Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lens needs more Vaseline.

Also, isn’t it a bit pricey given that these are at Tiida levels of undesirability, and then you’re paying €570 to tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

To be fair its only about 50 dearer than a 1.6 on old tax but nearly 600 beans is an awful lot alright

09 just seems so new! But its ten years old I suppose

Tax kinda kills this too. Interesting little thing nonetheless
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-fiat-qubo-1-4-dynamic/20693487

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There are some that 15 or older they won't take on and a few 10 or older.

Just try as many as you can.
    Which few are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd imagine a Prius could be got for 3k these days ,auto,can't be hard insure for first timers, fantastic car,2nd gen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

colm_mcm wrote: »

Tax is a bit of a pain alright, but low mileage and for under 2 grand its absolutely spotless, if it didn't have the year on the reg, the neighbours would think you had paid big money for a 2 or 3 year old car. Like the good old days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'd imagine a Prius could be got for 3k these days ,auto,can't be hard insure for first timers, fantastic car,2nd gen

It's a fair point. But under 2k is one of the criteria here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

colm_mcm wrote: »

Is €570 tax on a 1.4 correct? I always thought 1.4s were around the €380 mark taxwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jiltloop wrote: »
    Is €570 tax on a 1.4 correct? I always thought 1.4s were around the €380 mark taxwise.

On the old cc system this is a car on the emission based system anything 2008 and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

On the old cc system this is a car on the emission based system anything 2008 and over.

Ah that makes sense, I was assuming that tax post 2008 is lower but there's some exceptions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/diesel-05-volkswagen-passat/20974341

NDY3YzgyZmRiOGNjNjI4N2JmYTc5N2FhODJmYTQ0MDfrTUiZh0_wDQE69M3fDFjeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3ODQwMjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good spec late B5.5 Passat with test till 2020, €1k

Well worth the money if it checks out half decent

Isn't it 100bhp? Regular tdi badge at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

bear1 wrote: »

Never mind the badge
    Avb is 100
    Awx/avf is 130

I had both
    I'd definitely have the 130 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They stopped doing the red T DI badging towards the end of the B5.5 run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'00 Celica 1.8
    NCT Jan '20
    Tax June '19
    No mention of mileage
    Could be worth a look at the price

Asking €685

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-1-20-tax-6-19-00-celica-very-clean/20914066

ELM327 wrote: »
    They stopped doing the red T DI badging towards the end of the B5.5 run

Anyone could stick a few badges on a car,it's like saying the timing belt is done because someone wrote it in tip ex on the engine,that was one of the best I heard

bear1 wrote: »

It has the wheels, interior and chrome that a Sport would have. I’d be confident enough it’s a 130

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

AudiAvant wrote: »
    Anyone could stick a few badges on a car,it's like saying the timing belt is done because some wrote it in tip ex on the engine,that was one of the best I heard

Went to look at a car one time where the owner had told me the timing belt was changed 5,000 kilometers or so previously. Looked at the timing belt cover and sure enough the current mileage, less 5k was wrote there in tipex. Brand new shiny tipex, and a timing belt cover that had been very recently wiped clean in one patch to write it on. :D

'04 Mondeo 1.8 petrol
    Estate
    NCT Dec '19
    Tax March '19
    102k miles

Asking €490

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-estate-nct-till-12-19-amp-taxed/20967920

• Advertisement

'01 323 1.3 petrol
    NCT June '19
    Tax end Feb
    89k miles

Asking €390

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-323/20965753

Mazda and Mondeo above are good finds

Gravelly wrote: »
    Went to look at a car one time where the owner had told me the timing belt was changed 5,000 kilometers or so previously. Looked at the timing belt cover and sure enough the current mileage, less 5k was wrote there in tipex. Brand new shiny tipex, and a timing belt cover that had been very recently wiped clean in one patch to write it on. :D

Ha
    I have seen it plenty of times myself
    Went to a dealer one time and he took serious offence to it,like you said shiny tip ex
    I says weres the paperwork and garage it was done in,Krusty the clown could have wrote that I says ha
    Needless to say I didn't buy that car

How hard is it to keep a fecking receipt for a rubber belt anyway!?

How hard is it to keep a fecking receipt for a rubber belt anyway!?

Clearly very hard been honest,the amount of cars I viewed and people didn't even know they had timing belts
    Look some people just drive cars till they die and buy another
    If your a car person you keep it right

'03 Civic 1.4
    NCT May '19
    156k miles
    Tidy looking car

Asking €500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-honda-civic-1-4-nct/19714614

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Had the same on a car I looked at. T/b 88k and clock had 94k again dubious as Tipex was lovely and clean. Took car for a drive. Sticker on drivers pillar shows last service done at 182k and next one due at 200k!!!. Never said a word to him about it in the hopes another potential buyer might click it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

racso1975 wrote: »
    Had the same on a car I looked at. T/b 88k and clock had 94k again dubious as Tipex was lovely and clean. Took car for a drive. Sticker on drivers pillar shows last service done at 182k and next one due at 200k!!!. Never said a word to him about it in the hopes another potential buyer might click it
    You should have said that you called the cops when you were out on the test drive and they will be along shortly.
    I hate pr1cks like that.
    I went to view a car in Limerick once after travelling from Cork. The car was brought down from Galway. I was promised a full service history with the car. Evident clocking and a fax receipt from the auction house in the UK was the service history.
    I went back to the hired driver (retired ex cop) and went off on one to him about the car being clocked. He played dumb and said he knew nothing about the car. This was untrue as he had a full sales speech reeled off to me within minutes of arrival. Anyway, he was only the driver for the day.
    I called the owner, told him that after wasting my day, lying to me and instructing an ex-Guard to lie to me, I called the Guards and gave them his details including the address on the ad and the reg of the car.
    The car was removed from DD and I didn't see it again. I was combing DD for quite some time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

cadaliac wrote: »
    You should have said that you called the cops when you were out on the test drive and they will be along shortly.
    I hate pr1cks like that.
    I went to view a car in Limerick once after travelling from Cork. The car was brought down from Galway. I was promised a full service history with the car. Evident clocking and a fax receipt from the auction house in the UK was the service history.
    I went back to the hired driver (retired ex cop) and went off on one to him about the car being clocked. He played dumb and said he knew nothing about the car. This was untrue as he had a full sales speech reeled off to me within minutes of arrival. Anyway, he was only the driver for the day.
    I called the owner, told him that after wasting my day, lying to me and instructing an ex-Guard to lie to me, I called the Guards and gave them his details including the address on the ad and the reg of the car.
    The car was removed from DD and I didn't see it again. I was combing DD for quite some time after that.

You'd be amazed (or maybe not!) at the amount of cars we see in the garage, especially UK imports, that the owners proudly bring in for the first service after buying, and we have to break the news to them that their "one owner, 34,000 miles, full service history" car is more along the lines of a Cat C write off with 200k miles and a folder full of photocopied service records!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/diesel-05-volkswagen-passat/20974341

NDY3YzgyZmRiOGNjNjI4N2JmYTc5N2FhODJmYTQ0MDfrTUiZh0_wDQE69M3fDFjeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3ODQwMjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good spec late B5.5 Passat with test till 2020, €1k

Well worth the money if it checks out half decent

How much does it cost to get the timing belt done on this car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement