Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Mini850 wrote: »
    Insure it as a classic if you had a second car. I got a quote of €395 for a limited mileage policy on a Cooper S

That's serious value

Which rules it out for those looking to run, maintain, and have the space for only one car.

This Passat Estate might be a good buy for those looking for that but more space.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-1-20-2008-vw-passat-1-4/20277240
    NCT 01/20 (would need to be verified with Vendor as 01/19 is noted under key info);
    1.4 Petrol;
    158 k km;
    Leather
    Asking €1,850

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can I ask who quoted you? Trying to sort something similar.

Autoline in the North should offer classic insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

18 year old e36 was €350 for 3k miles. If you aren't using it for extended periods autoline will allow you non use cover which is only about €100 for the year so I only ended up paying €160 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Bought this last month. 2003, 130 bhp, 145k miles, loads of history, 2 owners, years test.

28541347798_47a627cedd_c.jpg

Anyone interested in this? Now on about 150k, just serviced (oil, air, fuel and pollen filters & oil) and I have four Kumho Ecsta KU39 tyres on order that should be fitted next week.

Taxed till end of Jan 19 and tested till end of June 19.

Its a lovely car, never gave me a moments bother, I just fancy reducing the tax bill in the new year and maybe picking up a Mk2 Prius or Civic hybrid. Thinking of advertising it for €1500

Full service history too! Clutch, timing belt and all that jazz have been done by Audi under previous ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The turbo actuator on my Jag went kaput, that is so tempting me right now..

I bet it won't hang round long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 festesio

bazz26 wrote: »
    Autoline in the North should offer classic insurance.

I've a policy with them but they wouldnt touch the newer mini (in any form) when I tried...just referred to the 20 years old rule(yet a 16 year old merc/bmw/audi is allowed)

If anyone has insured one successfully with autoline I'd love to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

festesio wrote: »
    I've a policy with them but they wouldnt touch the newer mini (in any form) when I tried...just referred to the 20 years old rule(yet a 16 year old merc/bmw/audi is allowed)

If anyone has insured one successfully with autoline I'd love to hear

My S2000 in 15 years old in January I'm praying they consider it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Anyone interested in this? Now on about 150k, just serviced (oil, air, fuel and pollen filters & oil) and I have four Kumho Ecsta KU39 tyres on order that should be fitted next week.

Its a lovely car, never gave me a moments bother, I just fancy reducing the tax bill in the new year and maybe picking up a Mk2 Prius or Civic hybrid. Thinking of advertising it for €1500

Full service history too! Clutch, timing belt and all that jazz have been done by Audi under previous ownership.

Auto? Engine?

Auto? Engine?

Sorry, manual & 1.9 TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Sorry not a bangnoramics alert. What are the rules for classic and vintage in the south?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sorry not a bangnoramics alert. What are the rules for classic and vintage in the south?

For importing?
    If you want to get into the €200 flat rate , over 30 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Are you saying if you only want to insure and use the car for 6 months of the year autoline will give you a policy to suit?
    18 year old e36 was €350 for 3k miles. If you aren't using it for extended periods autoline will allow you non use cover which is only about €100 for the year so I only ended up paying €160 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

cyborg wrote: »
    Are you saying if you only want to insure and use the car for 6 months of the year autoline will give you a policy to suit?

Precisely. I paid for an off road policy in May, upgraded in June, paid the difference, reverted in October and got a refund again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Further details? Is it petrol /diesel? What is fuel economy like?

Leather, Cruise control 5/6 speed, climate control?
    Cheers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav4/20305496

Nice high spec example of one of these, room to haggle too. Tempted myself as a dog mobile, fuel economy is the only thing putting me off.

terrydel wrote: »
    Further details? Is it petrol /diesel? What is fuel economy like?

Leather, Cruise control 5/6 speed, climate control?
    Cheers.

Sorry (again!)

1.9 TDI, 5 Speed

Electric cloth sport sears, climate etc. Nice spec overall

Great in fuel but I don’t know what it’s gettng to the gallon or anything. I just lob €30 in when it needs it

I will have it up a proper ad during the week

Sorry (again!)

1.9 TDI, 5 Speed

Electric cloth sport sears, climate etc. Nice spec overall

Great in fuel but I don’t know what it’s gettng to the gallon or anything. I just lob €30 in when it needs it

I will have it up a proper ad during the week

Balls, leather and I'd be very keen, much easier to keep with my dogs that shed kilos of hair every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

2003 E220CDi, NCT to 07/19, €2,100

Mercedes usually make elegant estates, early model, so not all of the issues have been ironed out, but this is fully loaded and you'll do well to find a more elegant way to get around for €2K.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e220-cdi-estate/20195421

OTYwOWU1OWE4MTZiMjYwMWE5OTE5NGNkMGJmNGNiMmbdM3K93kLLdvMR2Lqp7NubaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTE4MDc3MjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Wow, that’s a fantastic find. Very good spec on that, I’m 99% sure that’s a sat nav screen in the center of the dash. I’d nearly replace my A6 for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

The Road tax is the killer !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

6541 wrote: »

Its €950 a year, so about half of what I'm currently paying. I'm tempted. Hope to look at a car this weekend, if it doesn't work out then I'll give that one a ring.

6541 wrote: »

If the motor tax was cheap then the price of the car would be higher., you cannot really have it both ways. That's how the used car market generally works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

W123-80's wrote: »
    '03 530i
    NCT May '19
    75k miles
    Lovely looking car. Obvs miles need to be verified.
    Asking €1,999

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-530-i/19320450

With some issues and no warranty blah blah talk from the dealer I would skip, especially at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

wonski wrote: »
    With some issues and no warranty blah blah talk from the dealer I would skip, especially at that price point.

I just re-read the advert. For whatever reason I missed the part about the issues!
    Totally agree.
    Not bangernomics in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'95 E220 Coupe
    135k miles
    NCT April '19
    Not many of these on offer for bangernomics money any more. Could be worth a look.

Asking €2,150

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-coupe/19946704

• Registered Users Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the motor tax was cheap then the price of the car would be higher., you cannot really have it both ways. That's how the used car market generally works here.

I know this point comes up on a regular basis and there are different opinions on it.

Personally I'd rather give a couple of grand extra to the guy who has looked after a nice car than give it to the Government.

I don't see what difference that makes to be honest, either way it's money coming out of your pocket and into someone else's. The end result is the same - buy a car with high tax and save on the price of the car or buy a more expensive car and save on tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Speaking of not minding high tax
    or mpg
    or insurance...

V8 Jag with supposedly 46K miles on the clock for €1500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/v8-jaguar-only-46k-mls/20306109

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Speaking of not minding high tax
    or mpg
    or insurance...

V8 Jag with supposedly 46K miles on the clock for €1500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/v8-jaguar-only-46k-mls/20306109