Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nice Accord with NCT for 5 months, 90k miles, 4 new tyres, 2 keys and lots of service history €825. If I was living near I would certainly have a look...

They are excellent buy in manual, despite the issues with exhaust camshaft corrosion issues with the early models. The automatic on them is not the best unit though.

I don't know the details, but Honda did not want to pay for some patents and reinvented the (spur) wheel. Did not go as well as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

grogi wrote: »
    I don't know the details, but Honda did not want to pay for some patents and reinvented the (spur) wheel. Did not go as well as expected.

You could very well be right. Not many people seem to know it but the world and his wife pay Porsche license fees for its automatic gearbox technology. Perhaps Honda thought they could do a better engineering job than Porsche. Wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

unkel wrote: »
    Still worth more than a grand. We'll see who's right. @cocoman - make sure to report back here when the car is sold :)

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Guys I need a car Pronto. Who's selling a Good Bangernomics, Near to Dublin. 1.4 - 1.6 Litre, less than 120k miles? Year 2006 up.
    Ideally Saloon or Big Hatch. Full service History.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would assume, in the spirit of the thread, €2000, but can stretch to €2250 by raiding the piggy bank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't know what's more exciting, the fact I have a 'new' car or that I get to post my first Bangernomics car for sale. This is my own Panda so any feedback on the advert would be much appreciated:

NjI2YjNiYzM1N2FkM2Y0NWE3ZDAwZjI4YjhmZjU4Mzhd8kffYKaK7qTDsVt0VnyGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDI5MTU3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-fiat-panda-low-mileage-new-nct/15589192

Well I've just sold the little pup and it's a hard thing to do, selling your first car. That said, he's gone to a lovely mature couple from the country who will hopefully get many years of enjoyment from him. I got close enough to my asking too so it worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well I've just sold the little pup and it's a hard thing to do, selling your first car. That said, he's gone to a lovely mature couple from the country who will hopefully get many years of enjoyment from him. I got close enough to my asking too so it worked out well.

Well done!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would assume, in the spirit of the thread, €2000, but can stretch to €2250 by raiding the piggy bank :D

:p
    Just was wondering cause the criteria was quite specific.
    Getting full service history will be a challenge in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Full history rule would rule out a lot of very good cars.

• Advertisement

Unless we count the auld tippex as service history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Full history rule would rule out a lot of very good cars.

Definitely - I find its very rare to get an Irish car more than 3 or 4 years old with FSH. Nearly every car you look at in the UK seems to have it though. I've an early 70's car I bought in the UK that has every single receipt for every item, from tyres to antifreeze that was bought over the 30 years of it's UK ownership, and a stamp in the book for every service from new until I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Gravelly wrote: »
    Definitely - I find its very rare to get an Irish car more than 3 or 4 years old with FSH. Nearly every car you look at in the UK seems to have it though. I've an early 70's car I bought in the UK that has every single receipt for every item, from tyres to antifreeze that was bought over the 30 years of it's UK ownership, and a stamp in the book for every service from new until I bought it.

My 05 golf has FSH, main dealer service until 2014 and then indipendent dealer since. Main dealer history can be checked on their records, Ive receipts for everything from 2013 on including services, tyres, oil, wiper blades etc

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Guys I need a car Pronto. Who's selling a Good Bangernomics, Near to Dublin. 1.4 - 1.6 Litre, less than 120k miles? Year 2006 up.
    Ideally Saloon or Big Hatch. Full service History.

How about this? Short NCT but nearly all your asks

OThiMWU3MGNjYzQzNTRiOGFmOTQwZWMxMDMxN2NlZDWVuI2KuTMQRVJX5ngw_jTcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjE4Mzg1NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus/15211895

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt Bill is in the business of selling bargains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt Bill is in the business of selling bargains. :)

He seems to be in business of selling at bargain prices...

There's obviously a market for it. Rough & ready at - what must be said - very keen prices from a big trader. Especially when you take into account that the cars he sells must be fit for purpose. I say fair play to Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There's obviously a market for it. Rough & ready at - what must be said - very keen prices from a big trader. Especially when you take into account that the cars he sells must be fit for purpose. I say fair play to Bill.

I doubt many would be fit for purpose but most will drive until it fails on nct or blows up. By that stage it would be too late.

Not saying all but a lot of stock is already ran into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

3dr, black, zetec spec, that's a nice car. Miles are a bit higher than people find palatable but with only 2 owners it probably has a service record.

I'd say that car is perfectly ok. Or no worse than you would expect for €1k. It still looks like a car that costs a fair whack more than that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

3dr, black, zetec spec, that's a nice car. Miles are a bit higher than people find palatable but with only 2 owners it probably has a service record.

I'd say that car is perfectly ok. Or no worse than you would expect for €1k. It still looks like a car that costs a fair whack more than that too.
    If it isnt mentioned the chances are it hasn't. Not that it matters much if the car is ok

His cars are cheap but his ads are ****e. I'd say there's a nice little treat in the glove box for someone :pac:

As you say, for €1000, if it drives ok it probably is ok.

I doubt many would be fit for purpose but most will drive until it fails on nct or blows up. By that stage it would be too late.

Fit for purpose is a relative term. If you buy a €500 car, you can't reasonably expect your man to fix the HG when it goes after 4 months. You can expect it to be safe with no major faults when you buy it though.

You can NOT expect this in a private sale. And with Bill offering cars for private sale prices, I can see how they are good value for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fit for purpose is a relative term. If you buy a €500 car, you can't reasonably expect your man to fix the HG when it goes after 4 months. You can expect it to be safe with no major faults when you buy it though.

You can NOT expect this in a private sale. And with Bill offering cars for private sale prices, I can see how they are good value for some people.

Somebody thought it was good value, the Focus is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

commited wrote: »
    Not to overpimp, but I've reduced to €1495 as I'd like it gone this weekend. It's a great car, I drove it to Edinburgh and back 2 weeks ago with zero issues. Only selling as I've upgraded to a 530i. €855 back if you want to export to the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

commited wrote: »
    Not to overpimp, but I've reduced to €1495 as I'd like it gone this weekend. It's a great car, I drove it to Edinburgh and back 2 weeks ago with zero issues. Only selling as I've upgraded to a 530i. €855 back if you want to export to the UK!

That's a fantastic looking car and yet another victim of our road tax laws.

Is the front bumper sitting fairly badly on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Is the front bumper sitting fairly badly on it?

Not that I can see, may be a victim of my hamfisted attempts at photography. Happy for anyone to check in peron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement