Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Fair point. I'd only put that time/money into a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

318i with a new NCT for €1,900. Probably could sell this for the same money in 12 months. I see SLK prices have started to rise as well.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318-convertible-new-nct/18426768

MDI1ZmI1ODI2MmRmMDYwZTU0YzBkNzE0NDJkOWNjODB6DuPTiPqPbmikLua9PZjqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODM0MzI4Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-with-2019-nct/18232308

MThjZjc2NDhjNWZiNTY2NDMyNDZiZDUyM2FlMWMxMWX5opcCOXeZujy4WYstEG5yaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185Njc5ODM4MHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

€299, with NCT till 2/19

Worth a game of timing belt roulette at that I think

Just checked the insurance on that ... €935. Insurance on the Lexus RX is €570. All because of its age. Madness. And infuriating.

That Corolla would be a perfect car for Dublin. Skangers would walk past it and you wouldn't be crapping yourself everytime you parked it in the supermarket carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Don't judge a book by it's cover. It actually looks straight, the lacquer peel is making it look a lot worse than what it is.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Locky_luck

Hi Boardsies,

Trying to sell my old banger - 2005 Peugeot 607 with NCT to 2019 - paid €2k in November 2016 so it owes me nothing.

Any tips on the ad or the price please? I've had little interest since putting it on DoneDeal on Sunday, and already dropped the price.

I don't think I can post a link or image (as a very occasional Boards user), but it's the €750 silver 607 in Kildare.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-2-2d-209-486km-nct-to-2019-750/18717612

Still driving fine, but I happened upon a beautiful Skoda Superb (not Bangernomics eligible).

Thanks all..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Locky_luck wrote: »
    Hi Boardsies,

Trying to sell my old banger - 2005 Peugeot 607 with NCT to 2019 - paid €2k in November 2016 so it owes me nothing.

Any tips on the ad or the price please? I've had little interest since putting it on DoneDeal on Sunday, and already dropped the price.

I don't think I can post a link or image (as a very occasional Boards user), but it's the €750 silver 607 in Kildare.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-2-2d-209-486km-nct-to-2019-750/18717612

Still driving fine, but I happened upon a beautiful Skoda Superb (not Bangernomics eligible).

Thanks all..

Tax is a killer and all the faults.

It will be hard shifted to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Locky_luck wrote: »
    Hi Boardsies,

Thanks all..

Don't want to rain on your parade, but nearly €1k tax, 130k miles, and numerous faults on a 13 year old large Peugeot, is, to be honest, scrap territory. I'd be amazed if you sell it at all, and I'll be utterly flabbergasted if you sell it for €750. The market for that car is very small indeed. There are several newer diesel 407's with much lower tax available on DD for around the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

02 Corolla taxed until July and NCT'd until March next year
    According to the ad it needs a service and the front wheel bearing is humming but at €850 it could be well worth looking at
    YmJkMTU0NWRlN2FmOTJkODg1NmQyMDE5NjIzODRiNzhBpLbbeKbJxecJ6cpBVwoZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA4MTM5NzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-1-4-vvti-with-nct-amp-tax/18733693

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is it yours?

Is it yours?
    Nope. Hoping to buy a Corolla as a 2nd car in a few months so was just checking to see what kind of things are out there thought this looked decent and might suit someone who was looking now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6/18745409

M2IwOWZlY2JiMWI4ZWVjYmJhMTk0MjBkZjU3NzQ2Zjb_Lb4vkNS3Fcr-sz1zdZ1eaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA5MTMwMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very nice late old model A6 diesel with good spec. Years test, €1650

Love these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

b.gud wrote: »
    02 Corolla taxed until July and NCT'd until March next year
    According to the ad it needs a service and the front wheel bearing is humming but at €850 it could be well worth looking at
    YmJkMTU0NWRlN2FmOTJkODg1NmQyMDE5NjIzODRiNzhBpLbbeKbJxecJ6cpBVwoZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA4MTM5NzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-1-4-vvti-with-nct-amp-tax/18733693
    That's looks to be a rough corolla and has had some of it's front end replaced I think. It has front fogs which didn't come on the terra model so a possible bumper change and I had to squint but it looks like there's a d4d badge on the wing even though it's a vtti. The sill also looks to be damaged.

I know it's only an €850 car but good examples of these in that age bracket are cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What are the 2008 Volvo S40 1.8 petrol like for driving and reliability? Seen a few going for in and around bangernomics money

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

What are the 2008 Volvo S40 1.8 petrol like for driving and reliability? Seen a few going for in and around bangernomics money

There was a thread here last week:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865661

The 1.8 is a reliable Ford (Mondeo) Duratec chain unit.
    Had one for 6 years. Lovely car.
    They can start to use a drop of oil as the mileage/age increases.
    Not a big problem.

Had no issues with my one. Volvo parts can be expensive - some parts are identical to Ford/Mazda - always check.
    Avoid the Flexifuel versions of this car. Heavy on petrol.

PH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There was a thread here last week:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865661

The 1.8 is a reliable Ford (Mondeo) Duratec chain unit.

So the one that has oil rings made out of chocolate and drinks oil like students on Thursday? I haven't seen a single one that didn't - from 0.5 to 3l/1000km...

Oil consumption is not bad on its own, but an engine like that is very likely to develop emission problems:
    * burned oil blocks the oxi-cat.
    * it is very easy to simply forget and let the engine with low oil level. That ruins the engine...
    * broken oil rings might also mean broken compression rings.

There was a thread here of someone buying a 2008 Mazda6 and having to do the engine overhaul immediately after...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

That's looks to be a rough corolla and has had some of it's front end replaced I think. It has front fogs which didn't come on the terra model so a possible bumper change and I had to squint but it looks like there's a d4d badge on the wing even though it's a vtti. The sill also looks to be damaged.

Additionally I believe I went to see 3 cars in my lifetime that were described in their ad's or when I rang the seller as "needing a service" or "needing a good service". One would have needed the head gasket done, one the oil was like tar and was running pretty roughly and the third one was not running that well either. Fair to say all 3 were neglected and needed more than routine servicing to put right.

It would put me off a car described as such I'm future.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know it's only an €850 car but good examples of these in that age bracket are cheap these days.

The fact that the fogs are working could mean they’re supposed to be there. We retrofitted fogs on a few corolla Terras back in the day. Push on/off switch beside the headlight height adjusters

Thought I was crazy yesterday thinking that was a D-4D badge :)

Good spots. Responses like this are exactly why when I think I've found a decent bangernomics I'll be posting in here to make sure it is actually good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'03 A4 estate
    NCT Jan '19
    153k miles
    Probably ambitious on the asking, but it's from a dealer so presumably comes with warranty. It looks like a nice genuine car.
    Asking €1,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-audi-a4-estate1-9-tdi-130bhp-/18689425

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ looks like a well minded example, though as you say slightly on the high side price wise. ('tis an A4 tho' not an A6 ;))

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ looks like a well minded example, though as you say slightly on the high side price wise. ('tis an A4 tho' not an A6 ;))

How did I think that was an A6..???!!!!
    I must have wanted it to be an A6.!
    That takes the shine of it for me, it's still technically bangernomics I guess.

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    How did I think that was an A6..???!!!!
    I must have wanted it to be an A6.!
    That takes the shine of it for me, it's still technically bangernomics I guess.

It's the photos - too close, making it appear larger than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's the photos - too close, making it appear larger than it actually is.

78111515.jpg

:D I meant the perspective, but yeah, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

W123-80's wrote: »
    '03 A4 estate
    NCT Jan '19
    153k miles
    Probably ambitious on the asking, but it's from a dealer so presumably comes with warranty. It looks like a nice genuine car.
    Asking €1,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-audi-a4-estate1-9-tdi-130bhp-/18689425

Is it still possible to get new insurance cover on 15 year old cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

newmember? wrote: »

Yes but many are using it to get out of covering.

newmember? wrote: »

I'm insuring a 17 year old Octavia.
    Renewed this week for €590
    No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Renewals are different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Renewals are different

Exactly, new quotes on 15+ year old cars are hard to obtain. There is really no shopping around as only one or two companies will entertain cars of that age and the quote won't be cheap and limited to third party fire and theft only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I had a 2003 Audi avant up to 2 years ago and had no problem insuring it for sound 500 mark.

At time on selling I saw a 1997 Toyota corolla that looked mint selling for 300 so I rang around a few local brokers and again I got insurance for around 500 . its defo doable .

A last poster said you can only get third party fire and theft ....why would you want any more than that ??? We're talking cheap banger car money here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

2 years ago

Alot can change in 2 years !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement