Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.5 or 2.0

They are meant to be quite good and a totally different car from 1st Gen where they were much.

First gen = good
    Second gen = bad
    Third gen = good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The aul lad has a 1.5 08 laguna. Hasnt had any of the usual problems with electrics that you get with the 2nd gen, windows keycards etc. Only hassle this one has given is the electric handbrake :rolleyes: and the suspension. Ball joints and springs. He was getting a fair bit of inner wear on the front tyres. Id watch out for those. Engine has been solid although it needs and has gotten the proper oil every 10 -12k kilometres.

Very smooth and comfortable car to drive on the motorways.

Cruise control gave hassle at one stage too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    First gen = good
    Second gen = bad
    Third gen = good

1st Gen was shocking bad????

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Both 1.5, I'm at work so can't post links. Thanks for the info. Just need something reliable and cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bootser wrote: »
    Both 1.5, I'm at work so can't post links. Thanks for the info. Just need something reliable and cheap!

Renault only do the cheap!

• Advertisement

They were an amazingly comfortable car and the phase 2 ones were pretty reliable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,457 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I had two of them. Both of them suffered with mental electrics that would see things randomly die. Lights, dash cluster, locks etc but apart from that they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

First gen = good
    Second gen = bad
    Third gen = good

I had a First Gen Phase 2, 1.8 RTE Sport for over a year in 2003.

Lovely, comfortable, smooth car. Never gave me any problems, apart from the rear demister that decided to stop working. Changing the fuse didn't fix it - I never did get to the bottom of it. Was probably a relay or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

First gen = good
    Second gen = bad
    Third gen = good

First gen wasn't a great car, probably made to look better than they were by the disaster that followed. They were very comfortable alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Shameless plug, 14 months NCT on it. Served me well for the last 5 years. Due a filters and fluids service. Timing belt and fuel lines and 2 new tyres done at the last service 12 months ago.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-tdi-sport-2l-140bhp-fsh-14months-nct/19550584

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shameless plug, 14 months NCT on it. Served me well for the last 5 years. Due a filters and fluids service. Timing belt and fuel lines and 2 new tyres done at the last service 12 months ago.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-tdi-sport-2l-140bhp-fsh-14months-nct/19550584
    Tip: I'm currently looking at diesel bangernomics cars with cruise, I saw your ad yesterday on the phone and it looks like the dash is showing warning lights, After seeing it on the PC I can see it's cruise control light on.

Also, blanked out reg plates is a major no-no for me looking at a cheap car.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tip: I'm currently looking at diesel bangernomics cars with cruise, I saw your ad yesterday on the phone and it looks like the dash is showing warning lights, After seeing it on the PC I can see it's cruise control light on.

Also, blanked out reg plates is a major no-no for me looking at a cheap car.

Thanks for the feedback. No warning lights at all, jest the cruise control light is on. I drive with it on 99% of the time. I will put up pics without this on and without blanking the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On the Laguna.

I drove many over the years and yes very comfortable and for their time loads of extras but by God they were shockingly unreliable.

Obviously wasn't it from around 2007-2008 they improved no end.

Great car and now no more.

Remember the windows would just randomly open when car parked up, left one outside for a few hours came back to find it running.... Key card was in my pocket and the car was off when I left it

They just done mad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Thought I'd post an update. A few months back I was under pressure to get something sorted and settled on a 02 Corolla found via this thread. Body was (and still is!) in pretty bad nick, and it only had a few months left before the NCT, but I decided to go for it as there was nothing else jumping out. It sailed through the NCT yesterday except for a mismatch of tyre sizes which I've to get sorted but no retest charge, appointment needed etc (so I'm assuming they'll just check the tyres and that's it?). Delighted as I've had a poor run of cars to date. Only has 60,000 miles on the clock as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help here

And she’s off to her new home. Sad to see it go but time for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

And she’s off to her new home. Sad to see it go but time for a change

That was a quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Renaultrouletteenomics asking 2 k
    Low tax low insurance only 430,000kms I'd be waving a grand or maybe €1250 or under his nose, there won't be a que around the block at that mileage .

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-renault-megane-with-long-nct/19750780

OWFiNjFhZWE4YjE4OWE5Y2Y2NjBjOTBjYzA0OWE4ZjYy67-NESAzkgWQ3CV0PltzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDg1MTEyMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I like this... bit of poke and i am sure reliable with no turbo

That was posted here a few weeks ago, I would have thought it would have been whipped up at that price. Maybe there is something up with it..

That was posted here a few weeks ago, I would have thought it would have been whipped up at that price. Maybe there is something up with it..
    Paying four figure tax for a 2.3 sub 200bhp front wheel drive mazda is probably that reason tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

ELM327 wrote: »
    Paying four figure tax for a 2.3 sub 200bhp front wheel drive mazda is probably that reason tbh

Saw this the other day in my local tyre place when I had to call in with a puncture on the work van was under pressure for time so couldn't have a proper look .
    Looks clean and guys working there said same alloys need a refurb though paint was bubbling on passenger front side .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there any way to tell if a car is an ex psv?. I'm looking at a highish mileage and would like to know if it was ever a jomaxi.

Googling the reg often works.

You could always pay for a history check too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Bigus wrote: »
    Renaultrouletteenomics asking 2 k
    Low tax low insurance only 430,000kms I'd be waving a grand or maybe €1250 or under his nose, there won't be a que around the block at that mileage .

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-renault-megane-with-long-nct/19750780

OWFiNjFhZWE4YjE4OWE5Y2Y2NjBjOTBjYzA0OWE4ZjYy67-NESAzkgWQ3CV0PltzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDg1MTEyMzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    Mileage too high

cadaliac wrote: »
    Mileage too high

That’s why it’s €1899 and not €5000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

That’s why it’s €1899 and not €5000

True but’ imo, that’s end of life and not worth putting money into

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it were an Octavia with that mileage there would be a queue to buy it at twice that price. I wouldn't automatically assume it's an end of life vehicle, the fact it reached that mileage would make me think there is a bit more life left in it yet. It's a relatively fresh car for small enough money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

What a horrible place to be for 430000km. Plastic steering wheel, basic seats , low power.

Great bangernomics as it's obviously been well minded to reach that mileage but God, no!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement