Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

The 1.6 in those is too underpowered. It got low mileage mind you.

Personally I don't understand why anyone would cover their number plate when selling a car. Casualy taking a photo to put online yes, but when selling? To mean I means there is something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-avant-2-5tdi-quattro-sport-v6-180-bhp/18686203

ZjY5ZjhmMGViZWJjOTZmMjZhMjAxZDAzMmZhNmE4NTMBR9X6mCPEnwzv6_VRD504aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA0Njk3MTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2.5 TDI Quattro, long term owner, good spec, 7 seats, NCT to 3/19 - €1200

Watching this for a while now and the price is slowly dropping. It needs to come down under a grand to be appealing, when it does it'll make a cracking car (/bias)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-avant-2-5tdi-quattro-sport-v6-180-bhp/18686203

ZjY5ZjhmMGViZWJjOTZmMjZhMjAxZDAzMmZhNmE4NTMBR9X6mCPEnwzv6_VRD504aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA0Njk3MTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2.5 TDI Quattro, long term owner, good spec, 7 seats, NCT to 3/19 - €1200

Watching this for a while now and the price is slowly dropping. It needs to come down under a grand to be appealing, when it does it'll make a cracking car (/bias)

Looking at this for a while too. Was interested as i wanted somethin interesting to drive up west for the hols with the family. Was going to be doing a lot of driving and the mondeo is great, but boring. The idea is I would sell it when i got back but at the €1400 price tag that it had, i predicted a €500 loss on it if i was to move it on within a reasonable time. It had stuck at €1400 for a while so never contacted the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

They are supposedly quite heavy on fuel I read.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks a nice car but do the quattros of that era have that troublesome multitronic gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

bazz26 wrote: »
    Looks a nice car but do the quattros of that era have that troublesome multitronic gearbox?

I think it'll be very difficult to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

On cut springs or lowered, something ain't right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was it not that the auto front wheel drive cars were multitronic, and the auto four wheel drive were the much better tiptronic?
    interesting. The ad seems to agree with you btw:
    Automatic/tiptronic gearbox with steering wheel controls.
    Permanent 4 WD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On cut springs or lowered, something ain't right there

Uk ones have lower suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/megane-ncttaxed-until-march-2019-great-car-1-4l/19425908

Hi guys, what do you think of this? I know very little about cars and I'm returning to Ireland after many years abroad. Just Looking for something to get me and the missus moving and set up, hoping not to get screwed with insurance also! Any advice is very much appreciated.

justshane wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/megane-ncttaxed-until-march-2019-great-car-1-4l/19425908

Hi guys, what do you think of this? I know very little about cars and I'm returning to Ireland after many years abroad. Just Looking for something to get me and the missus moving and set up, hoping not to get screwed with insurance also! Any advice is very much appreciated.

i know it aint a BMW 3 series, that much I do know!
    The ad is a mess, picture and details dont match.

The reason Im following this thread so keenly now is that my missus' 03 1.4 Megane has pretty much died, looks like electrics.
    If I was looking for a cheap, reliable getaround (which I probably will be once we get confirmation the Megane is beyond repair) than I wouldnt be looking at these.

terrydel wrote: »
    i know it aint a BMW 3 series, that much I do know!
    The ad is a mess, picture and details dont match.

The reason Im following this thread so keenly now is that my missus' 03 1.4 Megane has pretty much died, looks like electrics.
    If I was looking for a cheap, reliable getaround (which I probably will be once we get confirmation the Megane is beyond repair) than I wouldnt be looking at these.

Holy.. didn't even notice that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Might want to check insurance first, been away for years, you will probably need to start on a small engine car like a clio or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Might want to check insurance first, been away for years, you will probably need to start on a small engine car like a clio or something

I'm in a similar position, lost all my no claims due to being away and now cant get a quote above 1.4, some insurers not even quoting at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’d steer clear of that megane, none of the details on the ad match up, you may find it difficult to insure that for the first time with it being an 04 reg as well. Do you have kids and need room for buggies etc or would a smaller car suit to get you started?

I’d steer clear of that megane, none of the details on the ad match up, you may find it difficult to insure that for the first time with it being an 04 reg as well. Do you have kids and need room for buggies etc or would a smaller car suit to get you started?

No kids so anything just to get me started would do. Do you think it's worth paying more and getting something less than ten years old and the insurance difference would be worth it? Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No kids so anything just to get me started would do. Do you think it's worth paying more and getting something less than ten years old and the insurance difference would be worth it? Thanks for the advice.

I dont think it is a question of whether the insurance difference will be worth it. If the car is more than 10 years old you might not get anybody to quote you at all.

• Advertisement

I dont think it is a question of whether the insurance difference will be worth it. If the car is more than 10 years old you might not get anybody to quote you at all.

That bad? Wow!

The details not matching isn’t a big deal really. It’s iust someone recycling an old ad. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you’ve sold a car in a few hours and have paid €11 for the advert.

It is rather cheap when you consider the long tax. If you got it for €7/750 and drove it till the legal bits ran out you’d do well IMO.

Three things to look out for with those cars; that the electric windows work (window regulators are a common failure), that the key card works (they were a crap idea) and that it isn’t lumpy on idle or acceleration (likely coil pack)

People will be along shortly to flame them completely, and you’ll hear a thing or two about build quality but really they aren’t terrible altogether. Very comfortable and nice(ish) to drive to be honest. That one looks like a nice example and I’d bet it has been looked after better than most.

If it’s local to you and you need something you can just get in and drive right away, I’d go for a look at least

The details not matching isn’t a big deal really. It’s iust someone recycling an old ad. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you’ve sold a car in a few hours and have paid €11 for the advert.

It is rather cheap when you consider the long tax. If you got it for €7/750 and drove it till the legal bits ran out you’d do well IMO.

Three things to look out for with those cars; that the electric windows work (window regulators are a common failure), that the key card works (they were a crap idea) and that it isn’t lumpy on idle or acceleration (likely coil pack)

People will be along shortly to flame them completely, and you’ll hear a thing or two about build quality but really they aren’t terrible altogether. Very comfortable and nice(ish) to drive to be honest. That one looks like a nice example and I’d bet it has been looked after better than most.

If it’s local to you and you need something you can just get in and drive right away, I’d go for a look at least

My missus' one is a uk import and has a nice spec for the year.
    The window reg went fairly recently on passenger front side, and the electrics have been on the blink for a while so no surprise its died now. But shes put a lot of miles on it the last 2-3 years and it owes her nothing.

terrydel wrote: »

Did you mention a couple of days ago that you were looking for an estate to carry dogs?

I have two nine month old springer spaniels and found the back of an A4 estate too small for both of them. Even with one it would be a bit cramped. I got an 03 A6 estate instead and they have plenty of room. Its brilliant; dogs aside it has nearly paid for itself in B&Q runs.

The 1.8t can have some issues when they're not maintained, and a lot aren't. The diesel in the old model A4/6 is a safe enough bet

Did you mention a couple of days ago that you were looking for an estate to carry dogs?

I have two nine month old springer spaniels and found the back of an A4 estate too small for both of them. Even with one it would be a bit cramped. I got an 03 A6 estate instead and they have plenty of room. Its brilliant; dogs aside it has nearly paid for itself in B&Q runs.

The 1.8t can have some issues when they're not maintained, and a lot aren't. The diesel in the old model A4/6 is a safe enough bet

I did indeed, well spotted :)
    I've currently 2 dogs but the old guy doesnt travel, only if its absolutely necessary, due to health issues. But eventually when he is no longer with us we'll get a 2nd. The younger one is medium sized, probably a bit bigger than yours, and any new dog we'd get would be that kind of size. We always want to have 2 dogs.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That bad? Wow!

Just ring them with registration plates. you may be surprised. Older, bigger cars were cheaper for me to insure.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis/19450121

NDcyYmE4YjgzN2ZkNzk3OTg0ODljM2NjMjNjNGMyYjVZxP-yYZcVoeWqlt95iBUhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDYzOTMzMTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel with nearly a years test, €400

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That will be gone by tomorrow I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The hitch is worth 250 on its own...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement