Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most awarded car ever at the time IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That car, and in that colour, just reminds me of Gran Turismo on the Playstation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whats the story here?, fits the thread but the reg is blacked out in the pics and NCT and the NCT shows it was carried out in Oct 2016 but has it valid to 05-01-2018??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-toyota-avensis-1-8-nct-1-18/15167613

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Whats the story here?, fits the thread but the reg is blacked out in the pics and NCT and the NCT shows it was carried out in Oct 2016 but has it valid to 05-01-2018??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-toyota-avensis-1-8-nct-1-18/15167613

Nothing out of ordinary... Test done within three months before expiration.

3 months early,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-166/15469874

Nice Alfa
    Test Feb 18
    Lots of service history.

MzY3MDBlNmFlZTQ2YzFmMzI0ZmQwZTAyNzc1YWViZmM3DuKEyyylwWnd0sMOJa0JaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzU5NDE0NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Gravelly wrote:
    You can't, even though you see quite a few cars advertised as "dual fuel" - not much good if you can only buy one!

Although there's also a few genuine dual fuels out there with a petrol or LPG option. Factory-fitted. Well worth buying.
    Or convert, like this Saab, but then you're not dealing in pure Bangernomics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Saab is the Biopower model, which is dual fuel from the get-go, no, rather than an aftermarket conversion.

Biopower just means it will run on petrol or e85 (ethanol-petrol blend)- which isn't sold anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

grogi wrote: »
    Nothing out of ordinary... Test done within three months before expiration.
    I get that but whats with blacking out the reg?, it seems like the seller has something to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I get that but whats with blacking out the reg?, it seems like the seller has something to hide.

Some people cover it up to avoid the reg being cloned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Shannon757 wrote: »

Some people cover it up to avoid the reg being cloned.

I can never understand this. Don't people realise that their reg isn't covered when their car is driving around or parked? Why the hell would anyone need to search the internet for a car to clone when they could just pick one off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Didn't we have a red 94 Accord with super low mileage a few weeks back ? I think it's reappeared for 1500 !!

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/honda-accord/15299326

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thinking of picking this up, have talked to seller on the phone, all seems genuine. Any thoughts? I was thinking 500 max.

ZDQ3NjMyNDMxN2E3MDJiNjkwNGQ2ZjZlZmIzZDBjOWKtydvi21uXEE41g9U4LsQlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzU4MTMzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-ford-focus-1-4-in-a-great-condition/15467833?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Cianos wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up, have talked to seller on the phone, all seems genuine. Any thoughts? I was thinking 500 max.

ZDQ3NjMyNDMxN2E3MDJiNjkwNGQ2ZjZlZmIzZDBjOWKtydvi21uXEE41g9U4LsQlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzU4MTMzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-ford-focus-1-4-in-a-great-condition/15467833?campaign=3

Looks very clean for the year. I'm driving a 2004 focus atm and they really are a good little car. Very slow but cheap for insurance, tax ect.. I find mine good on petrol and comfortable. I've actually had 3 of them so far and love them.

500 for that and you'll be doing very well. That shape focus have always been an excellent bangernomics car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My sister has a 2005 1.4 Focus, it's a nice reliable car, but it's incredibly slow. Not just the engine size - we had a '97 1.4 VW Vento which felt way quicker. If you're not doing much rural driving it shouldn't make much odds, grand for getting around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Got her for €450. Car seems in great condition, buyer seemed very genuine.

There's a small clicking when turning at low speed, not sure what that's about.

The radio knob is busted too, won't increase the volume properly but it has controls on the steering wheel as well so that's okay.

Seems perfect otherwise.

A bit shakey at around the 100-120kph mark but it could be because I'm not used to hatchbacks.

Apparently the car belonged to a mechanic before the last owner, and they're friends, so it seems well looked after.

Panic over, thanks very much for everyone's help here!

Now to get rid of the Corolla :o

A bit shakey at around the 100-120kph mark but it could be because I'm not used to hatchbacks.

It should be smooth, regardless what ****box you're driving.

Wheels are probably out of balance. Do it - it would be around €25 for all wheels, otherwise the bearings will eventually go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It should be smooth, regardless what ****box you're driving.

Wheels are probably out of balance. Do it - it would be around €25 for all wheels, otherwise the bearings will eventually go.
    That's like 5.5% of the cost of the car. That's nearing a CAT D :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's a stock OEM Ford radio then you can pick a replacement up from a scrap yard or donedeal for small money. Just make that the radio is not locked out or looking for a code. If you want something more modern with bluetooth, music streaming or usb port, etc then you can buy a double din bracket to aftermarket radios easily enough. You might lose the steering wheel controls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The radio knob is busted too, won't increase the volume properly but it has controls on the steering wheel as well so that's okay.

Seems perfect otherwise.

Apparently the car belonged to a mechanic before the last owner, and they're friends, so it seems well looked after.

CV Joint is the clicking at slow speed.

My focus alway shook at 100-120kmph, whether it was 17 inch alloys or 15 inch steelies.

CV Joint is the clicking at slow speed.

My bet as well. It is worth checking if the cover is fine. If not, clean it properly, grease and get new cover.

IMHO no point in changing the joint, not at this price point. I would chance it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

My bet as well. It is worth checking if the cover is fine. If not, clean it properly, grease and get new cover.

IMHO no point in changing the joint, not at this price point. I would chance it...

I agree, just apply some grease and mechanical sympathy when driving it and should be grand for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Seems perfect otherwise.

You done very well for that price. You could easily drive that for a year and get your money back at the end of it all. That's if your gonna look after it:p

Fords like that Focus and the Mondeos are great bargains atm..

BTW Parts are very cheap in the breakers and even the motor factors for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Keeping an eye on this thread and donedeal for a first car for herself. Is there any particular cars / models or age of car to avoid for high insurance cost bearing on mind its her first car and she will be on a provisional licence. She's 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Something small, less than 10 years old, and as small an engine as possible.

Insurance companies don't mind what age you are, no experience is no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'm sure the buyer was genuine, and humble!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Keeping an eye on this thread and donedeal for a first car for herself. Is there any particular cars / models or age of car to avoid for high insurance cost bearing on mind its her first car and she will be on a provisional licence. She's 35.

<obligatory Yaris is the car for you post>

But seriously, get a Yaris.

04 models are going for two grand these days. Will it be a policy if her name or yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Maybe not sub 2k, but what do people think of this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2007-1-6-diesel/15372984

ODVmMDUyZDA0NmFiZjAzOTVmODI0NjhmYzg4YWQyZDIt3O2QJRNawtNhRVo4fDDKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzA2NTQ2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Will I get screwed with insurance since its just 10 years old..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement