Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

Lads what are better cars, Honda Insight or Civic Hybrid?

I know both these cars have CVT transmissions, what are they like cars to drive? Does the engine roar compared to a standard automatic or manual?

They wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding but autos are enjoyable to drive
    I got a Nissan Micra auto for the gf
    It won't go quick enough for her to do any harm haha
    Have a look at the Nissan Micra's or march's too

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've had my fair share of mk4 golfs and one b5.5 passat

The early 6 speed 'boxes on both the mk4 golf and b5 passat gave a lot of bother, as did the ARL engines in the golf.

I'd presume though anything still on the road 15+ years later is going to be one of the problem free examples.

Ye I agree with you
    The bearings usually go in them
    My 5 speed is still smooth at nearly 400kms but always is temperamental when cold
    1st to 2nd is always notchy if you don't do it slowly
    Like foreplay with the woman haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

grogi wrote:
    They are mechanically very similar. Civic does not scream hybrid tough...

Are CVTs noisy to drive though compared to standard automatic?

To be honest the one I got isn't that noisy,they get slightly louder if your doing 120 on motorway
    I didn't find them noisy
    But I'm use to driving trucks/buses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

AudiAvant wrote:
    To be honest the one I got isn't that noisy,they get slightly louder if your doing 120 on motorway I didn't find them noisy But I'm use to driving trucks/buses

Do you find it noisy when you accelerate quickly in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No. Many people aren't fond of the constant pitch of the engine though, especially at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Every car will be noisy if you want to accelerate with maximum available power (which is around maximum rpms). The most common misconception is that comes from people driving manuals - they boot it and it doesn't get loud. But any decent automatic will kick-down and accelerate much faster as a result.

Don't boot an automatic it to the metal, it will stay in gear/don't rev too much - and keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kellford

AudiAvant wrote: »
    5 speed on 100
    5 speed on the awx engine 130
    6 speed on the avf,slightly bigger clutch and more torque map 130

I have the 5 speed awx
    Always found the 5 speed box give less bother than the 6

i must be lucky, coming up on 13 years with an '01 6 speed 130bhp, 284mls on clock,

Kellford wrote: »
    i must be lucky, coming up on 13 years with an '01 6 speed 130bhp, 284mls on clock,

You could be just a good driver
    I think personally alot of it is down to the driver
    Only my own opinion
    Have been a passenger in cars and watched people hacking through gears and crunching like fu**
    Then blame the machine when it breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've had my fair share of mk4 golfs and one b5.5 passat

The early 6 speed 'boxes on both the mk4 golf and b5 passat gave a lot of bother, as did the ARL engines in the golf.

I'd presume though anything still on the road 15+ years later is going to be one of the problem free examples.

Are the ARLs the 150 bhp examples, I've read the 150s were bothersome

• Advertisement

I never felt I had to accelerate quickly,like said it will kick down and rpm will make it get slighter louder
    You won't drive a auto like manual
    It's a more relaxed and chilled experience

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My auld lad has a 2011 Insight, the CVT box in it isn't too bad, it's not noticeably lurchy or noisy. They're not nippy or anything, they're a bit of a barge but enough to handle motorway driving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

AudiAvant wrote: »
    Ye I agree with you
    The bearings usually go in them
    My 5 speed is still smooth at nearly 400kms but always is temperamental when cold
    1st to 2nd is always notchy if you don't do it slowly
    Like foreplay with the woman haha
    I drive a 1.8T b5.5, the things which made the most difference to gear change with the best first
    1. slick 50 gearbox additive
    2. Gear oil change
    3. PTFE grease on the gearstick pivot.

I drive a 1.8T b5.5, the things which made the most difference to gear change with the best first
    1. slick 50 gearbox additive
    2. Gear oil change
    3. PTFE grease on the gearstick pivot.

I must do these few bits soon
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Defintlitely interested. I'm in Galway too. Doing more mileage with work so thinking of changing my accord for a diesel. What sort of mpg were you getting? Any history on the clutch / dmf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

kqcregg wrote: »
    Defintlitely interested. I'm in Galway too. Doing more mileage with work so thinking of changing my accord for a diesel. What sort of mpg were you getting? Any history on the clutch / dmf?

To be honest, that's exactly what I want, just with leather seats!
    My 04 a3 scrubs up well but its worth nothing really. Would be lucky to get a bag of sand.
    I'd love to replace it with something like that around that price, for the extra room if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9-tdi-avant-estate-car/20966895

MjY1YjVmZTNiMzFkYzI5NGIxMjkwMDBiNzA4Y2U1YmV-8nghJy0hFUraBaZyTvMOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc3Mjg0NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

04 A6 avant, tested till October and taxed till April according to carsireland, €1900

Think this is a 7 seater. Ad has a very genuine air to it. A bit price but these are such good cars, miss mine dearly

Decided to go take a look at this did a cartell report and it was imported from the uk in 2016 but looking at the milage history from the UK its a bit strange 1 year only 79 miles (started off doing nearly 20,000 miles a year and towards the end less then 10k)
    UK reg is is DA54NLO if anyone cares to take a look here https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and share their thoughts
    (also by the looks of it one owner for all its time in the UK)

Decided to go take a look at this did a cartell report and it was imported from the uk in 2016 but looking at the milage history from the UK its a bit strange 1 year only 79 miles (started off doing nearly 20,000 miles a year and towards the end less then 10k)
    UK reg is is DA54NLO if anyone cares to take a look here https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and share their thoughts

Mine is also an import
    Watch for rot from the inside of the front wings
    Did you view it?
    See the service history?
    Check for knocks in front wheels,push against the wheel hard at the top to see if control arms are gone
    Could have seized pinch bolts
    Make sure t belt and water pump done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Well that would tally with what the advert says in that the owner has had it coming up 3 years, if it was imported early 2016.
    Maybe it was off the road for a year for some reason?
    I actually messaged the owner too, and he seems straight up, in so much as you can ascertain in a few emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-subaru-legacy-2-0-petrol-4wd-manual/20998737

ZDQzODZlZDkzOTc0OGM5N2M5ZmZhMTc3ZTlhODFmMzfE8zWxrcz9hl9141Uk2ukVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc5OTM1NDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Years test, tax till April, €600

Brand new Donedeal account, I'd tread carefully but a phone call should be telling enough

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/classic-bmw-523i/21002898

N2RjNzZjODczMTc1MjNiMWVkNGQzYWRlNjFkZmQ1NjhcFRpAnJ1IImcs2J3IRvsNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgwMjk5MDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not exactly a bargain but IMO this has all the hallmarks of an investment buy

523i manual, test till Dec 19, €895. Nice and original, when did you last see an E34 this clean and this cheap? E39 will only go the same way

terrydel wrote: »
    Well that would tally with what the advert says in that the owner has had it coming up 3 years, if it was imported early 2016.
    Maybe it was off the road for a year for some reason?
    I actually messaged the owner too, and he seems straight up, in so much as you can ascertain in a few emails.

Had a look at it there no real service history except tippex on the engine saying the oil was changed ect asked about the timing belt he said it was done at 90k miles and it’s not due for another 100k miles I thought they were due ever 60k miles so I reckon it’s over due (also it was at 90k in 2011-2012 so it must be over due on age alone)
    Anyways I didn’t buy it if anyone is interested and wants the cartell report feel free to pm me

Nothing at all would concern me about the MOT history on that car. In fact its very good, better than a lot of newer cars. Anything fails or advisories are minor, nothing that would suggest any rust issues (a problem on those A6s). It obviously was off the road for a year between 08-09, for any number reasons, but it was ten years ago, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the why.

If that car was in Dublin I'd have bought it. It looks lovely for the money

Had a look at it there no real service history except tippex on the engine saying the oil was changed ect asked about the timing belt he said it was done at 90k miles and it’s not due for another 100k miles I thought they were due ever 60k miles so I reckon it’s over due (also it was at 90k in 2011-2012 so it must be over due on age alone)
    Anyways I didn’t buy it if anyone is interested and wants the cartell report feel free to pm me

Ye old belt so
    Can't beat the owl tippex
    Wouldn't touch it for that money

Ah lads, the tone of the ad alone says its a good one. Might be a bit expensive for sure but I highly doubt the seller is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Did you drive it keyboard_car? What was it like for rust too? If you don't mine me asking

Ah lads, the tone of the ad alone says its a good one. Might be a bit expensive for sure but I highly doubt the seller is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Did you drive it keyboard_car? What was it like for rust too? If you don't mine me asking

Yeah I took it for a spin drive fine the gear stick felt a bit vague but the clutch was engaging nicely and the pedal was light
    The engine sounded fine and felt smooth
    A bit of a wobble when braking but nothing too bad
    The body was fine for rust nothing too bad just a small bit in the edges of the doors. but each panel had obvious marks of touch up paint (but that doesn’t really bother me)
    The passenger door had to be closed not to hard and also not to softly otherwise the center console would alert you the door was still open
    The center console also reported 50mpg over the last 57 hours of driving
    He said his lowest price was 1600 so I didn’t go for it because I’d have to put a timing belt into it
    Also it has a parrot Bluetooth thing hooked into the radio so someone might like that

My A6 used to do the very same thing with the passenger door.

Car doesn't sound too bad all in, before long it'll probably go under the 1500 mark.

Yeah I took it for a spin drive fine the gear stick felt a bit vague but the clutch was engaging nicely and the pedal was light
    The engine sounded fine and felt smooth
    A bit of a wobble when braking but nothing too bad
    The body was fine for rust nothing too bad just a small bit in the edges of the doors. but each panel had obvious marks of touch up paint (but that doesn’t really bother me)
    The passenger door had to be closed not to hard and also not to softly otherwise the center console would alert you the door was still open
    The center console also reported 50mpg over the last 57 hours of driving
    He said his lowest price was 1600 so I didn’t go for it because I’d have to put a timing belt into it
    Also it has a parrot Bluetooth thing hooked into the radio so someone might like that

Mine wobbled when it had obvious grooves in the front brake discs or when a control arm has failed and is worn out
    Passenger door same as mine
    Microswitch in the lock failing,failed on my driver's door,no courtesy lights on that side
    50/55 mpg same as mine
    My doors have the leading edge rust/bubbles too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Funny what the bangernomics mindset can do to you, I was almost disappointed this evening that my current banger sailed through another NCT meaning I have no excuse to buy this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-2-0-lpt/20092962

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/classic-bmw-523i/21002898

N2RjNzZjODczMTc1MjNiMWVkNGQzYWRlNjFkZmQ1NjhcFRpAnJ1IImcs2J3IRvsNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgwMjk5MDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not exactly a bargain but IMO this has all the hallmarks of an investment buy

523i manual, test till Dec 19, €895. Nice and original, when did you last see an E34 this clean and this cheap? E39 will only go the same way

If I had more storage (and hadn't a wedding coming up) I'd have that in a heartbeat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement