Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

Maybe not sub 2k, but what do people think of this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2007-1-6-diesel/15372984

ODVmMDUyZDA0NmFiZjAzOTVmODI0NjhmYzg4YWQyZDIt3O2QJRNawtNhRVo4fDDKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzA2NTQ2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Will I get screwed with insurance since its just 10 years old.

I've been watching this thread for a few weeks with the intention of making a purchase soon. In ads like this one where the car reg is displayed, you can find out just how bad you'll get screwed (or not) with the insurance by fetching a quote on an insurer's website yourself.

If you go on the common word of mouth "They're not insuring 10+ year old cars unless you pay a fortune" and not do your own research, this thread will be useless to you. I find a bit of time and research is necessary, and looking up insurance quotes is part of that process.

They're not my current insurer, but I've been using AXA's online quote system during the 'window shopping' process to find out how 'bad' the insurance will be. However, out of about 8 Bangernomics I've seen and liked in here over the last month, I've yet to be denied an insurance quote online for one or get any premium above €1,100.

There was a 04 Nissan X-Trail on here last week. I really thought that would be the one to finally give me a "We cannot offer you a quote now, please call our help line" return on AXA's website. It was actually the cheapest quote I got for a Bangernomics car so far - €725 fully comp, even cheaper than my current premium.

"Will I get screwed with the insurance?" is a question easily and more accurately answered by yourself, especially when the car reg is in the ad. Nice car btw, it'd be worth taking the 10 minutes to find a quote online.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe not sub 2k, but what do people think of this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2007-1-6-diesel/15372984

ODVmMDUyZDA0NmFiZjAzOTVmODI0NjhmYzg4YWQyZDIt3O2QJRNawtNhRVo4fDDKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzA2NTQ2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    Will I get screwed with insurance since its just 10 years old..

I'd want to see hard evidence in the form of documented and verified service history that a 10 year old diesel car has only covered 68k miles. Maybe the drab colour doesn't help but that car looks tired for one with such low mileage. If it does check out as genuine then I'd still be very cautious of any diesel car with low mileage. Diesel cars don't like short journeys and a blocked DPF or failing EGR valve as a result of constant stop/start trips will make a fair dent in your wallet. Also that car is the base model S40 which means it doesn't have leather seats or other nice features you get on higher spec models.

As for insurance, the only ones who can answer that is your current insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That S40 is a uk import too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's also one of the cheapest 2007 S40 diesels for sale. Anything around that price range has more than 2 or 3 times the mileage too. Cheap examples of any car are usually cheap for a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

It was registered only 10 days ago to a new owner. Smell a uk import. Pass. Smells dodgy. Thanks for the input lads. Feel like I am wasting your time tbh.

• Advertisement

It was registered only 10 days ago to a new owner. Smell a uk import. Pass. Smells dodgy. Thanks for the input lads. Feel like I am wasting your time tbh.

Not to worry I'd say, I'll be back asking the lads a myriad of questions myself in the coming weeks.

This seems to be a really useful thread for the likes of you and I. Some of guys in here really know their stuff. See, my (unknowing) eyes would have thought that Volvo was alright. As you can see from other poster's answers, I know nothing!

Except for what I said about the insurance - Make use of the online quote systems before you are put-off by the "!0+ years in uninsurable" narrative. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

It qualifies with ease.
    Prob too expensive .
    I'm mostly posting it coz I like the pic's..!!

1 owner low mile '01 Golf.
    Asking €1,450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-petrol-low-miles/15453123?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

W123-80's wrote: »
    It qualifies with ease.
    Prob too expensive .
    I'm mostly posting it coz I like the pic's..!!

1 owner low mile '01 Golf.
    Asking €1,450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-petrol-low-miles/15453123?campaign=3

They're some damn fine pictures!1

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

What does this mean on motortax?
    7v8AugJ.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

What does this mean on motortax?
    7v8AugJ.png

New logbook issued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

But no change of owner. Potentially lost vrc and the owner had to order a new one.

Or just moved house or got married and changed surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I think the best pics i've seen on a classified site. I would like to think a person who has that much attention to detail would look after his car.

The car looks very clean but not very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A person selling has not only good photo equipment (wide aperture lens), but knows how to use it. Pictures are good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

carzony wrote: »
    I think the best pics i've seen on a classified site. I would like to think a person who has that much attention to detail would look after his car.

Selling it on behalf of their sister.
    She could be polar opposite...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I read your post as this: The car looks very clean and very cheap

and I was saying to myself what is he on about it's not cheap at all.

I read your post as this: The car looks very clean and very cheap

and I was saying to myself what is he on about it's not cheap at all.

Those Golfs have always been overpriced. Amazing considering all the faults that come with them.

I'd imagine there are plenty cheaper ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

grogi wrote: »
    A person selling has not only good photo equipment (wide aperture lens), but knows how to use it. Pictures are good alright.
    A very quick Google shows that he's a professional photographer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I thought the photos I've taken of my Avensis were ok. Just as well I didn't plafe the ad yet.lol.

Can you jazz them up after taking them, or did he apply these filters on his camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

What are those Mazda 6s like reliability wise? Have always had a liking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

marko93 wrote: »
    What are those Mazda 6s like reliability wise? Have always had a liking for them

My understanding is those petrol models are perfectly fine. Early Diesel 6's are supposedly best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-saab-93/15447912

Any thoughts on this, do they have any issues?

That's the 1.8 Opel non turbo engine. Cambelt interval very short, they're quite slow, and that's pure basic spec.
    I'd look for a turbo one if I was getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A few things with them:
    - especially with UK import - rust. Not a big deal with Irish cars, as we have much less soil on the road.
    - 1.8 likes oil. And while on its own it's nothing really serious, when the level drops rings are prone to wear. That results in EXCESSIVE oil consumption and gives emission problems. I would shorten the service interval to 10kkm/year with them and regularly check the level myself.

If one recently passes NCT, it is free from the above and would be a very fine car. Engine 1.8 will not will races, but it is very responsive while the suspension and steering is very nice and direct. It is a very much a driver's car. You won't regret it, but you need to get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seats are in sh1te and couldn't call it clean.
    That mileage if correct is near end of life you would want to be getting for near free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

That's some mileage for a Fiesta - the guy should get an award for spending that much time in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They rust badly underneath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement