Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

marko93 wrote: »
    What are those Mazda 6s like reliability wise? Have always had a liking for them

Rear brake calipers give trouble also. Expensive fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

gooner99 wrote: »
    I thought the photos I've taken of my Avensis were ok. Just as well I didn't plafe the ad yet.lol.

Can you jazz them up after taking them, or did he apply these filters on his camera?

One technique in the Golf photos is that he uses a very shallow depth of field. You get this by using a large aperture (i.e. a smaller f/number like f/0.2). It isolates the subject of the photo from the background. You can do this with any SLR, but with something like an iPhone which is f/1.8 it's impossible. There are ways to add blurs in post-process but it's not worth the hassle.

However, and heading somewhat back toward the topic here, the downside of using this technique for car ads is that some of that blurred background is useful detail for a buyer. What's hidden in the blur on that Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Trojan wrote: »
    One technique in the Golf photos is that he uses a very shallow depth of field. You get this by using a large aperture (i.e. a smaller f/number like f/0.2). It isolates the subject of the photo from the background. You can do this with any SLR, but with something like an iPhone which is f/1.8 it's impossible. There are ways to add blurs in post-process but it's not worth the hassle.

Offtopic alert: an f/1.8 would be a very wide aperture on a FF sensor and would generate virtually unworkable shallow DOF. But while iPhone has a sensor of a size of fly's fingernail, the DOF is much more deep.
    However, and heading somewhat back toward the topic here, the downside of using this technique for car ads is that some of that blurred background is useful detail for a buyer. What's hidden in the blur on that Golf?

I don't think it's about that. Good photos attract - that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anybody got any thoughts on diesel civics... There's a good few 04 /05 on done deal well within bangernomics territory.. Are they old school Civic reliability?

(I've given up trying to post links via the boards app... 😀)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're a GM engine. They're a good diesel I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

colm_mcm wrote:
    They're a GM engine. They're a good diesel I think.

Thought they might be Isuzu/GM when I saw the 1.7 bit... Thanks

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Can I put my mother's car up here, It does fit the criteria.

Can I put my mother's car up here, I does fit the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

As long as your mum knows you're selling it, then sure! ;)

As long as your mum knows you're selling it, then sure!  ;)
    Cheers, Ya she has stopped driving, Father bought it new in 2005, when he passed away she continued driving till last month.  https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tdci/15413487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Cheers, Ya she has stopped driving, Father bought it new in 2005, when he passed away she continued driving till last month.  https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tdci/15413487

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tdci/15413487

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Strong money for a car with such a short NCT. It would want a fresh NCT for that sort of money imo.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tdci/15413487
    Tnks for that, wouldn't work for me. Had the car up a number of days now and no real interest, dropped the price by a few hundred and hopefully get a bit of interest.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Strong money for a car with such a short NCT.  It would want a fresh NCT for that sort of money imo.
    You could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

2008 Renault Megane
    NCT 03/18
    Tax 06/17
    'Monaco' model so has extras such as alloys, leather seats & air con
    Asking price €1,850

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-monaco-08-long-nct-amp-tax/15095886

NjRmNGU2ZTk0MmM1MTIzNjg1ODc3NmUzNThiYmI4Njgp8zqk9NjXjOgkBggQIdExaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTU2MTYwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The saloon version is a nice looking car but not in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Murt102 wrote:
    2008 Renault Megane NCT 03/18 Tax 06/17 'Monaco' model so has extras such as alloys, leather seats & air con Asking price €1,850

Those are a disaster when it comes to window regulators. Mrs, sister, SIL and BIL had those period Meganes, all tortured with regulators continually breaking due to a design flaw.

None of us will ever buy a Renault again as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Those are a disaster when it comes to window regulators. Mrs, sister, SIL and BIL had those period Meganes, all tortured with regulators continually breaking due to a design flaw.

Scenic too, neither are well made cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The heating resistor is a pig, you have to pull the whole dash out.
    Otherwise, no heat or fan.
    And, on the Scenic, the digital display packs it in.
    In my case I had to use an app on my phone to tell how fast I was going until, for €150, Renault installed a new one for me.
    Also, all the regulators went.
    Hated that car.
    Makes me hesitant to buy my wife a Dacia tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Murt102 wrote:
    2008 Renault Megane NCT 03/18 Tax 06/17 'Monaco' model so has extras such as alloys, leather seats & air con Asking price €1,850

I had a land rover a few years ago that was the same - replaced all 5 (the boot window had one too) at least once, must have replaced the drivers one 3 or 4 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The heating resistor is a pig, you have to pull the whole dash out.
    Otherwise, no heat or fan.
    And, on the Scenic, the digital display packs it in.
    In my case I had to use an app on my phone to tell how fast I was going until, for €150, Renault installed a new one for me.
    Also, all the regulators went.
    Hated that car.

I doubt Dacia would be using old parts known to fail though, so you should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Dacia usually uses old, but simple, well tested and proven solutions. I don't have confidence in the anty-rust protection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

zerks wrote: »

Gone in 60 minutes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jelutong wrote: »
    Rear brake calipers give trouble also. Expensive fix.

It's not expensive. You can buy two refurb'd rear calipers for €80 and a set of discs/ pads for the same price. I'd Hardly class that as expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

jharr100 wrote: »

Tax is a bit painful for what you'd be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-xj6-3-0-classic-4dr/15094435

OTc4MjkzZDZhY2JkZjhmZGRkNzg2MWUyYjU1YThiNmUNV8n72mAuyR4uPcDSjC6qaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTU1MDE3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I know its not NCT'd this very moment, but they'll put a new test on it for €1950. Service history good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

2007 Lexus GS300 for €2k - bangernomics at it's finest if you can stomach the tax.
    media?id=535a0f05-26a7-41be-bf77-73dea34975f8
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/gs300/used-2007-lexus-gs300-dublin-fpa-5904526376232061737
    I really should be buying this rather than linking it here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

^^PSV tax, but still! Great find

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement