Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

they'll put a new test on it

"they" always promise lots of things. No NCT => it doesn't belong in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

unkel wrote: »
    "they" always promise lots of things. No NCT => it doesn't belong in here.

Totally unrelated to the Jag, but the dealer.."they"..are fantastic to deal with. Bought from them at Christma, a car one year newer than the Jag and they were very happy to guarantee the car for three months without even asking.

I'm going to stick by that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Totally unrelated to the Jag, but the dealer.."they"..are fantastic to deal with. Bought from them at Christma, a car one year newer than the Jag and they were very happy to guarantee the car for three months without even asking.

Isn't 3 months the minimum legal requirement for a guarantee when buying from a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

high horse wrote: »
    Isn't 3 months the minimum legal requirement for a guarantee when buying from a dealer?

There is no requirement for any warranty given by the dealer except for the car being roadworthy at the moment of sale.

Have heart similar stories about Webb. Their location gives confidence as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

grogi wrote: »
    There is no requirement for any warranty given by the dealer except for the car being roadworthy at the moment of sale.

It must indeed be roadworthy.

But it must also be 'fit for purpose' - i.e its reasonable to expect that it will not break down in the first few weeks. If it does, it must be remedied.

Now, how much joy you will get from them is entirely subjective.

high horse wrote: »

Indeed I believe it is, but there are a very very (very) many number of dealers out there who would not entertain the notion of it. Of course its your legal right blah blah blah but on a two grand car chasing up a guarantee is often more hassle that its worth...not the case with Webb motors however, the salesperson was the one to bring it up in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

commited wrote: »
    2007 Lexus GS300 for €2k - bangernomics at it's finest if you can stomach the tax.
    media?id=535a0f05-26a7-41be-bf77-73dea34975f8
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/gs300/used-2007-lexus-gs300-dublin-fpa-5904526376232061737
    I really should be buying this rather than linking it here :D

Very lazy effort at photographing a cracker of a car :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Proper bargain here, picture of ad in a local shop

€250 ono :eek:

Old skool reliable 1.6 petrol engine too. Can't really go wrong here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-skoda-superb-1-9tdi-very-cheap-low-tax/15529624

Sue Perb
    New belt and Water pump
    8/17 nct
    Low tax - 390

MTE0M2QxN2E2YTdiOWNlODM1YjEyMDlhNWYwOWMyMWQD6icOG3byGlehiEjEei-CaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183Mzk0OTMzMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Good value in fairness but nothing in the world could make you want to own it.

Edit: the €250 Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Good value in fairness but nothing in the world could make you want to own it.

Edit: the €250 Octavia.

The price would, straight forward potentially very cheap motoring if it all checks out. Mind you it'll be joyless.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Be ideal for that lad with the broken 320d that just started a new job and has no money, jackkerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

€250 ono :eek:

Old skool reliable 1.6 petrol engine too. Can't really go wrong here at all.

They were a troublesome unit. The reliable 1.6 is the one that came in the mk3 golf

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're the SR engine i think?

Pretty sure they're still the old skool 8V? As in used in the VAG group for decades until sometime in the early 00s?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Currently have a 2004 Renault Scenic that has served me well for 5/6 years but the amount of electrical problems is finally getting to me.
    Looking for a bangernomics type car, I do annually only about 7500 km so a petrol is more suited. Also I have 4 kids so definitely need 4 doors and a bit of room. Tax currently is 385 a year which is around what I'd like to keep paying. Would like to come up years even only one.
    I'm thinking about a 2005/6 Ford Focus 1.4, there seems to be few on DD.
    Has anyone any opinions or advice on them, good / bad / etc?
    Any other recommendations?

raddo wrote: »
    Currently have a 2004 Renault Scenic that has served me well for 5/6 years but the amount of electrical problems is finally getting to me.
    Looking for a bangernomics type car, I do annually only about 7500 km so a petrol is more suited. Also I have 4 kids so definitely need 4 doors and a bit of room. Tax currently is 385 a year which is around what I'd like to keep paying. Would like to come up years even only one.
    I'm thinking about a 2005/6 Ford Focus 1.4, there seems to be few on DD.
    Has anyone any opinions or advice on them, good / bad / etc?
    Any other recommendations?

A Focus C max would be a good call. If you are used to the interior space of the Scenic, a hatchback will feel rather cramped. The c max comes as a 1.6 petrol, so tax will be marginally more expensive, but if interior space is a priority it'll be a good call.

Example

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-c-max-top-spec-zetec-nct-jan-18-one-owner-re/13868755

NGVkM2I4NzBiNDJkOGM2MDZjOGY4MmNhZTIzMWMxODGVKgMWgjuRcwoj6FvW829gaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDUxODE1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Pretty sure they're still the old skool 8V? As in used in the VAG group for decades until sometime in the early 00s?

The aee engine was the old school unit which was very reliable, I think they changed it around 1999/2000 to the avu which was still 8 valve and was more powerful but suffered from oil consumption and emissions issues.

Somehow I thought that one was a 03 but seeing as its a 99 it could well have the older unit

• Advertisement

And if it wasn't, no-one cares about a few oil consumption and emissions issues on a €200 car that is tested until next year anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

And if it wasn't, no-one cares about a few oil consumption and emissions issues on a €200 car that is tested until next year anyway :)

I'm told that most of the VM emissions problems at NCT time can be solved by welding in a Toyota cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

gooner99 wrote: »

Looks clean - I had a very similar one back in the day as a company car - it was sold with well over 200k on the clock still running like new!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Gravelly wrote: »
    Looks clean - I had a very similar one back in the day as a company car - it was sold with well over 200k on the clock still running like new!

I know the last two owners and they looked after it like a baby. My brother in law had it before me and valeted it every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-2008/15450544

Astra 2008 convertible, lady owner, great body, looks great with top down, a real head turner, takes two in rear.
    NCT1/18

Njc2YjI0MjlhMzYxM2Y4OTBhMWFmNTUwZjczNWViYzjud8XXh4CvgwE-7SmBpVLGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzQ3OTA3OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-2008/15450544

Astra 2008 convertible, lady owner, great body, looks great with top down, a real head turner, takes two in rear.
    NCT1/18

Where did they were going in a convertible? 330kkm?! Do Opels last that long?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

lady owner, great body, looks great with top down, a real head turner, takes two in rear.

I nearly dropped the baby. Still laughing........

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

"330,000 genuine km"

1 - What the hell is a genuine KM?
    2 - If you were gonna clock it, you'd prob bring it down lower than 330,000 KM!

• Advertisement

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    "330,000 genuine km"

1 - What the hell is a genuine KM?
    2 - If you were gonna clock it, you'd prob bring it down lower than 330,000 KM!

If it had 531 kkm, a clocked one with 330 kkm is perfectly reasonable...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement