Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If he replaced it, he could bring it back for the NCT and charge a good bit more. Would still be wary. Or saying to him you would take it if it passes the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Pter wrote: »
    If he replaced it, he could bring it back for the NCT and charge a good bit more. Would still be wary. Or saying to him you would take it if it passes the NCT.

No just rang see what it failed he said he was thinking of retesting now. Is there a way of knowing if the fail sheet is legit if I was to ask?

Well its NCT branded and its a printout, so yeah, he could fake it if he really wanted to......id let him retest it tbh. Take a look at the report for sure, but why take the test on board for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It does so curiosity got the better of and rang them,

Failed NCT because of a coill misfire and he has replaced two coills and sparkplugs,

I no nothing about engines if that even sounds right ha!

A car wouldn't fail an NCT because of a misfire unless it was critical. That's a yarn IMO. It failed on emissions, he's replaced the plugs and coils himself and knows he's clutching at straws so hasn't retested it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

A car wouldn't fail an NCT because of a misfire unless it was critical. That's a yarn IMO. It failed on emissions, he's replaced the plugs and coils himself and knows he's clutching at straws so hasn't retested it himself.

Cat is probably fecked if it was running with a misfire for a while too, and he may know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It does so curiosity got the better of and rang them,

Failed NCT because of a coill misfire and he has replaced two coills and sparkplugs,

I no nothing about engines if that even sounds right ha!

Stretched timing chains usually show up as random misfires (engine cannot be timed correctly so spark occurs at wrong time) so if replacing coils&sparks didnt fix the issue I'd say you could be looking at about 600euro to sort it.

Didnt think those engines were prone to worn chains, so could be a sign of general neglect.

(general question: "coil misfire" or just "misfire"? Do BMW obd's differentiate them? )

(another question on TFb point, is "Check engine" a fail in nct? i thought it was...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Check engine isn't a fail on a petrol car. It is technically a fail on a diesel but seems to be dealt with at the testers discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Stretched timing chains usually show up as random misfires (engine cannot be timed correctly so spark occurs at wrong time) so if replacing coils&sparks didnt fix the issue I'd say you could be looking at about 600euro to sort it.

Didnt think those engines were prone to worn chains, so could be a sign of general neglect.

(general question: "coil misfire" or just "misfire"? Do BMW obd's differentiate them? )

(another question on TFb point, is "Check engine" a fail in nct? i thought it was...)

The check engine light itself isn't a fail but they'll test it to death to make sure the emissions are ok. My own petrol E46 had a dodgy Maf sensor that would pop the light on but it never failed because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

thanks lads. I never brought a car to be tested with the check engine light on - I assumed that the one thing on the car that screams "There Something Wrong!" would be the first thing on their list! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seller has another BMW for sale and a set of wheels too so I'd say he's not a newbie when it comes to selling. I'd pass on that one, your gambling €700 otherwise and I'd fancy my chances better with lottery tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

thanks lads. I never brought a car to be tested with the check engine light on - I assumed that the one thing on the car that screams "There Something Wrong!" would be the first thing on their list! Ha.

My uncle showed me a Vectra he got into the garage for a pre-nct inspection a while ago, and it had a piece of black insulating tape covering the engine check light :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Here's a tip for anyone looking to buy an E46. You can easily check if any of the dash bulbs are not working or have been removed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKqQiUlJG8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

08 Mondeo with NCT July 2019
    850 euro

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/20750660

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Dia1988 wrote: »

€1100 to do the wet and dry belt in that so would need to be factored in if it's due.

I did 200k km in one of those over 4 years and couldn't fault it though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d have to run an equation on that. Factors being purchase price, belt price, mileage on car, likelihood of the car having another terminal fault, and how long you intend to keep it.

I haven’t done the numbers but the rough answer would be to not bother doing any work and drive it till it drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Need a car?
    Broke after Christmas?
    Don't care about your image?

..............introducing the Chevy Aveo..2008 1.2 powerhouse with NCT 12/19...750 euro!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-chevrolet-aveo-1-2-petrol-nct-12-19/20691358

I got given the one of those as a rental in Malta a few years back.

Bad and all that it was a rebadged Daewoo, it had a 1.2l engine that wouldn't have pulled you from the bed in the morning, the weight distribution was all over the place, the suspension appeared to have been carved from wood (it certainly didn't add any comfort and the merest hint of a corner scared the daylights out of it), and not a creature comfort to be found inside either.

Oh. And no air-con. In a country where temps easily hit 35.

Wrote it off in a collision with a Punto on a wet road (oh yeah, it didn't have ABS either) the day before I was due to fly home. No loss to motoring, and I was insured to the last so just had to sign the paperwork...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-suzuki-sx4-nct-2-2020/20751679

ZjkwYmFjYmI3OGU3NmJkNjMxMDk5NDFmM2MwM2FmZDaj5OagTRhIVBOdVn8HGH_UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYwMjM1MzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till 2020, tax for a month, 08 plate

€1150, but surely a grand would buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Bad and all that it was a rebadged Daewoo, it had a 1.2l engine that wouldn't have pulled you from the bed in the morning, the weight distribution was all over the place, the suspension appeared to have been carved from wood (it certainly didn't add any comfort and the merest hint of a corner scared the daylights out of it), and not a creature comfort to be found inside either.

Wrote it off in a collision with a Punto on a wet road (oh yeah, it didn't have ABS either) the day before I was due to fly home. No loss to motoring, and I was insured to the last so just had to sign the paperwork...

I worked for a garage that had a chevrolet franchise and the sales reps got given those cars to take home when they first came out.
    Not one of them was impressed. the IT guy got one too and likened the gearbox to a plastic bag filled with water, tied at the top with a gear stick coming out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-suzuki-sx4-nct-2-2020/20751679

ZjkwYmFjYmI3OGU3NmJkNjMxMDk5NDFmM2MwM2FmZDaj5OagTRhIVBOdVn8HGH_UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYwMjM1MzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till 2020, tax for a month, 08 plate

€1150, but surely a grand would buy it

Gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ABS has been mandatory on EU cars since 2004

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Gone!

Not surprised, very cheap "new" car for someone tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

MWZi-ZTFj-Mz-Bm-OTZj-Yz-U5-NWNl-Mz-Jh-NDhm-M2-Vj-OGFl-Mz-Y2-Ed-Thtq-AS1-Tm-J-55c-Fw8-E.jpg

ZDFk-M2-Fl-MDVl-M2-Qx-NDEw-Njhl-Mjg5-NTk1-Nm-Vj-ZDEx-MDl4rpe-IOdbf-HBc-R4-pux-Al-B.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-nct-and-tax-06-19/20748853

2004 130bhp tdi Passat wagon
    Looks clean
    Test till May
    Tax till the end of June
    Seller has a couple of other yokes for sale
    Asking €995

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Opel Astra 3 door with test till Nov. 2k.

What do you guys think of this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-opel-astra-gtc-sxi-1-4/20754243

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

gooner99 wrote:

Watch out for timing chain noises. It if it sounds a bit rattly/diesel like walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

gooner99 wrote: »
    Opel Astra 3 door with test till Nov. 2k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-opel-astra-gtc-sxi-1-4/20754243

They are nice looking car and that one seems to be in decent shape insofar as you could tell from the snaps, no picture of the drivers side is a pity. Although not astronomical the mileage creeping up for an Opel in my opinion but if it was always serviced on time as the seller mentions then that shouldn't be a massive issue either. I'd want to see evidence of that though and take a good look through the service record to ensure all jobs were done on time if viewing. Would seem to be priced fairly well @ €2k but I'm not too in tune with the price of them these days. Maybe someone else might chime in and tell you what to look out for if viewing. The problem areas may well be different to the Vectra B I used to own.

….Edit: RandomUsername done just that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

MWZi-ZTFj-Mz-Bm-OTZj-Yz-U5-NWNl-Mz-Jh-NDhm-M2-Vj-OGFl-Mz-Y2-Ed-Thtq-AS1-Tm-J-55c-Fw8-E.jpg

ZDFk-M2-Fl-MDVl-M2-Qx-NDEw-Njhl-Mjg5-NTk1-Nm-Vj-ZDEx-MDl4rpe-IOdbf-HBc-R4-pux-Al-B.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-nct-and-tax-06-19/20748853

2004 130bhp tdi Passat wagon
    Looks clean
    Test till May
    Tax till the end of June
    Seller has a couple of other yokes for sale
    Asking €995

Clean?

It's like a brand new car.

It's unreal to the world how someone could keep a car that clean for 15 years.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-feb-20-05-corolla-petrol-saloon/20755817?campaign=3

NDM3NDI4ZDU3OTcwYTJlN2E3ZTZhMmE1ZTlkMDA5NmbW45vttKpDqcIMOgCiOZWraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYwNTE2Njh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

05 rolla saloon, NCT to 2020, bit of tax, miles a tad high but still and all

Presume it could be got for about a grand (€1195)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'01 Impreza 1.6
    NCT Sept '19
    321k kms
    Nice looking car from the Subaru dealer, albeit with highish miles.

Asking €850

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-subaru-impreza-1-6-lx-classic-wrx-front/20518941?campaign=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'01 316 auto compact
    NCT Oct '19
    38k miles!

Asking €875

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-316ti-auto-38-000-miles-fsh/20141410

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement