Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

W123-80's wrote: »
    '05 Corolla 1.4 Diesel
    NCT June '19
    0 previous owners, not sure if that means import or a genuine 1 owner Irish car.
    114k miles

Price might be slightly ambitious, but it looks very clean and had relatively low miles for a Corolla diesel. Lowish tax and no towbar either! Years left in that car if it checks out.

Asking €1,600

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-d/20732780

Krys is a bit of a Wheeler Dealer and a Toyota fan at that, three Toyota's on his "forecourt" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dia1988 wrote: »
    I can picture Pat Kenny driving that.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Dia1988 wrote: »

Nah, August 2017:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-aixam-electric-mega-city-car/16248418

OTcyNWY2OTIzZTZlNWQ1MDIyZDhjNDk3MTM5Mjk3NzS9BmpBnSEl4KLbJTjQMHiwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183ODc0NjcxOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Does this count? Test exempt, electric, cheap tax etc €1650

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-11-19-fiat-panda/19833116

ZGJjYTRkYWVkNjAzMzk0NTQxN2FjYjU1OWViYjllNDOP6bOr4BlXxWRzJy7w3nqQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTUwMzY3Nzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I'd say €500 would buy this, its on since way before Christmas and has just been bumped on Adverts

NCT to 11/19. I didn't even know these were available on a 03 plate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Old diesel wrote: »
    The badge on the back looks like it's a UK T2/T3 badge - the T2 or T3 were the way Toyota named the trim levels in the UK back then.

It's not an issue imo - although the mileage does look low for a 2005 diesel Corolla.

Might be an issue too though. My 2004 Corolla banger was imported from the UK in 2008. Bought it about 3 years back. There was rust underneath when I bought it but didn't seem insanely bad at the time. Nonetheless, scrapped it last year. While there were more issues the advanced corrosion alone at that stage was more than enough to ensure it was retired to the scrap heap. When looking at a few replacement cars the few ex UK cars I did look at were in a bad enough way underneath. A 2010 Auris in particular was terrible, even had some bubbling in the lower part of the rear door. Won't say all ex UK cars here are bad but the very vast majority I've seen were not in good shape underneath. I've said it before here, I'd sooner go with a cleaner Irish car even if chances are you aren't getting near as many toys.

Small things though, I have a massive gap on a focus bonnet and it was never crashed, in family since new, just a crap day at the factory!!

Are you sure it was like that from when it was taken delivery off though? Either was I'd be very doubtful it left the factory like that. Was it ever pushed, out of a parking space to allow it to be jump started if it had a flat battery for example or to allow for it to be clutch started etc.? That would definitely put panels out of alignment. Happened me with my then pride and joy once and annoyed me something silly for some time later!

Anyway, enough of my rattling on! Obligatory banger...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-ford-mondeo/20690067
    2008 Mondeo 1.6 saloon;
    NCT 05/19;
    136K KM;
    Asking €1,650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Won't say all ex UK cars here are bad but the very vast majority I've seen were not in good shape underneath. I've said it before here, I'd sooner go with a cleaner Irish car even if chances are you aren't getting near as many toys.

After the cold winters of 2009 - 2012 there was enough caustic grit used on Irish roads to make that point moot. When I was buying a replacement for the wifes alfa 159 (An '07 I had to scrap due to rust as well) i saw several Irish Fords, Saabs, Peugeots from 2009 that ALL had signs of advanced corrosion along sills and front subframes. Even alloy wheels were destroyed from it. In the end I moved down in size and up in year to be clear of the problem, settling on a late 2012 Alfa Giulietta from the UK. It was from the south east and it is *spotless* underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I'd say €500 would buy this, its on since way before Christmas and has just been bumped on Adverts

NCT to 11/19. I didn't even know these were available on a 03 plate

it must have been one of the very first alright.

You will be lucky owner no. 13!! Thats a lot for a car thats less than 400 euros to tax, so hardly passed round the family as a dodge?

Otherwise its a bargain, there's not a lot to go wrong in them, even on the Fiat scale of things.

Great driving car too, once you wind them up and dont use the brakes they cover ground surprisingly quickly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Might be an issue too though. My 2004 Corolla banger was imported from the UK in 2008. Bought it about 3 years back. There was rust underneath when I bought it but didn't seem insanely bad at the time. Nonetheless, scrapped it last year. While there were more issues the advanced corrosion alone at that stage was more than enough to ensure it was retired to the scrap heap. When looking at a few replacement cars the few ex UK cars I did look at were in a bad enough way underneath. A 2010 Auris in particular was terrible, even had some bubbling in the lower part of the rear door. Won't say all ex UK cars here are bad but the very vast majority I've seen were not in good shape underneath. I've said it before here, I'd sooner go with a cleaner Irish car even if chances are you aren't getting near as many toys.

Are you sure it was like that from when it was taken delivery off though? Either was I'd be very doubtful it left the factory like that. Was it ever pushed, out of a parking space to allow it to be jump started if it had a flat battery for example or to allow for it to be clutch started etc.? That would definitely put panels out of alignment. Happened me with my then pride and joy once and annoyed me something silly for some time later!

Anyway, enough of my rattling on! Obligatory banger...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-ford-mondeo/20690067
    2008 Mondeo 1.6 saloon;
    NCT 05/19;
    136K KM;
    Asking €1,650

Good post - I genuinely would not have thought an E12 Corolla would rust so severely.

Even with it been a UK car.

Definitely something to be aware of.

This issue of UK cars rusting more isnt new - I recall hearing a mechanic talking of "good cars" to import from the UK back in the 90s.

Basically the good list was made up of cars you'd associate with good rust protection from factory.

So big Volvos, Audis with the galvanised steel - ie the late 80s Audi 80s with the aero shape, old school Mercs* and stuff like that.

*this was pre W210 so at the time just normal for Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I do think 26000 Elephants also makes very relevant points.

My 1990s antidote was from a time where the UK salted the roads where the Irish authorities tended not to.

There is definitely a significant difference in climate in say somewhere like Devon and Cornwall compared to Scotland. The latter more likely to get snow hence more salt exposure.

Alfa 159s ARE noted for subframe rust and annoyingly the front one is hard to get access to apparently.

After the cold winters of 2009 - 2012 there was enough caustic grit used on Irish roads to make that point moot. When I was buying a replacement for the wifes alfa 159 (An '07 I had to scrap due to rust as well) i saw several Irish Fords, Saabs, Peugeots from 2009 that ALL had signs of advanced corrosion along sills and front subframes. Even alloy wheels were destroyed from it. In the end I moved down in size and up in year to be clear of the problem, settling on a late 2012 Alfa Giulietta from the UK. It was from the south east and it is *spotless* underneath.

Ah wasn't try to imply that no Irish road was ever gritted either although the Irish authorities traditionally tended to be more reactionary versus their UK counterparts who I think tend to be more proactive when it comes to gritting roads and hence cars may tend to be exposed to salty roads for longer spells in the Winter months. As I recall at least one of those freezes you mentioned happened late on in the year and wasn't expected to be severe - county councils weren't stocked up for it at all and for many it seemed to arrive after the freeze subsided. No doubt there would be regional differences too and I did see last year in particular there were an abundance of gritting trucks around my own country area too.

Wouldn't doubt you that there are Irish cars in a bad way from corrosion and that there are ex UK cars that are spotless - can pretty much say hand on my heart that any ex UK car I looked underneath in my lifetime of which there has being quite a few was not in great shape though but granted I have not looked underneath all ex UK cars either. Possibility too that the likes of a Alfa Giulietta might have had a meticulous owner who washed the underside of it down throughout the winter versus say the likes of a company car Mondeo? Moreover though my initial comments were more "on the face of it" so as to speak though.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    I do think 26000 Elephants also makes very relevant points.

My 1990s antidote was from a time where the UK salted the roads where the Irish authorities tended not to.

There is definitely a significant difference in climate in say somewhere like Devon and Cornwall compared to Scotland. The latter more likely to get snow hence more salt exposure.

Alfa 159s ARE noted for subframe rust and annoyingly the front one is hard to get access to apparently.

Recall reading a used car buying guide in the Autotrader around 10-15 years ago where they mentioned that rust does not tend to be an issue in modern cars or words to that effect with no additional guide around checking for rust etc. - they must be joking!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-honda-accord-i-ctdi/20098580
    2008 Accord 2.2 on the lower tax @ €390;
    290k km;
    NCT 12/19;
    Does need a brake disc alright were told but if that's all were not doing so bad.
    Asking €1,950

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Yeah, doesn't seem too bad... :/
    Must have been from accessing boards from my mobile, wasnt back so did not see that till now!

Recall reading a used car buying guide in the Autotrader around 10-15 years ago where they mentioned that rust does not tend to be an issue in modern cars or words to that effect with no additional guide around checking for rust etc. - they must be joking!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-honda-accord-i-ctdi/20098580
    2008 Accord 2.2 on the lower tax @ €390;
    290k km;
    NCT 12/19;
    Does need a brake disc alright were told but if that's all were not doing so bad.
    Asking €1,950

How'd it get through a recent NCT with a warped disc? some NCT centres seem to go very easy, talking to a guy from work, saw the tyres on his car and could not understand how it could pass the test, some places are lax and others overly strict, even exceeding requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

1874 wrote: »
    Must have been from accessing boards from my mobile, wasnt back so did not see that till now!

How'd it get through a recent NCT with a warped disc? some NCT centres seem to go very easy, talking to a guy from work, saw the tyres on his car and could not understand how it could pass the test, some places are lax and others overly strict, even exceeding requirements.

I passed a few weeks ago with a sticky caliper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Need a car?
    Broke after Christmas?
    Don't care about your image?

..............introducing the Chevy Aveo..2008 1.2 powerhouse with NCT 12/19...750 euro!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-chevrolet-aveo-1-2-petrol-nct-12-19/20691358

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lets hope the money goes to a good cause, like parking lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-tax-and-test-09-19/20660657

YTIwMmZhODBjZDEyZjA2MjcwY2JhOTNhZDA0YWQyZGKP-b_rToz-RpSIwW9q3YdMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTUyNzIyMDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tax and test for 9 months, €1650

Nice yoke to smoke around in for a while

This is still for sale 2 weeks later at the same price. There is seemingly €650 tax prepaid on it so they're only looking €1000 for the car with only 89,000 miles on it. But realistically no purchaser prices fully for tax. I think Its worth 900 for the car and only 250 for the tax ? It looks lovely. I really like that colour on a Jag.

I agree, it’s worth closer to a grand. I suppose the owner is hoping to get €1500 for it though.

A bit of bartering will probably see buyer and owner meet in the middle at around 12

Do we know it went through the NCT recently though, did I miss something?

No expert but would imagine a brake disc can warp pretty quickly all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

crazyjim wrote: »
    This is still for sale 2 weeks later at the same price. There is seemingly €650 tax prepaid on it so they're only looking €1000 for the car with only 89,000 miles on it. But realistically no purchaser prices fully for tax. I think Its worth 900 for the car and only 250 for the tax ? It looks lovely. I really like that colour on a Jag.

Am I missing something here? that looks nice, Id be tempted, bit far for me, I wonder what my insurance would be :), Id like to take something like that on for a while but wouldnt want it sitting around if I decided to get rid of it, I imagine they take a while to shift, 1200 could be ok, and with the tax paid.
    edit, anyone know what these are like, anything to look for or notice?
    Do we know it went through the NCT recently though, did I miss something?

No expert but would imagine a brake disc can warp pretty quickly all the same.

Well it says the NCT is valid till Dec 19, so the NCT was probably done then, Id say less people get it done in advance by the full 3 months, than get it done on time or even late, so furthest back NCT was done was in Sept or just done recently. If a disc is going to warp, it must be fairly poor already, I wouldnt pass on a car with a defective brakes when it can be fixed so easily and cheaply,at least he's mentioning it, but discs arent that expensive, so maybe its masking something else, maybe the brakes need a bit of an overhaul if theyve been let get that far. Id do that job myself as Ive been offered bad prices to get that job done, but its getting the time, more cost for someone if no tools or experience of that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I've passed with warped discs in the past, a few times but all on the same car in different test centers.

In my case the warp was only evident over 50mph which they don't get to on the rolling test in the NCT.
    I repeatedly replaced the discs when they warped and they still warped again within a few days of being replaced. so the do warp quickly.

Brakes were overhauled and they still warped. Was a common issue apparently when I spoke to several mechanics about the system that was on my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Hi,

I hope this the correct thread to post this:

I have been looking at a car online it is advertised as no NCT, but when i checked the NCT site I decided to see what else I could find.
    When I went to booking it said, Re-Test In Lane with cancellation charge.

My question is does this mean it failed its last test and the seller did not retest it?

I would like to know before i start making arrangements to view.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It failed on something and the seller never addressed what it was and thus never had the retest.

If you are going to look at it, demand to see the failed NCT report. It will tell you what it failed on and thus, what you would have to sort if you were going to buy.

Not great that he declared no NCT when in fact it has a failed NCT report.

Id be thinking something failed he doesnt want to declare as broken to a potential seller.

Pter wrote: »
    It failed on something and the seller never addressed what it was and thus never had the retest.

If you are going to look at it, demand to see the failed NCT report. It will tell you what it failed on and thus, what you would have to sort if you were going to buy.

Not great that he declared no NCT when in fact it has a failed NCT report.

Id be thinking something failed he doesnt want to declare as broken to a potential seller.

Thank for the reply!

I will probably stay clear as in the add he says he bought a new and has been lying up etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi,

I hope this the correct thread to post this:

I have been looking at a car online it is advertised as no NCT, but when i checked the NCT site I decided to see what else I could find.
    When I went to booking it said, Re-Test In Lane with cancellation charge.

My question is does this mean it failed its last test and the seller did not retest it?

I would like to know before i start making arrangements to view.

Thanks in advance!

It means that it was put through the NCT but failed and needs to be repaired and retested. but is now being sold with no NCT instead of being repaired. The question is what did it fail on? Given the seller has decided to sell it without a NCT there is a very strong chance that the car needs an expensive repair to pass second time round and the seller is cutting their loses.

Is this a low value car?

bazz26 wrote: »
    It means that it was put through the NCT but failed and needs to be repaired and retested. but is now being sold with no NCT instead of being repaired. The question is what did it fail on? Given the seller has decided to sell it without a NCT there is a very strong chance that the car needs an expensive repair to pass second time round and the seller is cutting their loses.

Is this a low value car?

I am not sure how post a direct link:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-318i/20721897

Edit it worked....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

At that price there must be something wrong with it ;)

wonski wrote: »

Usually if its too good to be true it is just that :)

Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am not sure how post a direct link:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-318i/20721897

Edit it worked....

looks tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

wonski wrote: »

It's 6 months out of NCT, more of a fixer upper.

• Advertisement

looks tasty

It does so curiosity got the better of and rang them,

Failed NCT because of a coill misfire and he has replaced two coills and sparkplugs,

I no nothing about engines if that even sounds right ha!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement