Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bbari wrote: »
    Although I'd love a Civic, is milage not too high ?

What are your thought on this ?

472267.jpg

https://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/auris/2008-toyota-auris/16315656

IF he gives for €3K ? IF!

That looks nice. Turn up with 3k and show it to him, personally I think you'd have a good chance, and if you went to 3250 he'd be mad not to take it.
    You mentioned an a3, I've an 04 3 door 1.6 petrol, I've had it 6.5 years and they are a lovely car. Very refined for the age, much nicer to spend time in than many cars 4+ years younger. If you do go for one, go for one with dual climate control, it makes a big difference.
    But as others have said, parts would be dearer than a lot of other brands. The 1.6 petrol engine I have is very, very reliable tho, its basic but bullet proof.
    With the mileage you are doing diesel would be a complete waste of time.
    Fuel economy on my a3 isnt amazing but its ok. The seats are very good for that class of car.
    We also have just got a 1.4 05 Corolla which is solid and reliable (we hope, only have it 2 months!) but its nowhere near as nice to drive as the Audi.
    If you can find a nice a3 petrol in your budget go for it, but get the 5 door.
    Best of luck.

I'm no Ford expert but would have thought that the model that succeeded it is generally regarded as a less desirable model? Either way for the money that's a good spotwink.png. They are a smooth and comfy care when they are in good shape. Something to look out for is seized brake discs. Also them duratec engines seem to get pretty dirty as the mileage clocks up. Remember changing oil in brothers once and what little bit of oil did come out of it was the worst I ever seen from a petrol engine. Mileage on that one is low though so shouldn't be a problem just yet. Motor insurance is most likely to kill the likes of that car before anything else. Speaking of which definitely get a quote before you look at it.

He says the interior is spotless but the drivers seat looks filthy, so I'd take the rest of the ad with a pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

clio_16v wrote: »
    I just sold one of these with 67k for 1500. Not worth that price

You gave yours away. I sold mine 2 months ago for €2650, 07 1.8 i-shift with just under 140k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You gave yours away. I sold mine 2 months ago for €2650, 07 1.8 i-shift with just under 140k kms.
    I think you got a really great price to be honest there TFB. Someone overpaid for yours.
    €2650 for a 2007 petrol "new shape" civic is not generally obtainable I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think you got a really great price to be honest there TFB. Someone overpaid for yours.
    €2650 for a 2007 petrol "new shape" civic is not generally obtainable I would have thought

I'm surprised at how quick it sold being auto, but they are a desirable used buy. IMO any 2007 1.8 model with a bit of test should still be selling for over €2k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Looks a decent honest add.

It passes the would I pick up the phone and arrange a viewing test for me.

I'd strongly consider more photos.

Good to see you've bit the bullet and tackled from the word go why you are selling up after 10 months.

Short ownerships can raise concerns - so tackling it from the word go stands in your favour

More interior pics.
    Pics of the issues with the front you've highlighted.
    Any tax left?
    How are the brake discs/pads?

As someone with 2 dogs, I like when I see dog guard mentioned :)
    Is it half leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

clio_16v wrote: »
    I just sold one of these with 67k for 1500. Not worth that price

Granted a dealer will always want more than a private seller but maybe you could have gotten more for yours also?
    terrydel wrote: »
    And its a dealership on the Naas road. That would be enough to have me running.

But Frank Keane BMW are on the Naas Road too. Warranty on a car of that age and value is not going to be worth much anyway but the car being sold could still be solid.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

But Frank Keane BMW are on the Naas Road too. Warranty on a car of that age and value is not going to be worth much anyway but the car being sold could still be solid.

A rare exception up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

bazz26 wrote: »
    Granted a dealer will always want more than a private seller but maybe you could have gotten more for yours also?

No one is alleging that a car devalues once it's placed near the Naas Road. But Frank Keane doesn't buy cars at auction, wash it, pray it doesn't cut out on the test drive, and wash his hands of it if it goes wrong immediately post sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crazyjim wrote: »
    No one is alleging that a car devalues once it's placed near the Naas Road. But Frank Keane doesn't buy cars at auction, wash it, pray it doesn't cut out on the test drive, and wash his hands of it if it goes wrong immediately post sale.

My point is don't automatically rule out a car just because of the location of the dealer selling it. You will know pretty quickly if the car is as good or bad as the guy selling it. In this price range after sales is always going to be worth very little irrespective of the area of dealers it's being sold from.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

AudiAvant wrote: »
    Awx or avf engine?
    They are a great car

AWX rings a bell but I need to check to be sure
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Looks a decent honest add.

It passes the would I pick up the phone and arrange a viewing test for me.

I'd strongly consider more photos.

Good to see you've bit the bullet and tackled from the word go why you are selling up after 10 months.

Short ownerships can raise concerns - so tackling it from the word go stands in your favour

Cheers, I'm away with work until Thursday & will be getting it cleaned up for sale then take pictures then including the front.
    More interior pics.
    Pics of the issues with the front you've highlighted.
    Any tax left?
    How are the brake discs/pads?

As someone with 2 dogs, I like when I see dog guard mentioned :)
    Is it half leather?

Tax expired at the end of Jan'

Brakes are all fine

It was half leather now grey cloth :) Long story but: It's replacement is a 2004 A4 diesel avant :pac: but this time a quattro sport. I missed out on a mint 1.8t 190hp quattro sport recently so when I was offered the diesel one I just bought it, it came fitted with grey cloth which I'm not a fan of so I swapped over interiors. (and bought an RNS-e factory sat nav, an OEM armrest & cruise control module. Bangernomics ehh :rolleyes:)

AWX rings a bell but I need to check to be sure

Cheers, I'm away with work until Thursday & will be getting it cleaned up for sale then take pictures then including the front.

Tax expired at the end of Jan'

Brakes are all fine

It was half leather now grey cloth :) Long story but: It's replacement is a 2004 A4 diesel avant :pac: but this time a quattro sport. I missed out on a mint 1.8t 190hp quattro sport recently so when I was offered the diesel one I just bought it, it came fitted with grey cloth which I'm not a fan of so I swapped over interiors. (and bought an RNS-e factory sat nav, an OEM armrest & cruise control module. Bangernomics ehh :rolleyes:)

If it was leather or half leather I'd probably have some interest. With 2 dogs, I'm never getting cloth interior in something they go in ever again.
    Currently have an 04 a3, its a 3 door and the dogs go on the back seat, they are big enough madras and getting them in and out of a 3 door is a right faff.
    The mention of a dog guard caught my attention :)

I think the lack of tax will mean you'll need to come down on the price, but thats just my opinion.
    Good luck with the sale anyway, looks a decent car.
    Assume you mean you bought the satnav etc for the new quattro?

If it was leather or half leather I'd probably have some interest. With 2 dogs, I'm never getting cloth interior in something they go in ever again.
    Currently have an 04 a3, its a 3 door and the dogs go on the back seat, they are big enough madras and getting them in and out of a 3 door is a right faff.
    The mention of a dog guard caught my attention :)

I think the lack of tax will mean you'll need to come down on the price, but thats just my opinion.
    Good luck with the sale anyway, looks a decent car.
    Assume you mean you bought the satnav etc for the new quattro?

I stuck a full leather allroad interior in my Avant for 80 euro
    Easy to change over interiors on them cars,don't be put of by the colour or fabric of seats
    Once the engine/timing belt/waterpump has been well mentained and there's no water ingress on CCM then it will keep going

AudiAvant wrote: »
    I stuck a full leather allroad interior in my Avant for 80 euro
    Easy to change over interiors on them cars,don't be put of by the colour or fabric of seats
    Once the engine/timing belt/waterpump has been well mentained and there's no water ingress on CCM then it will keep going

Where did you get it from mate? The leather interior that is.
    CCM?

Where did you get it from mate? The leather interior that is.
    CCM?

I bought it of a lad on adverts,perfect nick just wanted it out of his shed
    Comfort control module on passenger floor,they suffer water ingress from the scuttle on front windscreen and through the pollen filter housing,the seals go on them,simple job to take out and replace
    Just watch for damp floor,or damp smell
    You can get ccms from scrapyard now though for 50 quid
    Easy plug and play so long as there's no corrosion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Very interested.

You're hardly ever in Dublin with it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interested for sure.
    I'm looking to buy something at the weekend with a similar checklist to your linked post.

Are you ever in Leinster? Or if not can I meet you at one of the galway EV chargers (don't ask).
    There's no phone number on the DD ad, maybe PM me?

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/diesel-05-volkswagen-passat/20974341

NDY3YzgyZmRiOGNjNjI4N2JmYTc5N2FhODJmYTQ0MDfrTUiZh0_wDQE69M3fDFjeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3ODQwMjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good spec late B5.5 Passat with test till 2020, €1k

Well worth the money if it checks out half decent

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Very interested.

You're hardly ever in Dublin with it!?

I used to be a bit but I've swapped insurances now so I won't be driving it any more. I'm away with work until the end of the week and will take more detailed photos then including the front end and interior
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Interested for sure.
    Are you ever in Leinster? Or if not can I meet you at one of the galway EV chargers (don't ask).
    There's no phone number on the DD ad, maybe PM me?

I'd have no problem meeting at a charging point and taking you to it, that way you can start it from cold aswel.

I never put my phone number on Donedeal any more, it makes selling stuff way less stressfull. I'll PM details when I get up to date photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Mine was a manual actually. For sale for 3 months. Struggled to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads, I'm in a similar situation to the previous poster in that I'm looking for a small automatic for around 3k for the missus for her first car on her own insurance. She's a named driver on my policy at the moment but will need her own car soon.

Question, what is the oldest a car can be on your first insurance, I've read both 10 years and 14 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lads, I'm in a similar situation to the previous poster in that I'm looking for a small automatic for around 3k for the missus for her first car on her own insurance. She's a named driver on my policy at the moment but will need her own car soon.

Question, what is the oldest a car can be on your first insurance, I've read both 10 years and 14 years old?

There are some that 15 or older they won't take on and a few 10 or older.

Just try as many as you can.

Just done it for the gf
    05 automatic 1.2
    Got insured through gmhd brokers
    Just over 2k for first time driver,no experience
    Give them a try,see can u insure the car before u buy it
    There is not many autos about for that money
    Most are overpriced trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

AudiAvant wrote:
    Just done it for the gf 05 automatic 1.2 Got insured through gmhd brokers Just over 2k for first time driver,no experience Give them a try,see can u insure the car before u buy it There is not many autos about for that money Most are overpriced trust me

Cheers pal, I never heard of that broker, I will give them look.

Yeah I agree, I've being keeping an eye out for the right car but haven't found it yet.

Cheers pal, I never heard of that broker, I will give them look.

Yeah I agree, I've being keeping an eye out for the right car but haven't found it yet.

No bother,I hadn't either till a few year ago
    Their In Kerry
    We're the best I could get on my car last 3 years by a long way
    1.0 or 1.2 is all your missus will get insured on
    They are hard to find for decent money
    I ended up getting one for 1200,few marks on body but thats not going to matter ha ha mechanically hundred percent

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9-tdi-avant-estate-car/20966895

MjY1YjVmZTNiMzFkYzI5NGIxMjkwMDBiNzA4Y2U1YmV-8nghJy0hFUraBaZyTvMOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3Mjg0NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

04 A6 avant, tested till October and taxed till April according to carsireland, €1900

Think this is a 7 seater. Ad has a very genuine air to it. A bit price but these are such good cars, miss mine dearly

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-suzuki-sx4-nct-10-20-tax-0419-1550/20966266

MmQxZTZiYmRjOGUxZmM4NjQ5ZDFjNTgzZGM3MDk3MDZrrGyl3qO02Bs9KHV0kcWbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3MjI5MDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till October 2020 and taxed till April, €1500

Could do worse I suppose..or could you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement