Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

humberklog wrote: »
    I would love that.

It's not actually that bad looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

humberklog wrote: »
    I would love that.
    It's not actually that bad looking.

Surrender your driving licenses, you’re obviously visually impaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd love to see someone throw EVO running gear into it. If they can do it with earlier colts, why not that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Slightly over bangernomics price but could negotiate it pretty close I’m sure.
    Thinking if taking a look ...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/18790996

What ye think?
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Slightly over bangernomics price but could negotiate it pretty close I’m sure.
    Thinking if taking a look ...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/18790996

What ye think?
    Marty.
    Can't see you getting it for €2000 or under. I'd say if you are to get anything off it will be €100-€200.

As for the car it's a high mileage car with an engine that isn't renowned for it's reliability or robustness. If you are buying make sure it's running right and that it has a good service history. The right oil and regular oil changes is crucial on that engine.

If it was me I'd avoid that engine completely as they can end up being a money pit when things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

On the flipside it does look in good condition and is priced fairly right already. It's pretty rare to find a cheap tax, modern looking 7 seater with that kind of budget. A high mileage one would nearly give me better confidence that the diesel engine was used correctly and given a bit of driving which will have been better for it than one that's just been farting around town. It claims to have a service history too.

If it suits your needs I'd say it's definitely worth viewing but I'd echo the above, you'd be doing seriously well to get €200 off of that car i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a 7 seater though?

Actually, no I don't think it is. This happened to my before with a C4 in this thread too :o. You just expect a yoke like that to be a 7 seater because it's so bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's not exactly cheap, considering it's 10 years old. And despite the sleight of hand to make it sound like it's taxed till June, the tax is up next week. Looks in good nick in fairness.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd love to see someone throw EVO running gear into it. If they can do it with earlier colts, why not that one?

The old colt and lancer were essentially the same car underneath so the swap was more straightforward.

That model colt is completely different to the lancer of the same era so doing a swap might not be so easy.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Can't see you getting it for €2000 or under. I'd say if you are to get anything off it will be €100-€200.

As for the car it's a high mileage car with an engine that isn't renowned for it's reliability or robustness. If you are buying make sure it's running right and that it has a good service history. The right oil and regular oil changes is crucial on that engine.

If it was me I'd avoid that engine completely as they can end up being a money pit when things go wrong.

Hardly high mileage?..150km it says. But yeah I know the score with those engines. I don’t want a 7 seater actually, the insurance tends to be higher on them. Are those engines really that bad?
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd put good money on that being miles not km.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hardly high mileage?..150km it says. But yeah I know the score with those engines. I don’t want a 7 seater actually, the insurance tends to be higher on them. Are those engines really that bad?
    Marty.

If not serviced very regularly and correct oil etc they are poor.

If looked after they can be ok

If not serviced very regularly and correct oil etc they are poor.

If looked after they can be ok

They can still be a nightmare even with correct oil changes but there is less of a risk. Imo the oil feed pipe to the turbo needs to be inspected at every service or at least every two services for blockages as this is the main point of turbo failure.

This is especially good practice if the turbo has previously failed as every bit of sludge can't be removed from the engine no matter how good you flush it.

They can still be a nightmare even with correct oil changes but there is less of a risk. Imo the oil feed pipe to the turbo needs to be inspected at every service or at least every two services for blockages as this is the main point of turbo failure.

This is especially good practice if the turbo has previously failed as every bit of sludge can't be removed from the engine no matter how good you flush it.

Yeah I remember reading up on those engines before, as a friend was getting one.
    Is the culprit the position of the 3rd injector or something?
    When the injector seal goes it leaks crap into the engine oil... which blocks the feed to the turbo... something along those lines anyway.

Yeah I remember reading up on those engines before, as a friend was getting one.
    When the injector seal goes it leaks crap into the engine oil... which blocks the feed to the turbo... something along those lines anyway.

It can but neglected oil changes can also cause it. It's just not a nice engine. Even the psa 2 liter unit is a better engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The feed actually should be replaced every ~80kkm to prevent the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, the seals on the 16v versions can get loose, which leads to massive amount of spot getting to the oil.

It is trivial to tighten them up every service, but nobody is doing it.

ThIs is a very pleasant engine - economical, refined and nippy.It is also very unlikely to get FAP issues, even when driving only in town.

But it requires an owner that cares and knows how to do it. They don't tolerate abuse as well as some other units.

Have also in mind that cars that are cared about tend to be liked a lot by owners.

grogi wrote: »
    The feed actually should be replaced every ~80kkm to prevent the issue.

Probably but id still be inspecting it regularly because even a small bit of sludge can cause a blockage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Full disclosure, this has been our family car for the last three years, NCTd today and a very reliable friend of the family.

Comments welcome, as always. Been following the bangernomics for a few years now and have made some great buys on that basis.

http://www.adverts.ie/15503984

Bangernomic boardsies can expect a decent discount. It's a really good, honest car for small money and perfect Bangernomics.
    Ap16uoI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Looks spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-ghia-x-estate-automatic-83000-miles/18895434

OTYzNDYyNDBhZDliNGE5ZTE3YTQzNWEzOWFkMWIxZTc40RdqmCy03uSUprRuYdYwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDIxNTE3MDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

V6 estate with nice leather, years test, €750

Nice old thing if you can stomach the tax

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2/18896046

NWY3ZjRmMjA1ZmFlYTNkMTE5NDExMWVhYjFmMTI4OTbpyv7SkM7OxuPRkPwZJYqSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDIxNTUxMDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Test till November, tax till August, diesel and blue leather! €870

I'd love that Audi. A real tight hure of a yoke.

I just bought an A6 for the same money, kinda raging I didn't spot it first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I just bought an A6 for the same money, kinda raging I didn't spot it first

You could buy that and keep it in the boot of the A6 for city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I'm looking at buying a petrol car soon & will have a budget of around 5k. Because I want a petrol, I'm now thinking bangernomics may be a better way to go. Found this Volvo - any thoughts on it, things to look out for?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2008/18872891

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Tax is a bit high @750 p.a.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement