Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

Quazzie wrote: »
    Coil. Common issue. €100 to fix

https://youtu.be/omMa1K9DjaQ just like this?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yip. Simple fix, and relatively cheap to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bootser wrote: »

Not a link to car just site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not a link to car just site.
    Works fine for me, leads to a focus with 200k plus on clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Quazzie wrote: »
    Coil. Common issue. €100 to fix
    wonder why the trader wouldn't fix as a easy fix then sell a good running car,
    my worry would be its already been tried.

ELM327 wrote:
    Works fine for me, leads to a focus with 200k plus on clock

Yep that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Read this ad earlier and was passing by the dealer just now. Was tempted to go in but a) I have the same concerns as you and b) I don't have the cash for an punt on it right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

It's not their market. They look to sell most of their cars around 8K+. Why would they put the time into something that'll more likely result in a loss? A lot of those A4 1.8t's go for around 1-1.5k. It's not worth fixing it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pter wrote: »
    Read this ad earlier and was passing by the dealer just now. Was tempted to go in but a) I have the same concerns as you and b) I don't have the cash for an punt on it right now.

Tbh the mileage on any of that focus generation wouldn't put me off. The 1.6 diesel engine would though, its so slow its undrivable, it's a miserable place to be.

• Advertisement

Tbh the mileage on any of that focus generation wouldn't put me off. The 1.6 diesel engine would though, its so slow its undrivable, it's a miserable place to be.

It's a 1.8 petrol? Unless I cross posted against something that wasn't that 06 audi

It's a 1.8 petrol? Unless I cross posted against something that wasn't that 06 audi

Ah the link I got was for a 1.6 focus. My bad. I’m confused.

Ah the link I got was for a 1.6 focus. My bad. I’m confused.

I'd welcome your take on the audi all the same.

I know nothing about those 1.8t engines. Anything I know is only rehashed bar talk so can’t help you on that one. Best bet is to bring a mechanic.

1.8 Audi engine same as in golf and Leon and Octavia of that era.

Good engine but was replaced with 2.0 tfsi.

2006 vrs Octavia got the 2.0

Like anything test it and see.

I find them a cracking car and plenty more power can be harvested.

Thanks for that. I just wanted to know if that's was excessive mileage. The lack of grunt I can live with if it gets me A to B!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I've changed mine (03 1.8t) for the newer TFSI coilpacks, they are pretty resilient compared to the old sh1te. I'd be worried it's a valve problem or some such because anyone with internet access can sort coilpacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Thanks for that. I just wanted to know if that's was excessive mileage. The lack of grunt I can live with if it gets me A to B!

At that price its a case of checking the DPF, timing belt history and deciding if you are happy with a car that will be a bit rough around the edges. I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much if its all running correctly now, and that it has some history to show some level of care and feeding.

But I suspect the issue with that car will be
    * No history (its also a UK import)
    * Due a timing belt
    * short-ish NCT.

But if it checks out, they are grand cars. No live wire as HM said, but torquey enough for reasonable progress on Irish backroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd add: probably serviced to manufacture specified 20,000km service interval which is usually too long an interval for that particular engine to avoid carbon build up and sludging issues. Perhaps a rattly flywheel too.

Couple this with the fact that Bill won't budge on the asking price and is known to sell cars that are in questionable shape and you're left thinking is it worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Had a 1.8T quattro for 8yrs (2002 variant) with 50K - imported. Absolutely loved it. Engine is pretty bullet proof BUT..... achilles heel is sludging. The sump is pretty small IIRC and I recall at the time seeing a lot of posts warning people about this. If the oil is not changed regularly, the oil pickup can clog, which means engine death if ran in this state (Red oil pressire warning light). Stop engine immediately. Happened to me after 6 months of ownership; 200€ for a sump drop and gauze clean down/oil refill. After that, I religiously changed oil (correct spec of course), every 8000K miles, some will argue its too frequent but I'd prefer safe to sorry and oil & filter cost little.
    I also recall swapping out the stock oil filter for an alternative (larger filter). At the time, this was highly recommended by many fora. Serviced it myself for the 8yrs; changed clutch once and all coilpacks after one failed with approx 100K miles on the clock (50K by me). Nothing else failed during the 8yrs of spirited driving. The quattro cornered like it was on rails. Remapped by Joe Power after a month of ownership; changed the car completely. Seriously, a great engine. Loved it.

459336.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone have any thoughts on a 06 BMW 318 i SE (2.0 petrol)

It's in a dealership for €750 with 110k miles on the clock.

I've seen it but not driven it, body and interior looks clean apart from a small bit of damage to the front bumper

Other cars of this spec are advertised for 1500 plus.

Before I test drive it, is there anything I should be looking out for that might explain why the dealer has it marked so cheap, or is it just because of the damage to the bumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Ask yourself, is there a reason a dealer is selling it for less than he could?

He's not giving away profit for no reason

Ask yourself, is there a reason a dealer is selling it for less than he could?

He's not giving away profit for no reason

It's a 2.0 that nobody wants though.

I would say he wants rid as was taken as trade in would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a 2.0 that nobody wants though.

I would say he wants rid as was taken as trade in would be my guess.

That's what I'm thinking too. Its been sitting there for months and he's not advertising it very well.

The same dealer has a 316 es with slightly more mileage but mint body and interior and wants 2k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Akrasia wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on a 06 BMW 318 i SE (2.0 petrol)

It's in a dealership for €750 with 110k miles on the clock.

I've seen it but not driven it, body and interior looks clean apart from a small bit of damage to the front bumper

Other cars of this spec are advertised for 1500 plus.

Before I test drive it, is there anything I should be looking out for that might explain why the dealer has it marked so cheap, or is it just because of the damage to the bumper?

I bought a 2006 320i Msport, manual, full cream leather just before Christmas,low miles , It was much cheaper than similar diesels 320d,s with lower spec and had been driven to the moon and back looking double the money.

I love the car, it handles like a gokart, I now find it hard to drive anything else. No issues with mine so far, did an oil change, one of the rear shocks is gone, BMW were looking for €260 ... .. . I politely declined, still on my to do list.
    The 320i is 150hp and I find it plenty for overtaking and as it handles so well you can still have great fun on twisty roads. Only issue i have is the gearbox is a bit clunky and you can be caught out selecting 1st and reverse.

Not sure how much hp the 318i is maybe a slightly detuned version of the 320i block ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

318i is 143bhp, 320i is 170bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think pre 2007 E90 318i would have been 122bhp and 320i 150bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

2010 Panda 1.1
    60k km's
    NCT April '20
    Tax July '19
    Asking €1,650
    Could be worth a call.
    I like them

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2010-nct/19651874

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Think the photos would put me off, couldn't have tried less or maybe he's selling a bike too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement