills to pimp up the car to make a profit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

zinzan wrote: »
    That's interesting to hear in relation to the old shape swift - I had 1997 one built in Hungary and can't fault it for reliable, cost effective motoring. Had it for 16 years without issue and put over 250,000 miles on it!
    Very basic but pretty bulletproof! Eventually retired it as the steering rack was going and things were starting to wear, but at that stage it didn't owe me a thing!

In fairness the engine was changed under warranty and the car was pretty reliable after that but it had terrible rust protection. It had rust along the windscreen at just over 3 years old and rust was starting to develop underneath as well.

It seems to be common enough on suzuki. I seen a 3 year old ignis with rust underneath too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure Dacia having huge trouble with rust as did Mercedes years ago and Ford's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sure Dacia having huge trouble with rust as did Mercedes years ago and Ford's.
    In fairness to Dacia that was an issue that affected Indian built Dusters and was resolved very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    In fairness to Dacia that was an issue that affected Indian built Dusters and was resolved very quickly.

Resolved when they moved production from India wasn’t it?
    Wasn’t there huge hassle for customers to get the rust issues resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Resolved when they moved production from India wasn’t it?
    Wasn’t there huge hassle for customers to get the rust issues resolved?

Yep. They moved RHD production to Romania as the Indian factory wasn't up to the quality standards.

There was hassle alright but I believe Dacia did do fixes as and when the issue was highlighted. I'd be pissed though if I had to get into a wrangle with them to fix it. I know some complain about Toyota and it's recalls but as least they're proactive about sorting them.

Except for the dodgy red paint on the Avensis, Toyota are usually over keen with recalls!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/smart-reliable-economical-fun-car-for-sale/18647682

MzllOTcyM2Y5NDlmMmEyYTZlNDQwNDYzZGM2MGU4YzgyRa9NfYyww7Hqc971W-6EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDAxNjAwNTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This could be alright for a grand, test till October and tax till July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Folks,
    What would ye recommend checking on a car that's been parked up for 12 months ? Might be having a look at a car parked up due to a relationship ending and one of the parties returning abroad, it's very nearby. Have been informed battery is gone and brake discs need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tyres probably need replacing too along with most of the fluids and filters. Make sure the log book is in the actual seller's name as break ups can get very nasty and you don't want to get caught in the middle of it if it transpires that the car wasn't "theirs" to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bring an envelope addressed to Shannon go to letter box with them and see it go in.

Give it a going over like any other car and it may need a good cleaning and of course service.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

might be worth bringing a suitable battery if you have one, so that you get to drive the car a decent few miles on a test drive.

The brake discs might just be rusty from being parked up. Could be surface rust. If it goes after a few miles of driving / braking, you'll know.

Handbrakes can sieze up in cars parked to long with it applied.
    As other posters said, check tyre pressures - could be flat spots - might be ok.

PH
    Folks,
    What would ye recommend checking on a car that's been parked up for 12 months ? Might be having a look at a car parked up due to a relationship ending and one of the parties returning abroad, it's very nearby. Have been informed battery is gone and brake discs need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Folks,

Damp interior. Dodgy electrics. Seized brakes. Cracked/flat tyres. Fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Brakes might be binding. Other than that i'd jump start it and drive it for a few days and see what's what before I commit to replacing half the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-250/18629511

Auto IS250. Claimed 1 owner and service history.

A lot of reliable car with some poke for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Purchased by a dealer on 7/4/2018 according to motortax.ie and seller has a Merc for sale too.

2 owners according to the autocompleted data in the ad. Not that that makes any odds, but if the seller is going to put it IN CAPITAL LETTERS! , it should at least be true.

Lovely car in auto, feels like a real Lexus should. Pity it’s a base model as that’s probably the best exterior colour on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Cracking car for the money in my opinion. Wether it has had one or two owners.

Im sure you would find a higher spec one if you paid a few bob more.

Great value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement