Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Always had a bit of a thing for those. They'd still be a nippy ish car, gold reliability and economy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm full sure I've seen that up for sale a couple of times before.

Maybe he didn't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Brakes might be binding. Other than that i'd jump start it and drive it for a few days and see what's what before I commit to replacing half the car.

I jump started it this evening after checking tyres and fluids. Didn't drive as bad as I thought it would, alternator light was on , handbrake light and abs light made an appearance on and off. She didn't drive smoothly but that was to be expected I'm guessing. What would you guys think a fair price for a competent garage to give a once over and give me an idea of what it needs ? I'm talking a rural garage now but one with diagnostic equipment and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I jump started it this evening after checking tyres and fluids. Didn't drive as bad as I thought it would, alternator light was on , handbrake light and abs light made an appearance on and off. She didn't drive smoothly but that was to be expected I'm guessing. What would you guys think a fair price for a competent garage to give a once over and give me an idea of what it needs ? I'm talking a rural garage now but one with diagnostic equipment and all.

Unless it has some sentimental value, something else would be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Unless your getting it at a really cheap price walk

It's a 2011 Qashqai 1 owner car, just done over 100k klms. He's returned to UK he's quoted me 4.5k I'm considering offering him less. ??

I do realise it's got it's risks but temptation !! Having said that, it could lead to stress, lots of stress :-(

Not in a million years would I give €4500 for a Qashqai that has been sitting up for however long!

Do yourself a favour and buy something else.

Not in a million years would I give €4500 for a Qashqai that has been sitting up for however long!

That's what he's asking ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Offer him 3 k on the Qashquai , and a new battery will sort out those warning lights , abs pump needs a good battery to function properly, so will throw on a light , tell the seller it needs four tyres too as they go oval from lying, but normally straighten out with driving , if you get it cheap enough drive on with a new oil change .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

2011 Qashqai are asking 7 - 12k, It wouldn't bother me too much to drive a car laid up for a year, laid my own up for guts of 2 years while I was abroad. (comfort module blew probably from damp) Not without it's hazards.... there is a risk but I think you will price that in.

3k was the figure I was gonna hit him with, brakes pads discs battery and perished tyres !!

I would say 3800 or 3900 but 3 wouldn't unless he is desperate.

Seems mad he doesn't put new battery in and clean it up.

We'll see, I'm gonna buy a battery for it, run it for a few mins for a couple of days and see how she looks after that. Oh yeah and powerwash the algae or whatever ya call it all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Maybe a new thread should be started for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Shameless plug for my Swedish banger!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-saab-9-3-1-8-linear-new-nct-fsh/18668019

Will give mates rates to fellow Boardsies!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-2-liter-diesel/18674337

MmUyNzI0Yzc3YzM4ZWMyOTI4ZTM5OWYwODFhZmQxYzCD6f2T5em8zh_kY2UyFVCYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDAzNTQzODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel, nice reg, tax to June and test to Feb 19, €1600

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-2-liter-diesel/18674337

MmUyNzI0Yzc3YzM4ZWMyOTI4ZTM5OWYwODFhZmQxYzCD6f2T5em8zh_kY2UyFVCYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDAzNTQzODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel, nice reg, tax to June and test to Feb 19, €1600

Nice looking motor albeit pathetic attempts at photographing it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

I've dropped the price a bit to €850. Boards discount also for a genuine buyer.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-kompressor-elegance/18355702

ZTE5ODMyZTc0Zjc4ODllYTU1NmE4NTZmYWFiZTQyZDYBC6e7zCIsmHiY5aCSige3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185Nzg2MDcwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Longtime Committed Bangernomics follower here.
    I picked up a lovely Saab 93 Estate last week, so it's out with the old, in with the new.

I'm finding it hard to price the outgoing Xsara Picasso as most for sale appear to be either firmly in the 'No-NCT Shed' or 'Dealership/Dreamer' Prices.
    It's a solid car and has been very well minded. As a Bangernomical, I was fairly choosy when buying and I probably paid a bit over the odds to get a very clean one.
    We've had it almost exactly three years, but the kids are bigger now. It's had all the belts done, new stepper motor to sort out a rough idle, New front springs, new bosal exhaust and I change the oil and filters about every 10k kms or a Saturday that's not raining, whichever comes first, usually the 10k :).
    It's a top spec model, with Colour coded bumpers, tinted windows air-con etc.
    183,000 kms, very very clean, it's probably in better order now than when I bought it.
    It's in for NCT tomorrow, I don't foresee any issues, never had any bother with them, so will be selling with a fresh NCT.
    What do the brains trust here think I should be looking for it?

The Saab is proper bangernomics, couldn't be happier with it. Low miles, good history and minty paintwork and leather. My best banger to date.

• Advertisement

The Citroen looks very tidy in fairness to you, like you say, 99% of them that you see on the roads now have more hits than the Beetles.

Insurance yada yada, age of the car yada yada. Petrol or diesel? Actually it probably doesn't matter.

If it sails the test I'd advertise it at €950 and take any genuine offer I got. It might appeal to someone with a low budget who needs a 7 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Citroen looks very tidy in fairness to you, like you say, 99% of them that you see on the roads now have more hits than the Beetles.

Insurance yada yada, age of the car yada yada. Petrol or diesel? Actually it probably doesn't matter.

If it sails the test I'd advertise it at €950 and take any genuine offer I got. It might appeal to someone with a low budget who needs a 7 seater.

But is not a seven seater...

grogi wrote: »
    But is not a seven seater...

I thought that was why they were so weird? That takes some of the good out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At least it’s a nice colour..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Saw my neighbour taking pics of this the other day and thought it would be perfect for bangernomics. A real genuine and minded car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-advensis/18658883

Saw my neighbour taking pics of this the other day and thought it would be perfect for bangernomics. A real genuine and minded car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-advensis/18658883

Advensis....

I like what he did there.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

colm_mcm wrote: »
    At least it’s a nice colour..

Thanks, it is a nice colour that has dated well.
    They have three full size seats across the back and isofix points, so they're a good choice when you need two child seats and a booster or three car seats. It's petrol, really quiet motor too, it's hard to tell if it's running when you're stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

deadlast wrote: »
    I've dropped the price a bit to €850. Boards discount also for a genuine buyer.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-kompressor-elegance/18355702

ZTE5ODMyZTc0Zjc4ODllYTU1NmE4NTZmYWFiZTQyZDYBC6e7zCIsmHiY5aCSige3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185Nzg2MDcwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Perfectly well written add photographed add hope it sells for you very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Philip333

Thanks, it is a nice colour that has dated well.
    They have three full size seats across the back and isofix points, so they're a good choice when you need two child seats and a booster or three car seats. It's petrol, really quiet motor too, it's hard to tell if it's running when you're stopped.
    Hi. I’m new to bangernomics and trying to get my head around it. I’m in the market for something reliable expecting to put up around 100 mls a day. Diesel preferably. Cheap tax and good mileage. I’m liking the look and sound of the Picasso. What’s it like on fuel and tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav4-2-0td/18693186
    IMAG12235_zpsgt2maucm.jpeg
    2004 Toyota rav4 154,000miles nct 07/18 €750

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement