Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bootser wrote: »
    Thanks, but had something smaller in mind. Astra, 207 something like that, Max budget about 1500.

1.8 tdci Focus so. 1.9 octavia might be a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

The commute is 140 per day, I'll be doing it 4 days a week. Not too pushed on the comfort, used to driving a small work van atm. Need to keep the costs down till I get a handle on how it will work out! Haven't had to commute before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The Astra 1.7 diesel with issuzu engine is a good car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mm_U5_NWIy_ZTBi_OGM0_MDg1_Yzlh_Y2_Ix_MTdh_MTcx_YWNi_ZTOWwz-7_Hgu5_DEe054_HMws_Hk.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-volvo-s80-automatic-2-4-l-diesel-nct-feb-2019/19374269

cheap and chancey d5 s80
    2005 Irish car with supposedly 220k kilometers on the clock
    looks clean
    Transferred to a dealer towards the end of May
    Asking €950

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see the OP spending 1k on motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looking to buy something in the bangernomics range in the near future. Obviously the newer the better, especially if going for a 1.6 diesel (if tax is cheaper). I currently have a 1.4 03' Corolla that I picked up for a grand last year but it's killing me on fuel (had a company car previous but changed job). Ideally a saloon aswell.

I notice a lot of the kind of cars in the above bracket are Peugot 407's. Anyone any experience with them? Herself has a 2008 308 and it's not the worst to drive, very economical. Obviously has had to replace the EGR at one stage and usual bits and pieces but can get by that.

Or what other suggestions would people have for the above? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t go near a 407 diesel.
    If a 1.4 Corolla is killing you in petrol, you either have a fault or you’re driving too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If a 1.4 Corolla is killing you in petrol, you either have a fault or you’re driving too fast.

Honestly I'd rarely be flying it. But maybe, rev count is well up on 3000rpm when at 60. As it is, I bought the car as a quick fix when moving into a new job and haven't really been all that fond of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Avoid the 1.6hdi but the 2.0 is a tough old beast

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Avoid the 1.6hdi but the 2.0 is a tough old beast

I’d sooner get a 406 than a 407.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I’d sooner get a 406 than a 407.

Not in any way looking for an argument here but what would you see wrong with the pug 407?

I have a 2007 2.0 diesel for a little over a year now. Executive model if that makes any difference.

There's 130k mile on it now and it's had full dealer service history so it's been well cared for. Other than a CV Boot (€200, fair enough for 10 year old) and a wiring issue on the brake lights (€40). It has only cost me servicing. I'm getting a steady 45+mpg (my calcs) on a mixture of short commute + twice monthly 300ml journeys so I can't complain about that. I genuinely find it nice to drive.

The reason that I ask is that I've already recommended the 407 as something to consider for a colleague. I'd hate to point them in the wrong direction.

I'd also be interested myself in keeping an eye out for anything that may go wrong.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I had a 1.8 petrol 407. It was fine. Took a pretty big hit on my driver side door. I'd have no problem sitting there again in another in good nick. But most of them are diesel or petrol that have been run ragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Down to have a spsv test on the nct website
    Does that mean it is a taxi ?

Motor tax website shows it's €95 to tax a year so yes it is/was a PSV. Pity the seller was honest enough to mention it in the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

bazz26 wrote: »
    Motor tax website shows it's €95 to tax a year so yes it is/was a PSV. Pity the seller was honest enough to mention it in the advert.
    If it's a taxi,then the yearly nct's will corroborate that low mileage.

vandriver wrote: »
    If it's a taxi,then the yearly nct's will corroborate that low mileage.

I'm not questioning the mileage listed at this stage but I am questioning the wisdom of omitting it being a PSV from the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Honda Civic 1.8 NCT 5/19`
    High Mileage, decent price €1,950
    YzhjZWNmNzU2NTllYzVjN2NmZGY4ZWU0MDA4YTkyZjhMJKqGlqZ7kIHHFog51ITUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDM4NjQzNDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Peugeot 1007, NCT 5/19 for €1,995.
    Electric sliding doors handy for someone with limited mobility.
    ZmZkNDE1ZTlmZWJlM2I3Zjg3MjRkNmRmYWY4Y2M0NDMMjc9hnUYO06x1i4r9Xof5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDY4NzI0MzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

handofdog wrote: »
    Not in any way looking for an argument here but what would you see wrong with the pug 407?

I have a 2007 2.0 diesel for a little over a year now. Executive model if that makes any difference.

There's 130k mile on it now and it's had full dealer service history so it's been well cared for. Other than a CV Boot (€200, fair enough for 10 year old) and a wiring issue on the brake lights (€40). It has only cost me servicing. I'm getting a steady 45+mpg (my calcs) on a mixture of short commute + twice monthly 300ml journeys so I can't complain about that. I genuinely find it nice to drive.

The reason that I ask is that I've already recommended the 407 as something to consider for a colleague. I'd hate to point them in the wrong direction.

I'd also be interested myself in keeping an eye out for anything that may go wrong.

Cheers.

As a previous owner of the 1.6 version it was feckin horrific!!! Engine wise and electrics wise!!! That said it was and 04 model and they may have sorted out electric prob but the 1.6hdi is a pox of an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If anyone is ever in doubt about the 1.6 engine check out kkvs saga thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

That’s class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

1 owner for 16 years

1.8t quattro a4 '00 €900

That would be hard to insure would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If new customer yes but if still insured no it shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://www.adverts.ie/16024221

2005 Volvo V50
    1500e

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Doesn't that belong to someone on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

No cost for me to change from an 04 tdi A4 with 6 months left in the policy with liberty.
    If it had the nice sport interior and multi-spoke wheels I'd be going for a it:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement