Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

tanko wrote: »
    How much does it cost to get the timing belt done on this car?

300/400
    Get waterpump done as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Gravelly wrote: »
    You'd be amazed (or maybe not!) at the amount of cars we see in the garage, especially UK imports, that the owners proudly bring in for the first service after buying, and we have to break the news to them that their "one owner, 34,000 miles, full service history" car is more along the lines of a Cat C write off with 200k miles and a folder full of photocopied service records!
    Who doesn't do a full history check on a UK car though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Who doesn't do a full history check on a UK car though?

Loads of people who buy them after they’re brought over. I know one guy who brings in UK cars and sells them and he says that very few of his customers ask for the UK reg to do a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

AudiAvant wrote: »
    300/400

Are you including changing the waterpump in that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

300/400

Wrong answer!

It costs nothing because on a bangernomics car worth only 3 figures, you do not get the timing belt done :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

tanko wrote: »
    Are you including changing the waterpump in that price?

You can pop off the timing belt cover on them fairly handy and inspect the belt. Its held on with clips. Water pump will likely be in a similar condition to the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Colm. Pity the tax is so high on that quobo but then the asking price would be a lot higher!! Could do with something roomy to carry a mobility scooter and/or wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Colm. Pity the tax is so high on that quobo but then the asking price would be a lot higher!! Could do with something roomy to carry a mobility scooter and/or wheelchair.

I wouldnt think the tax is an outright killer on that car, it looks spotless if a bit ugly. Whats the average cheap tax? 280? its only almost 300 more for this for a car under 2k that looks immaculate. I feel sick passing up some of the recent offerings, like the mazda and the mondeo as Im driving a bangernomics right now although Id like a cleaner bangernomics. We cant get away from the tax, its only really a sickener on cars liek luxobarges > 2-2.2litre where it makes them almost completely unviable regardless of how clean they are.

unkel wrote: »
    Wrong answer!

It costs nothing because on a bangernomics car worth only 3 figures, you do not get the timing belt done :p

You could drive on and have no problem or wreck a perfectly good engine/car or spend 400 and know that its good to go for so many years, I got mine done going on 5 years ago and I consider it was a worthwhile investment then or , if the cambelt had snappedI could have ended up spending that and more for a replacement car where I was not as sure of the reliability, it depends on the car, and the extent of the cost, is it 350 quid or 2000. Next time time around I'd likely drive it on mysef at next due interval as by time its due I could have a replacement by then anyway, I know when it was done and have a receipt and the next person (assuming it passes its next NCT for me in the meantime) can get it done or drive it on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t think the 100hp came in 6 speed, also the 100hp had red D and red I on the B5.5 Passat I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Tax kinda kills this too. Interesting little thing nonetheless
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-fiat-qubo-1-4-dynamic/20693487

Have had this ad saved for a few days and been contemplating it but a little googling has thrown up some complainants, anybody on here have any experience with this engine that can shed any reassuring light?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    Wrong answer!

That depends on the car and how long you intended on keeping it. I'd get it done if the car was in good condition and I intended on keeping the car for a couple of years.

I get what you are saying about the value of the car and driving it on but an old belt can break at anytime and leave you stranded. I wouldn't like that happening to me on the way to work or in the middle of rush hour traffic.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Have had this ad saved for a few days and been contemplating it but a little googling has thrown up some complainants, anybody on here have any experience with this engine that can shed any reassuring light?

€570 motortax is crazy on a 1.4 engine. You can get some 1.8 petrol cars from that era that costs the same or less to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-executive-new-nct-mint/20923782?campaign=3

M2Q1NjM3MjNmN2FkZDc0NTk0M2Q1MGUwMTQ2N2NjODJy5kDAw77gSwOGlEbW4yy_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTczOTUwMjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cheap tax 08 Civic with "new NCT" till September 19 for €2k

Ad is a bit odd

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    €570 motortax is crazy on a 1.4 engine. You can get some 1.8 petrol cars from that era that costs the same or less to tax.
    But would they be that clean looking? and with low mileage? was that the poster that enquired about it suiting space for a mobility scooter too? if it measures up internally for dimensions, then it could be ideal and maybe they might be entitled to not pay that tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-executive-new-nct-mint/20923782?campaign=3

M2Q1NjM3MjNmN2FkZDc0NTk0M2Q1MGUwMTQ2N2NjODJy5kDAw77gSwOGlEbW4yy_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTczOTUwMjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Ad is a bit odd

"Thanks for looking, the power of dreams most definitely" :confused:

He has a Peugeot van and an Octavia up as well. I'd say he's a bit of a "wheeler dealer boss".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Tbh tax isn't a concern for me at all, just another.bill and joy of car ownership. We're looking for something with space, comfortable and reliable. Estates were the main criteria but this popped up in the same search but haven't heard nor seen much about them

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Tbh tax isn't a concern for me at all, just another.bill and joy of car ownership. We're looking for something with space, comfortable and reliable. Estates were the main criteria but this popped up in the same search but haven't heard nor seen much about them

They are basically a van with rear seats and windows fitted. Not very refined and I would say not exactly very spacious either.

ODJkNWM1ZTFmYzg3ZDE4Y2MxMGUzM2U5NjM0OTM4NmZXo_kVzvg2Prcdy6tXxABOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY1NzgzMjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Boot space is okay. Tall but not very deep

NGFjYmU1ZDNlNzY4ZmY0MzljNzMwYjEzNmQ1Yjg4MjApZjeb5W-yzIeftf0XhcA1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTIyNDg0MzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

You would probably be better off with an estate of some description. Pretty much anything Passat-sized will be nicer to drive, roomier and no more expensive to tax. €2k will get you a lot too

Ad is a bit odd

All of those 1.8 saloons were €570 to tax

All of those 1.8 saloons were €570 to tax

The conveniently obscured reg is a bit dodge then isn’t it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Boot space is okay. Tall but not very deep

The most brilliant think about those is that you don't have to fold the buggy at all. Open the boot, put the buggy in, close the boot. If of course you're in that part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@rise...
    Won't be chasing the quobo as wife would not drive it but would be very suitable I imagine. To avail of no tax while a disabled driver you need to have a. Primary medical certificate which is easier said than done..basically if you can walk at all you won't get.
    And if you qualify you would probably be buying new as I think vrt is exempt.

1874 wrote: »
    But would they be that clean looking? and with low mileage? was that the poster that enquired about it suiting space for a mobility scooter too? if it measures up internally for dimensions, then it could be ideal and maybe they might be entitled to not pay that tax?

I seen a civic the other day for the same money. Great condition, 70k miles with a 140bhp 1.8 I vtec engine.

Fair enough on the mobility front but I don't think it will be tax exempt. As another poster said I think that only applies to new cars

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don’t think the 100hp came in 6 speed, also the 100hp had red D and red I on the B5.5 Passat I think.

5 speed on 100
    5 speed on the awx engine 130
    6 speed on the avf,slightly bigger clutch and more torque map 130

I have the 5 speed awx
    Always found the 5 speed box give less bother than the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

W123-80's wrote: »
    '00 Celica 1.8
    NCT Jan '20
    Tax June '19
    No mention of mileage
    Could be worth a look at the price

Asking €685

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-1-20-tax-6-19-00-celica-very-clean/20914066

That one is up about a week now. Surprised it actually hasn't sold

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109303854&postcount=7140

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had been seriously thinking about a Qubo as my next car after having had a Fiat 500. A dealer in Carlow had one that I was going to go see but such was the negativity from everyone I knew, including the missus that I gave up on the idea. I'd have loved it though. Sure it's not refined but it would have been practical with our toddler. Ended up getting a Nissan Note in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'01 Corolla 1.6 Auto
    NCT July '19
    Tax June '19
    160k miles

Asking €650

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/20975284

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads what are better cars, Honda Insight or Civic Hybrid?

I know both these cars have CVT transmissions, what are they like cars to drive? Does the engine roar compared to a standard automatic or manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lads what are better cars, Honda Insight or Civic Hybrid?

I know both these cars have CVT transmissions, what are they like cars to drive? Does the engine roar compared to a standard automatic or manual?

They are mechanically very similar. Civic does not scream hybrid tough...

If the body shape of a saloon, nor lack of foldable rear seats does not bother you - take the Civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

5 speed on 100
    5 speed on the awx engine 130
    6 speed on the avf,slightly bigger clutch and more torque map 130

I have the 5 speed awx
    Always found the 5 speed box give less bother than the 6
    I've had my fair share of mk4 golfs and one b5.5 passat

The early 6 speed 'boxes on both the mk4 golf and b5 passat gave a lot of bother, as did the ARL engines in the golf.

I'd presume though anything still on the road 15+ years later is going to be one of the problem free examples.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement