Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The engine isn't good in them

Weird cause they are practically everywhere, thought they must be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

colm_mcm wrote: »
    06 1.8 petrol Freelander tax and test low miles - €1,450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-1-8-petrol-freelander-tax-and-test-low-miles/19066610

No idea about these, but this one caught my eye.

K Series....

Sorry, what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sorry, what does that mean?

The K series was a BL designed engine around the time they were also putting Honda engines into some of their cars.
    It gained a reputation for overheating and blowing head gaskets.

Hence the "K for Kettle" moniker!

I think the Rover 213 had the Honda engine, and the 216 had the K.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The K series was a BL designed engine around the time they were also putting Honda engines into some of their cars.
    It gained a reputation for overheating and blowing head gaskets.

Hence the "K for Kettle" moniker!

I think the Rover 213 had the Honda engine, and the 216 had the K.

The first generation 213 had the honda engine and the 216 had the bl s series unit. The second generation 214i had a 1.4 k series and the 216 had a 1.6 honda unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Couple of family members have them with no complaints!
    Brother in law sold his a couple of years ago as he simply couldn't keep fuel in it. Was comfy, and didn't let him down (that I know of) but was an alcoholic on the diesel. He could afford it, he just couldn't justify it. Got a Cee'D after that, and now in a 520d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Top Dog wrote: »
    Brother in law sold his a couple of years ago as he simply couldn't keep fuel in it. Was comfy, and didn't let him down (that I know of) but was an alcoholic on the diesel. He could afford it, he just couldn't justify it. Got a Cee'D after that, and now in a 520d

Yeah, thats the view of 2 friends who have them - really well put together and the 2.2 crdi is excellent, but they were shocked with the fuel consumption. My sister gets an average of 33mpg in largely rural driving. But then, it is a biggish SUV, so not sure what they were expecting!

Seriously roomy and confy on a long trip, but a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I remember working for a Hyundai dealership when those Santa Fes were first released, 2007 ish and they were very well received at the time but I don't know if that's just because they we're a cheap ish big 4x4 in the middle of the boom. They were night and day compared to the Mk1 inside and out and to drive as well.

I think they were prone to oil sludge issues and bottom end trouble as they aged though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I bought one in Merlin a few years ago. Changed the oil pick up pipe as it was gummed up and it was as good as new. Drove it myself for a few weeks and it was a fine jeep but an absolute pig on diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

€1,850
    New NCT
    2003 Bmw 318
    100k miles.
    Bit left in the kitty for tax.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2003-bmw-318/11858336

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

€1,975
    2004 Mini One

Only 77000 miles.
    Full Service History.
    Just NCT’d to 6/2019.
    Panoramic sun-roof.

Need to get for a bit lower for a bit of tax but still worth a mention here.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/mini/one/2004-mini-one/15654885

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

pippip wrote: »
    €1,850
    New NCT
    2003 Bmw 318
    100k miles.

I think that new nct was new 6 months ago;)

That seat would put me off it, too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

pippip wrote: »
    €1,850
    New NCT
    2003 Bmw 318
    100k miles.

The mileage doesn't look "correct" to me. My seat didn't look like that after 200k miles, neither did the steering wheel.

The mileage doesn't look "correct" to me. My seat didn't look like that after 200k miles, neither did the steering wheel.

Mine was like that after 30k (before I bought it). I guess the PO used to slide in and out of the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    K for kettle

K for K-Seal. No bother. Drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70t-2008-new-n-c-t/19014654

MTZlYWNhZWVlNjFmZDRlMzA5YjIzOTk1ZmQzMDMzNzFvJx7qtpwnUVhMGs037WBvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDMxMDg2MzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

08, 12 months test, 2.5t, €1500

One exterior photo is a bit dodge, but still worth a phone call at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

An Ri rua wrote: »
    K for K-Seal. No bother. Drive on

For a mile or two :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70t-2008-new-n-c-t/19014654

MTZlYWNhZWVlNjFmZDRlMzA5YjIzOTk1ZmQzMDMzNzFvJx7qtpwnUVhMGs037WBvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDMxMDg2MzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

08, 12 months test, 2.5t, €1500

One exterior photo is a bit dodge, but still worth a phone call at least

Road Tax €1,294 - :eek:

Those Volvos are 205bhp?

bear1 wrote: »
    Those Volvos are 205bhp?

200 or 230 from 2009.

Bit of a sleeper..

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Bit of a sleeper..

Definitely. There are even better variants, but haven't seen too many of them on Donedeal.

Nil to be precise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    For a mile or two

Not a t'all. Have you experience of that? I put a 1000 miles extra onto a high mileage petrol engine running LPG that 2 sets of mechanics damaged. The last, fairly reputable in these circles, said it needed a new engine. A ten euro bottle of K Seal said otherwise.
    A mile or a few thousand, more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Not a t'all. Have you experience of that? I put a 1000 miles extra onto a high mileage petrol engine running LPG that 2 sets of mechanics damaged. The last, fairly reputable in these circles, said it needed a new engine... A ten euro bottle of K Seal said otherwise.
    A mile or a few thousand, more like! And LPG runs hot. A sure test of K-Seal.
    What happened after the thousand miles?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    What happened after the thousand miles?

Few he said ;)

Strange things happen to engines.

Got a red low oil pressure warning once. Checked the level, added a litre, then another. After adding another "few" drops I realized it was completely dry.

Went to garage, asked them to have a look. Not a clue. Still driving it now. Go figure. Checking it every few days now and no top up needed after few months.

Over 300k on the clock and running just fine.

A bit ot, I know, but there are things you just can't explain or prove.

wonski wrote: »
    Few he said ;)

I count four.

This looked like a good buy to me when I first posted it, but it's still here (and dropped €100). What am I missing?

2003 BMW 520i TOURING AUTO NCT TILL 2019 - €1249

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-bmw-520i-touring-auto-nct-till-2019/18479376

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This looked like a good buy to me when I first posted it, but it's still here (and dropped €100). What am I missing?

2003 BMW 520i TOURING AUTO NCT TILL 2019 - €1249

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-bmw-520i-touring-auto-nct-till-2019/18479376
    A thirsty petrol with a tax bill that nearly doubles the price of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Quazzie wrote: »
    A thirsty petrol with a tax bill that nearly doubles the price of the car.
    might be more appropriate in the luxobarge rather than bangerenomics thread.
    It's still comparatively cheap motoring - provided the car is sound and not more heap than cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's still a 6cyl e39 so it will have a good target audience, but it's too new for classic status and too old (and thirsty etc) as a daily imo.

Perhaps more one to buy and put away for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

NCT due date.27/02/2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement