Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Irish spec ones definitely did not have a/c as standard back then, even the most expensive ones. Sure they only bothered to fit it to all Irish spec ones about a year or two ago!

The luna did and came with the front fogs too and rear electric windows and abs. I only ever seen them in liftback.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yes all those extra features were added to the 99 Irish Terra spec. Except I'm not sure whether the immobiliser was factory fit as I've never noticed anything on ours to indicate it had one. Key looks normal for example.

Never realised the grill could be specced on earlier be versions.

Edit its possible I've got an immobiliser but we don't seem to have a master key like Fiat and Fords of the era no flashing red light etc.

The luna (which is what I think the one in the pic is, ad is gone so cant see the interior) was higher spec compared to the 99 terra. It came with front fogs, electric windows in the rear a/c and semi bucket seats, the same as on the g6 and the e11 facelift, just with different upholstery. All e11 corollas came as standard with a factory fitted immobilizer.

The black keys are the master keys and the grey key is the valet key on those old corollas.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t think front fogs were added. Even the old XLi Corollas had an immobiliser. The non immobiliser keys are very very thin.

Earlier xli's didn't but later ones did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

While we are looking at E60's, this one has been on there for a week or two, has new NCT until Jan 2020 and also taxed until the end of March.
    At €1500, I'm surprised it's still listed and still being bumped

Y2NjMTQ4ZjMwNDlmZDgyNmJiMjU4N2QwOGEwYmRhZjJio8MwqBigUfLAHqhZwNudaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxMDQwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Anthracite wrote: »
    Again, probably irrelevant to strict Bangernomics but those Corollas were butt ugly at launch and time has been even less kind. I'd die a little every time I got into it. The motoring equivalent of driving an ugly fridge freezer.

The liftback and the estate are ugly but the saloon is ok and the 3door is nice in facelift form especially in silver.

Tbh I think it's ignorant to call them a fridge freezer because most cars in that class aren't exciting or meant to be exciting.

For it's intended purpose that model of corolla was very good and very well engineered which is why they have stood the test of time better than any car in that class from that era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

W123-80's wrote: »
    '04 520 E60
    NCT March '20
    Tax March '19
    101k miles
    Auto, leather etc
    Asking €1,895
    Looks a nice genuine car albeit with a fierce long-winded advert!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e60-showroom-tax-new-nct-4-20-low-mile/20959268
    Am I the only one who instantly thinks dealer if the price ends in a 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

vandriver wrote: »
    Am I the only one who instantly thinks dealer if the price ends in a 5?

Seller is a dealer

The ad format is the same for all of his ads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'01 Mondeo 1.8 petrol
    4 months test (May '19)
    3 months tax (April '19)
    92k miles with service history

Asking €550

Honest looking car. The least desirable of all Mondeos since 1993, but ready for road!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-only-92k/20955136

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The liftback and the estate are ugly but the saloon is ok and the 3door is nice in facelift form especially in silver.

Tbh I think it's ignorant to call them a fridge freezer because most cars in that class aren't exciting or meant to be exciting.

For it's intended purpose that model of corolla was very good and very well engineered which is why they have stood the test of time better than any car in that class from that era.

They are hassle free motoring.

Things I don't like

1) Legroom isn't great in the rear.

2) the normally aspirated diesel is slow (thats typical NA diesel though and the Corolla is actually one of the least crap in this regard in terms of NA diesels). Not great on fuel though. The 1.3 petrol is a much nicer option.

3) brake pedal feel is horrible after switching from other cars. The brakes DO work and work well (see positives).

What I like.....

1) I never worry about big failures or breakdowns.

2) good driving position and visibility.

3) anyone can seat in and drive one - handy when as 1) allows - it gets borrowed.

4) it's relatively comfortable and refined imo.

5) you get a light coloured interior - it might be "bland" but the "bland" colours in use for pre 2000 cars are more pleasing then the dark black interiors you get in lots of modern cars.

6) ABS works well imo.

Good cars if you get a tidy one

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    While we are looking at E60's, this one has been on there for a week or two, has new NCT until Jan 2020 and also taxed until the end of March.
    At €1500, I'm surprised it's still listed and still being bumped

Y2NjMTQ4ZjMwNDlmZDgyNmJiMjU4N2QwOGEwYmRhZjJio8MwqBigUfLAHqhZwNudaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcxMDQwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The tax is a bit flakey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

donalh087 wrote: »
    The tax is a bit flakey?

In what way? That it's almost expired, or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

It say tax is €268 - I would have thought it was closer to a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

donalh087 wrote: »
    It say tax is €268 - I would have thought it was closer to a grand.

That's for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

W123-80's wrote: »
    '01 Mondeo 1.8 petrol
    4 months test (May '19)
    3 months tax (April '19)
    92k miles with service history

Asking €550

Honest looking car. The least desirable of all Mondeos since 1993, but ready for road!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-only-92k/20955136

I'm no Ford expert but would have thought that the model that succeeded it is generally regarded as a less desirable model? Either way for the money that's a good spotwink.png. They are a smooth and comfy care when they are in good shape. Something to look out for is seized brake discs. Also them duratec engines seem to get pretty dirty as the mileage clocks up. Remember changing oil in brothers once and what little bit of oil did come out of it was the worst I ever seen from a petrol engine. Mileage on that one is low though so shouldn't be a problem just yet. Motor insurance is most likely to kill the likes of that car before anything else. Speaking of which definitely get a quote before you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

The second clause is true, but I don't see how that invalidates the fridge freezer thing. We are not restricted to sad but reliable Toyota Corollas in Bangernomics :)
    No argument on the mechanicals side.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of advise/help please... Looking to buy a car for mrs who just passed her test. Car will be used just for school runs/shops etc. It needs to be an auto as she passed test on auto and it needs to hatchback style not saloon. Easier to park etc (i'm told). There will be 3 kids in the car. I was looking at A3, 1 series, Golf as they seem to be similar size. She'd love an A3, most of 'em I see come in diesel. will diesel be a problem as it will be used on short trips only (5km max) ? She will only be doing 1000 to 1200 km per year. I know it works out cheaper to get taxi but...... The budget is 2K but can stretch a bit more if needed... Suggestions/advise please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

First time insurance on any of those cars will be very expensive. Have you gotten any quotes, and are you happy with them?

Probably not what your wife wants to hear, but I'd be looking at the likes of a 05ish Micra or similar!

First time insurance on any of those cars will be very expensive. Have you gotten any quotes, and are you happy with them?

Probably not what your wife wants to hear, but I'd be looking at the likes of a 05ish Micra or similar!

Sorry I should have said - she has been driving/insured for the past 4/5 years. She had Corsa etc which she was insured on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An auto A3, 1 Series or even Golf in that price bracket is best avoided imo.

I'd look for something dependable that will give her little or no grief and won't cost a small fortune to fix, something Japanese or Korean:

Toyota Corolla:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-automatic-nct-08-19-tax-02-19-105-m/20697553

Honda Jazz:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-jazz/20466996

Nissan Note:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-note-automatic/20902404

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My vote goes to the Honda.

• Advertisement

was thinking to call this guy - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-1-8t-automatic/20864829

Didn't realise used Germans could be that bad but I'll take your advise.

Yes, Jazz looks good, low mileage and looks clean. I see change of ownership in Dec, I wonder if its sold or if this guy bought to sell it on. Someone is coming to see our current car tomorrow, if it sells then I'll give Jazz guy a call.

If you are happy with 1.8 litre tax then the Honda Civic hatchback is worth looking at:

MDA3YjYxYzQ1Mzk0YzVjN2M1MDI2MTk4OTlmMWRhZjTrTWtsjbA_ZXX9pph2eeaeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY4MjQwMDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic-automatic-tax-07-2019/20483836

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are happy with 1.8 litre tax then the Honda Civic hatchback is worth looking at:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic-automatic-tax-07-2019/20483836

Although I'd love a Civic, is milage not too high ?

What are your thought on this ?

472267.jpg

https://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/auris/2008-toyota-auris/16315656

IF he gives for €3K ? IF!

164000 km is not high for a 12 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Some of those are not anywhere near bangernomics prices :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

bazz26 wrote: »

MDA3YjYxYzQ1Mzk0YzVjN2M1MDI2MTk4OTlmMWRhZjTrTWtsjbA_ZXX9pph2eeaeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY4MjQwMDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I just sold one of these with 67k for 1500. Not worth that price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Kamili wrote: »
    Some of those are not anywhere near bangernomics prices :confused:

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

clio_16v wrote: »

Also I think that has the I-shift gearbox ? Which wasn't as nice to drive as the CVT automatic.

There's a lot of bad "automatic" cars with horrible semi automatic gearboxes. Like a 2008 Colt or Lancer.

I think that most Corsa's have Torque Converter gearboxes ? Your wife will prefer driving another Torque Converter or a Honda CVT. A small engined Torque Converer Micra can be very slooow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

clio_16v wrote: »

And its a dealership on the Naas road. That would be enough to have me running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I'm no Ford expert but would have thought that the model that succeeded it is generally regarded as a less desirable model? Either way for the money that's a good spotwink.png. They are a smooth and comfy care when they are in good shape. Something to look out for is seized brake discs. Also them duratec engines seem to get pretty dirty as the mileage clocks up. Remember changing oil in brothers once and what little bit of oil did come out of it was the worst I ever seen from a petrol engine. Mileage on that one is low though so shouldn't be a problem just yet. Motor insurance is most likely to kill the likes of that car before anything else. Speaking of which definitely get a quote before you look at it.

Thats a fine looking car, dont know what they are like for rust?
    500 or so quid, just on the verge of being able to get an NCT, is that coincidence? be handy if they just went and got that sorted, might have to have an existing old car to get insurance, I guess that might be one advantage of driving an older car and a shameful excuse to get rid of them.

Seller also selling another Ford?, not a great fan of the shape, but if its alright, then for the money could do for what someone's looking for, if my yoke claps out, Id be looking for something clean and cheap in the interim of buying something nicer, but if its clean and cheap and runs I'd be tempted to keep a car like that.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-c-max-ghia/20966511

NjM4ODhhZWIyNGU3ZjQ4ZmY2N2FjZjc3MTg1OWRiZTBMyUwGjTv12RxNG_9lDhovaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3MjQ3Mjd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement