Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm just wondering where they found a 430,000km long hill to push it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Great value gotten out of that car, around 3.3c per km (purchase only) if he gets around €1800 for it.

Supposing seller was on current civil service rates, they would have claimed €128,490 and spent €28,000 in fuel over the last 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Great value gotten out of that car, around 3.3c per km (purchase only) if he gets around €1800 for it.

Supposing seller was on current civil service rates, they would have claimed €128,490 and spent €28,000 in fuel over the last 8 years.
    Or about half a million if it was a taxi.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lads whats a 2007 Primera like?
    Looking at a couple of 1.8 autos.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Lads whats a 2007 Primera like?
    Looking at a couple of 1.8 autos.

Thirsty, has a turning circle of a blimp.

They can be gotten for buttons, reliability quite good.

Not the worst place to be but won't light your world on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thirsty, has a turning circle of a blimp.

They can be gotten for buttons, reliability quite good.

Not the worst place to be but won't light your world on fire.

Its for my wife.Looked at a T-spec one--A lot of car for the money.

Nissans probably the only franchise I havent worked for at this stage so I dont know much about them.

Its either the Primera or Ill keep lookign for a Saab or Focus automatic.
    She wont drive a manual!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We had a manual '06 1.6 petrol one. Was very reliable, boring as hell and I liked it. Petrol consumption was actually pretty good but probably a bit worse on the auto. Pretty respectable car for peanuts.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its for my wife.Looked at a T-spec one--A lot of car for the money.

Nissans probably the only franchise I havent worked for at this stage so I dont know much about them.

Its either the Primera or Ill keep lookign for a Saab or Focus automatic.
    She wont drive a manual!!

It's a tough car to park.

They were always terrible in that the steering just cuts short compared to most other cars.

The engines go forever and most parts are good just well outdated now and of course no longer in production as the quasquai took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

When we bought ours, we were coming from an Alfa Romeo 147 and the steering was so disconnected (that might be the wrong word) compared to the 147 that I almost didn't make it around the 1st corner :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My mother had 3 or 4 back in the early 2000's and they were decent enough. Never gave hassle but I think they were hard enough on petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Trying to find a sub €1k car for the brother in law.

Dublin area, 1.4 or less, something NCT'd and that isn't ruined visually. Seems almost impossible.

Coming across some nice little nuggets along the way though. This looks great for €850.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-for-sale-n-ew-nct/19464598

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Dublin area, 1.4 or less, something NCT'd and that isn't ruined visually. Seems almost impossible.

Coming across some nice little nuggets along the way though. This looks great for €850.

That looks like a great buy, I had a 16v sporting for a short while and it was a nice steer, I know people are obsessed with the cost of tax but the bit of poke that has compared to what he's looking for has to be worth 300 a year, plus he might save a little in fuel but the fact you've posted up here means he's already discounted it :(

He's only 21, still on a learner license and working part time while in college so anything that resembles exciting or expensive is out. Would ideally like a 1.25 Fiesta but hard to find a good one with that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Renault Clio:
    NWJjYWM2YmNjNzAzMTZkOTIxZWZkYzU2NDNkODc1NThCbe6h7h5tK_ewW6FCT2EUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDg4Mzg5ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-renault-clio/19794841

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Can't see a 21 year old on a provisional being able to insure a 14 year old car for a reasonable sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zj_Jl_Ym_Ux_OTZh_Zj_A4_Mm_Iw_Mm_Zl_YWRl_ZDkx_NTAx_OGU0_N2_Rbky_SDn_TXPA_Zxaw9v_Jg_Ad.jpg

Nm_U3_Mm_U4_Mm_Zm_ZGM3_NWM4_M2_Ji_Nzcy_YWU3_Nj_Ix_YTNj_Mze-m_EA2ki01_Fg9f_M_DIMi_PF.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-cordoba/19437375

I'd go for something like this.

2008 1.4 cordoba
    188,000km on the clock
    Test till December 19 and a bit of tax
    Looks clean and straight
    Asking €1500 but up 25 days so surely room for a haggle.

Can't see a 21 year old on a provisional being able to insure a 14 year old car for a reasonable sum.

He's already driving a 03 Polo but it's had its day, I'd hope at least that moving up to a similar 04-06 ish car shouldn't have a negative impact but you'd never know.
    bazz26 wrote: »

That looks really good. I'll admit I had been overlooking Clios for fear that they were particularly unreliable but I actually don't know what I was basing that on now that I think of it.

............. I had been overlooking Clios for fear that they were particularly unreliable but I actually don't know what I was basing that on now that I think of it.

Probably due to them being Renaults I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Augeo wrote: »
    Probably due to them being Renaults I'd imagine.

Clio was always Renault's most reliable car. My mother has a 2010 in which nothing has ever gone wrong. Don't discount that Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

......... Don't discount that Clio.

Arrrrggggghhhh!

Dont say that to the seller ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Had a 99 Clio, 1.2 similar model to that one advertised.

Drove it for 3 years, grand comfy city car, only thing that went on it was the O2 sensor.

Handy to change too, would recommend them.

Clio was always Renault's most reliable car. My mother has a 2010 in which nothing has ever gone wrong. Don't discount that Clio.

No doubt, however it's fairly obvious why anyone would presume a Clio isn't/wasn't the paragon of reliability that you describe :)

Like, if there were 3 junkies and a non junkie in a house share the non junkie would likely be presumed to be a junkie by the neighbours :pac:

Well, that's that.

An Ibiza, 175k kms, 1.4 not the 1.2, claims to be 100bhp but I don't know. 4 owners and miraculously a fully stamped service history right up to 160k kms. Body is on decent shape, drives as good as you can expect. NCT until April 19. Alloys are a bit ott but it does look sporty for a young man and all tires are good.

Volume button is missing on the radio but that seems like it. Hopefully it fares out ok now. That's the worst of buying a car for someone else.

20180912_131631.jpg
    20180912_131651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

What is price ?
    Any link ?

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

What is price ?
    Any link ?

Tom

He bought it .

Bigus wrote: »
    He bought it .

Still be nice to know price.

Hopefully goes well Toyota....

:cool: looking bus. As you said, I dunno about a VAG 1.4 from back then being 100bhp though.

Neither did I but aparently it is. It's not a TSI it's the older engine but it's engine code is BBZ which Google confirms is 100bhp, I reckon a good few of those horses have escaped since 2005 though. Paid €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Bigus wrote: »
    He bought it .

D'oh!
    Was asking as I'm looking to change my Honda to something like that as I don't need automatic anymore.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

That BBZ engine looks good on paper but falls short in real life. The VW 1.4 naturally aspirateds are not great on power delivery. They need to be revved to get something out of them but simply don't like revs. The 100hp was supposed to be a 'factory tuned' one and that's the reason why it's gutless on lower revs, disadvantage of souped up lumps. The ones with less horses are better compromise in everyday life. And saying that, they are nicer other 1.4 non-turbo units around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement