Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I'd suspect it was 108889 at the last NCT, and not 148889, but it's too late to change it now. It'll get flagged as being clocked if someone does a Cartell on it after it's NCTd next.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/130bhp-sport-automatic/20886722

YzVmOWU4ZWE3MTMwYTg4YjgyOGRkYjc1NGI1NWY1MTeBAlz5F8APbc4P6q7XqVh3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxMTY5Mzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT is only till March, but will apparently come with a new ticket till 2020, tax to August, 2 owners, nice spec, decent engine - €1950

Pity its auto. Usually I wouldn't listen to the whole "will come with fresh test" line, but this ad seems very genuine so I'm making an exception. I'd love this

Nice, wouldnt mind the auto myself, would prefer come up the years, to level out, it' need to be an 07 min, possibly still in bangernomics territory, need a boot, with a dog, just be getting anything too new grubby, mileage would concern me a bit, I think the 1.9 in this might be different (PD) to the previous pre dpf 1.9tdi? I'm wondering if my engine would fit, wiring connections and all? mileage is low on my own, best part of my car.

Im thinking, if I could get a clean car cheap and keep the engine out of my own, could just be hassle and cost probably. Would like something with utility but a bit nicer than octavia. Like the corolla, the 3 door googly light version grew on me years after they were out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

1874 wrote: »
    ...mileage would concern me a bit, I think the 1.9 in this might be different (PD) to the previous pre dpf 1.9tdi? I'm wondering if my engine would fit, wiring connections and all? mileage is low on my own, best part of my car.

I think it's the same 130hp AWX. Mileage wouldn't bother me on those if serviced regularly. I have one off the road now purely because of a scruffy body and interior but the engine still runs like new after 205k miles.
    Auto box is the one and only thing that would put me off that car, but if that was rebuilt recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Skoda is on for good money with a fresh test. No doubt a few will dismiss it because of the colourrolleyes.png. Bangernomics ain't for those with a highly narcissistic disposition anyway though. Me personally, I've grown too old and ugly to be worrying about car colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The color wouldn't bother me in the slightest either but it looks a good bit overpriced considering the mileage, the age and the 673 euro tax.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How cheap should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How cheap should it be?

I'm not a car dealer, but I personally wouldn't give that car a second glance at over 800 euro. Because of the tax it's going to be at least one and a half grand to drive it for a year at that price and I wouldn't think there would be a lot of people interested in buying it next year.

That's just my honest opinion, how much do you think it should be selling at yourself?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I suppose the owner has it up at €1250 thinking he'll be chipped €250 and get a grand for it, which isn't really off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The swift is lovely, always liked those. My old man has an sx4 and tho it's a bit plasticky inside, it's not a bad car, road noise a but more than I'd like but it's very easy to drive. I'd imagine the swift is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How cheap should it be?

I'm not a car dealer, but I personally wouldn't give that car a second glance at over 800 euro. Because of the tax it's going to be at least one and a half grand to drive it for a year at that price and I wouldn't think there would be a lot of people interested in buying it next year.

That's just my honest opinion, how much do you think it should be selling at yourself?
    I'm a big Bangernomics fan but I don't buy to sell on. I typically buy cheap high tax propositions that have had loads of work done and that have been proven to be bulletproof when serviced. So for now, it's a 2006 CRV ctdi. High tax but a serious proposition for small money. Even managed to buy winter tyres and alloys, all for well under 2k. There still isn't enough price pressure from 08s yet to walk away from the quality motors to be had, high tax or not.
    That Octavia is a beaut at that price. Supreme winter hack or year round daily driver. Who'd have thought 10 years ago that we'd have cars that sweet in Bangernomics? Like a diesel Audi 80, except better built.

• Advertisement

The mileage has hardly insanely high anyway at @ 239k km. That's around 150k miles which is less than 12k miles per annum. That's possibly a bit on the low side for a diesel if any and not average. Granted he's not giving it away or anything but I think its on for quite good money taking the annual motor tax cost into account and knowing that it killing the value of older cars - but fair to say that's all factored in I would suggest.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6nct-2020good-dealneeded-go-asap/20655493
    Mazda 6 1.8 saloon;
    2007;
    NCT: 1 year;
    232k km,
    Asking €749.
    Drove one for about a day a year ago. Solid and refined car on the road but liked the juice notwithstanding that I was towing a small double axle trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

YTM5MTVlN2U1ZGVlOWZhZDQ5NjA2Y2IzZjBkMWVkMTTRQK4MWbL297uKRoOnkZhXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxODA2MjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Couple of months NCT, taxed until May, probably buy it for €200 if you arrived with the cash hanging out of your pocket!! :eek:

Listed at €495, only 84,000 miles, and still 2 months test left on it
    Nice automatic for under 500 quid!

ZjBkYjQ5ZTZkYzQ2NWE3OGJmNDAyNzg5YjY4NDdmYTLJZA2KySzLFumXEkMEpiWNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxNzYzNjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6nct-2020good-dealneeded-go-asap/20655493
    Mazda 6 1.8 saloon;
    2007;
    NCT: 1 year;
    232k km,
    Asking €749.
    Drove one for about a day a year ago. Solid and refined car on the road but liked the juice notwithstanding that I was towing a small double axle trailer.

Those are made entirely from caramel... In those Mazdas everything rots away, from calipers to the roof. Plus engine that sometimes needs more oil than petrol.

It might be cheap, but it is at least 749 to expensive...

grogi wrote: »
    Those are made entirely from caramel... In those Mazdas everything rots away, from calipers to the roof. Plus engine that sometimes needs more oil than petrol.

It might be cheap, but it is at least 749 to expensive...

Ah fair enough you seem to be in the know in fairness. The one I drove was a 04' belonging to my cousin. He mentioned once alright that there was a bit of corrosion underneath but nothing overly severe that he seemed very concerned about and it is a car that would have spent a good deal of its life near the coastline. Granted he did go through a few brake calipers I think recall him mentioning but then again the same chap has gone through brake calipers in just about every car he has had I think and there have being a good few brands. Can't ever recall him mentioning that it was partial to a good drop of oil. Then again that was just one car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know a man who paid €150 to get a towbar on one of those Corollas recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

elperello wrote: »
    I know a man who paid €150 to get a towbar on one of those Corollas recently.

From dealer it's nearly 1k

2008 Astra diesel estate
    Cheap Tax (280 per year)
    NCT until September, and taxed until end of June
    Listed at a euro under 2k, but I'm sure 1750 would buy it
    Looks like a nice clean car

M2U2YjIyYzgzOTk3ZDIyYWJjODdiYWI5MDYwYjhhY2JQxyElHyvL3QxQmT0fGasaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYzMzQzNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2-2-omega/20913135

ZDlkYTk1MGM0OGU5OTRjYmNkYWEzNzFkNGU0MGZhYjiEjucp24lzQ4TUateW88xeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTczMDU0Nzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Short enough test till the end of May but I do like the 2.2 manual Omega estate, €1100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Short enough test till the end of May but I do like the 2.2 manual Omega estate, €1100

2002 Opel with a €1k tax?! With expired tax? Just welded?!

Some serious brand enthusiast required...

Oops, missed the welded bit! :o

Suppose the other points you make are quite valid too..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    2008 Astra diesel estate
    Cheap Tax (280 per year)
    NCT until September, and taxed until end of June
    Listed at a euro under 2k, but I'm sure 1750 would buy it
    Looks like a nice clean car

M2U2YjIyYzgzOTk3ZDIyYWJjODdiYWI5MDYwYjhhY2JQxyElHyvL3QxQmT0fGasaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYzMzQzNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

What are them 1.7 diesel engines like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

grogi wrote: »
    2002 Opel with a €1k tax?! With expired tax? Just welded?!

Some serious brand enthusiast required...

I would take welded to be the diff rather than bodywork. A popular "slab car."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jamemid wrote: »
    What are them 1.7 diesel engines like?

They were generally reliable, more so than the 1.3 and 1.9 diesel versions. 1.7 lump is derived from Isuzu that was modernised by GM over the years.

2k seems a little on the cheap to me given it's on the cheap tax system. I'd be looking into the service history to verify that mileage is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-1-20-tax-6-19-00-celica-very-clean/20914066

A years test, 5 months tax, asking €685, looks like it'd tidy up nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-1-20-tax-6-19-00-celica-very-clean/20914066

A years test, 5 months tax, asking €685, looks like it'd tidy up nice.

Bit of cheap fun if you could get insurance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Gravelly wrote: »
    Bit of cheap fun if you could get insurance on it.

Yep, looks very tidy inside, it would give you a smile for very little money.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement