Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I had one with a lot more miles than that which still drove like new. Sold that car nearly 10 years ago now and I still see it being driven around the place. It's seen off a good few newer cars in that time.

I'd nearly take off the non original hubcaps and have the original wheels with original hubcaps showing. Imo I think they look much better that way.

Also I never really had any problems with road noise either but the premium tyres do make a difference I think.

Yeah, the hubcaps will be coming off but first I want to find the time to spray the wheels so they match the rest of the car. Will be a few weeks yet before I do.

My last e11 was a few years ago now, a 98 estate. It could be a bit hollow sounding at times but I dunno if that was just the empty space in the back or what. No issues now anyway which is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Gravelly wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge a car purely on the tyres either :rolleyes:

But it is a guarantee that if someone only bought one bargain tyre at a time, they will have skimped on essential maintenance. If they were prepared to spend on four good branded tyres at a time, you can be fairly confident they won't have skimped on maintenance either.
    Well you did say that if you seen a car with cheap tyres on it you would walk away there and then? :)

Can't really agree on cheap tyres = skimping on other essential maintenance either. In some cases yes but the same can happen on cars fitted with premium tyres, I've seen it.

In a lot of cases these days cars are fitted with part worn tyres and these often are from premium brands but didn't the owner still skimp on tyres by buying part worns?

I would judge a car on it's merits and do a proper inspection before dismissing it. Tyres would be a small factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

He said 'nearly' in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    ....Tyres would be a small factor.

Except this BANGERNOMICS and tyres are a major cost in that context.

Yeah, the hubcaps will be coming off but first I want to find the time to spray the wheels so they match the rest of the car. Will be a few weeks yet before I do.

My last e11 was a few years ago now, a 98 estate. It could be a bit hollow sounding at times but I dunno if that was just the empty space in the back or what. No issues now anyway which is grand
    I had all saloons and a 3dr. Never had any hollow sounds from any of them. They are not a tinny car despite being perceived to be. I changed a door on one of mine once and the door weighed a nice bit. Not light like some other jap cars

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Except this BANGERNOMICS and tyres are a major cost in that context.

I still wouldn't dismiss a car over tyres even if it is BANGERNOMICS

Pter wrote: »
    Do you offer your services out to noob negotiators Duke? A tagalong friend to play bad cop to my ones good cop

Hah! To be fair I've bought plenty from this dealer so there was a bit more leeway than normal. I don't go around getting cars for nearly half the price they're advertised at everyday :p

I think part of the spirit of bangernomics is giving others a dig out too when needed. I've helped family members buy cars in the past though, and when something goes wrong its been my fault for not finding said fault in the first place (months after buying!)..so I'm careful these days about stuff like that. I'm always happy to lend a hand where I can though, so shoot if you need an opinion etc!

idnkph wrote: »
    Which A6 is this????

Okay, this will be my last shill in here for a while. Promise!

I've an 03 A6 Avant Sport, 1.9 TDI, NCT to June 19, tax to Feb 19, just serviced - €700 drives it away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-0t-just-pass-nct-to-20-10-2019/20416553

MjY3ZDNlMzY4OWFmYzg1ZGJhY2MwYzQwZGQ1MmQyZWEPIHX-4xmrb8h4H3SHHERbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTM0MzQ5OTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like a lovely old smoker for €500.

2.0t, years test and just serviced apparently. Shame its not got an auto box but I wouldn't complain for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I've an 03 A6 Avant Sport, 1.9 TDI, NCT to June 19, tax to Feb 19, just serviced - €700 drives it away.

Hardly have any pics? I could pm you my email or number of that makes it handy

• Advertisement

idnkph wrote:
    Hardly have any pics? I could pm you my email or number of that makes it handy

Think it's this one

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-audi-a6-avant-1-9-tdi-sport-nct-amp-tax-fsh/20466722

Use of the word commensurate was a giveaway (intended as a compliment)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First pic (on phone) looks like car is on a trailer at first glance! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I gave 850 for it in the end which I’m happy enough with!

i was given one of those as a loan car by a garage fixing a gearbox, it was a 98, when i see it i thought they must be joking, but what a good drive it was think it was a 1.3, but still pokey.
    what was the insurance like for the one you brought ?

Okay, this will be my last shill in here for a while. Promise!

Sold, eventually - what a nightmare. I thought this would fly out. Had a couple of genuine expressions of interest but lots of screamers.

My brother bought it in the end to do him for a few months so I might yet find it in my possession again. I’m sorry to see it go, it was a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-2007-1-9tdi-ncttax/20481857?campaign=2

2007 Passat saloon tiddly diddly eye;
    168k miles;
    Tested 06/19 and 1 months tax;
    Timing belt changed @ 150k
    On at €1,450

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Babylegs

Babylegs wrote: »

Between rust, timing chain issues and dodgy gearboxes they are a terrible car and most of them see little or no maintenance in their lives. I'd stay well away and buy something like a Corolla, i30 or Ceed for the same money or slightly more.

Between rust, timing chain issues and dodgy gearboxes they are a terrible car and most of them see little or no maintenance in their lives. I'd stay well away and buy something like a Corolla, i30 or Ceed for the same money or slightly more.

Thanks a million, I've been looking for a Corolla alright, or maybe an Avensis. I'll take a look at the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks a million, I've been looking for a Corolla alright, or maybe an Avensis. I'll take a look at the other two.

Kia Rio is worth a look at too.

If you could stretch your budget a little then this worth a look:

MTM2YjM1ZTI1MWNjNGI3MDYwNThiMWYxMzdkNTU1Y2FC1SWyQFemeZqB_kGBi_SsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTM3ODc3MDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-kia-rio-1-4i-ex-high-spec-taxed-and-ncted/20466461

12 months NCT and it's taxed for 6 months too (cheap tax) which is surely saves you a few quid to add to your budget for the car?

The only thing to note is that the seller has a few other cars for sale also so he's not the owner or a novice seller.

bazz26 wrote: »

MTM2YjM1ZTI1MWNjNGI3MDYwNThiMWYxMzdkNTU1Y2FC1SWyQFemeZqB_kGBi_SsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTM3ODc3MDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-kia-rio-1-4i-ex-high-spec-taxed-and-ncted/20466461

12 months NCT and it's taxed for 6 months too (cheap tax) which is surely saves you a few quid to add to your budget for the car?

The only thing to note is that the seller has a few other cars for sale also so he's not the owner or a novice seller.[/quote

That looks brilliant, youre really good for looking! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The only thing to note is that the seller has a few other cars for sale also so he's not the owner or a novice seller.[/quote

My parents have had one of them for the last 10 years. Far from exciting but it's been completely faultess

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

Lucky you, here's the Corolla of your dreams!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-toyota-corolla-1-4-vvti-new-nct/20472570

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

My parents have had one of them for the last 10 years. Far from exciting but it's been completely faultess

Kias imo are greta cars they just keeo going and going. mine is on 176k on the clock and very little problems over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Whats the deal with those in terms of timing belts, things to look out for etc?
    I've seen them mentioned here before, are they genuinely very reliable?

The Kia Rio is basically a rebadged Hyundai Accent of the same era. They are pretty reliable and nothing complicated. Basic no frills a to b transport. The 1.4 petrol has a timing belt and the interval on them is every 90k km or 4 years according to info on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

terrydel wrote: »

Whats the deal with those in terms of timing belts, things to look out for etc?
    I've seen them mentioned here before, are they genuinely very reliable?

Extremely reliable. Close to 90's Toyota levels of reliability. Very simple and rugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The Kia Rio is basically a rebadged Hyundai Accent of the same era. They are pretty reliable and nothing complicated. Basic no frills a to b transport. The 1.4 petrol has a timing belt and the interval on them is every 90k km or 4 years according to info on the web.

Cheers, So that car is due one or near enough.

• Advertisement

If the info on the web is correct then yes so a bargaining tool with the seller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement