Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

This is my own car here I bought as a stop gap, handy car if someone is stuck, asking 300 but will take a good offer. Newish front tyres, plugs and one coil. Slipping clutch but drives fine if you take it handy, few knocks from suspension too so would need work for NCT. NCT end of March and Tax until end of April.

NGE0ZjBlZTEzNGVjMTY5ZGM5ZmUzOTEwZGJlNDEwOWWY3GQ_4uhtjKfrbq5Do9w1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgyMjI0MzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-nissan-primera-nct-and-tax/21028102

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

colm_mcm wrote: »

Cup holder alone would probably get €100. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Damage doesn't look too bad, anyone any idea how much that engineer report would be to get.

With tax til end of November thats worth more than they are looking for

Unless the engineers report will cost more than they are looking for of course.

I can't say what you would expect to pay but doubtful it would be too cheap. A quick google search shows that someone was quoted €400 in 2012 as per peoplesrepublicofcork forum but maybe it depends on what needs to be checked. I wonder does it only need that engineers report if is to be insured with the insurance company that declared it a cat d write off? Its not like there is a centralised database is kept in Rep. of Ireland.

It comes across as a bit stupid for the seller to say the car is absolutely perfect condition when clearly it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cup holder alone would probably get €100. :)

Thought that alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hi all, I'm a big fan of Bangernomics here, as I'm used to small, cheap running and older cars.

I'm wondering if I can lean on your wisdom and knowledge for the current pickle I'm in..?

So I'm without a car, through the rust getting to my last banger. I never thought I'd be at this stage but I'm looking at a newly NCT'd 2001 Yaris... thankfully I've few notions left. Ad is here:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris/20913256

I haven't called yet as I just spotted it, but I wonder would anyone of ye have any major points to check out and look out for when/if I go to look at it?

Really not great at the costing of these things but with a new NCT and no tax, is 600 fair? Don't like to lowball anyone and i am stuck so...

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm mightily stuck, and so grateful of all opinions or pointers,
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

[QUOTE=johndaman66;109398614]Unless the engineers report will cost more than they are looking for of course.

I can't say what you would expect to pay but doubtful it would be too cheap. A quick google search shows that someone was quoted €400 in 2012 as per peoplesrepublicofcork forum but maybe it depends on what needs to be checked. I wonder does it only need that engineers report if is to be insured with the insurance company that declared it a cat d write off? Its not like there is a centralised database is kept in Rep. of Ireland.

It comes across as a bit stupid for the seller to say the car is absolutely perfect condition when clearly it is not.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine it will, 5 years ago I paid for an engineers report and I was there while he did the check. He had to verify a jeep conversion from passenger to commercial. It was done in about half an hour and cost about 130 euro.

He was laughing telling me what he was doing as he went through some of the list, counting seats, windows, doors etc. But as he said it's all paper work that has to be checked and signed off.

I'd imagine any engineer is going to have to seriously scrutinise any vehicle that's already been written off, and he'd be a fool not to charge accordingly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

lucalux wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a big fan of Bangernomics here, as I'm used to small, cheap running and older cars.

I'm wondering if I can lean on your wisdom and knowledge for the current pickle I'm in..?

So I'm without a car, through the rust getting to my last banger. I never thought I'd be at this stage but I'm looking at a newly NCT'd 2001 Yaris... thankfully I've few notions left. Ad is here:

I haven't called yet as I just spotted it, but I wonder would anyone of ye have any major points to check out and look out for when/if I go to look at it?

Really not great at the costing of these things but with a new NCT and no tax, is 600 fair? Don't like to lowball anyone and i am stuck so...

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm mightily stuck, and so grateful of all opinions or pointers,
    L
    If the insurance is not an issue for you I don’t really see how you could go too far wrong. €500 would probably get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Belfast wrote: »
    Skoda Superb 1.8T (please read ad)
    2 hours 50 views South County, Dublin
    €400
    NjUyZjMwMWM2YWJhOTNhNGQ4MDQ1MTgzOTJkMWI5NzIlPGKhfSLvcNwoUxy9r-yBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY3NTkyNjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    MzBkNTdlOGYyN2M4MWEyMzZjZmVjNmUxZGI5ZDQ1MzUEbYCpbqPvYiIaqxkzL0KAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTI4MTQ4NjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2003 Skoda Superb Comfort 1.8 T
    Mileage 115,500 mi
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Transmission Manual
    Body Type Saloon
    Engine Size 1.8 litre
    Road Tax €636
    NCT Expiry Aug 2019
    Previous Owners 5
    Country of Reg. Ireland
    Full service history from new, genuine mileage, two keys, passed NCT on 25.10.2018, timing belt and water pump done at 108000 at the main skoda dealer, have a receipt to prove, many other parts replaced. TAXed to the end of November. Excellent condition, in every day use and it looks and drives very very well. Any inspection more than welcome. Light damage as can be seen from the photos. The car has been declared a category c write off so just need an engineer report to be brought back to the road. As I said the car is absolutely perfect condition and was in use up until now; I bought a new car today so don't want this one to stay with no use. Open to reasonable offers. May swap for something not a car obviously :)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-1-8t-please-read-ad/20282542

Can't see the relevance of the car here.
    You can't drive it away.
    And if reports are correct then you need to spend double that for the report and then watch the insurance companies rape you with the premium..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

bear1 wrote: »
    Can't see the relevance of the car here.
    You can't drive it away.
    And if reports are correct then you need to spend double that for the report and then watch the insurance companies rape you with the premium..

And aside from all that, it's a 16 year old Skoda. You'd really want to be getting it for free or very close to it. It's about as desirable as a dog turd. Too expensive to run to be cheap transport, and has very little else going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

lucalux wrote: »

L

Bulletproof car.

I’ve got 3 in the fleet, mother, myself and housemates.

Boring, reliable motoring. Check exhaust for corrosion , should knock about €50 off.

My own his thermostat issue which only manifests itself in traffic after long motorway drives. Coolant light flashes and it overheats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Belfast wrote: »
    Skoda Superb 1.8T (please read ad)
    2 hours 50 views South County, Dublin
    €400
    NjUyZjMwMWM2YWJhOTNhNGQ4MDQ1MTgzOTJkMWI5NzIlPGKhfSLvcNwoUxy9r-yBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY3NTkyNjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    MzBkNTdlOGYyN2M4MWEyMzZjZmVjNmUxZGI5ZDQ1MzUEbYCpbqPvYiIaqxkzL0KAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTI4MTQ4NjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2003 Skoda Superb Comfort 1.8 T
    Mileage 115,500 mi
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Transmission Manual
    Body Type Saloon
    Engine Size 1.8 litre
    Road Tax €636
    NCT Expiry Aug 2019
    Previous Owners 5
    Country of Reg. Ireland
    Full service history from new, genuine mileage, two keys, passed NCT on 25.10.2018, timing belt and water pump done at 108000 at the main skoda dealer, have a receipt to prove, many other parts replaced. TAXed to the end of November. Excellent condition, in every day use and it looks and drives very very well. Any inspection more than welcome. Light damage as can be seen from the photos. The car has been declared a category c write off so just need an engineer report to be brought back to the road. As I said the car is absolutely perfect condition and was in use up until now; I bought a new car today so don't want this one to stay with no use. Open to reasonable offers. May swap for something not a car obviously :)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-1-8t-please-read-ad/20282542

Surely this is a fixer upper? Especially being cat c and repairs clearly not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surely this is a fixer upper? Especially being cat c and repairs clearly not done.

You'd buy the car. Sell the engine, box and loom to the VAG scene as a complete conversion for €500 and weigh the rest in as scrap and make a handy €200 profit there.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You'd buy the car. Sell the engine, box and loom to the VAG scene as a complete conversion for €500 and weigh the rest in as scrap and make a handy €200 profit there.

Your definition of "handy" is very different to mine!

Drive to car
    Do deal
    Tow car home
    Remove engine
    Put engine on Donedeal
    Get 7 million phonecalls from people asking stupid questions, trying to scam you, or offering 10% of the advertised price
    Waste many hours of your life meeting wastrels until engine is sold
    Arrange for body to be collected by scrapper, and waste an entire Saturday waiting for it to be picked up

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Scrap value of shell €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

Your optimistic anyway
    Having dismantled and scraped a few cars myself
    You won't get anywhere near that money for the parts
    Like said aswell
    Done deal and adverts is full of timewaisters that can't tell their arse from their elbow
    I have loads of parts for sale at the minute for nothing prices and can't get a buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

AudiAvant wrote: »
    Your optimistic anyway
    Like said aswell
    Done deal and adverts is full of timewaisters that can't tell their arse from their elbow
    I have loads of parts for sale at the minute for nothing prices and can't get a buyer

plus the weeks it will take to sell, and every scrouge ball will be coming out of the woodwork looking for hose clamps and tyre valve caps, breaking your balls. not worth the hassle at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Your optimistic anyway
    Like said aswell

Complete 1.8T conversions will sell for €500 all day every day on Autostadt and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AudiAvant

Complete 1.8T conversions will sell for €500 all day every day on Autostadt and the likes.

Must check that out,I have a load of crap in the shed that needs shifting,I'm sitting on a small fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-ford-tourneo-connect-90-ps-nct-10-19-8-seater/21013078

MzRjOGZkYTNlYjIwODU1MjMwZGY4NWY2ZjQ1NzJhYmZq6GwejYWzahvFEOxahiLZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgxMTg2MTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

08 Toureno 8 seater, NCT till October 19, €1750

I don't know why, but I kind of like this. Looks fairly clean too

I would love to grab that solely for the look on her face when I park up in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Can't understand why others aren't seeing this. If you don't have the full equipment to handle transporting shells then forget about it. Scrap isn't necessarily just the weight of the car but also the remaining VIR from the car (if one really wants to scrape the pennies out of the car), cat, battery and wheels.

That and forums are much different to sell stuff on than the likes of donkeydeal as most members want parts for the same marque/are known to other members and would be ousted for pulling fast ones

Would I be right in saying anything you've broken for parts you haven't been left out of pocket? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Your optimistic anyway
    Like said aswell

I have an A4 Avant sitting idle since last summer. Really not worth the hassle of breaking and dealing with all the shíte in doing so. I'll probably just pull parts off it when I need them.

Can't understand why others aren't seeing this. If you don't have the full equipment to handle transporting shells then forget about it. Scrap isn't necessarily just the weight of the car but also the remaining VIR from the car (if one really wants to scrape the pennies out of the car), cat, battery and wheels.

That and forums are much different to sell stuff on than the likes of donkeydeal as most members want parts for the same marque/are known to other members and would be ousted for pulling fast ones

Would I be right in saying anything you've broken for parts you haven't been left out of pocket? ;)

My argument wasn't that it wouldn't be profitable, if by profitable you mean that you end up with more money in your pocket afterwards than you had at the start, my argument was that it simply wouldn't be "handy"

The collection of the car, removal of the engine and ancillaries, answering calls to buyers, meeting potential buyers, selling them, dropping the shell for weighing in etc. would, off the top of my head, take at least 20-30 hours of one's time. For a potential profit of €200. I simply value my free time considerably more than €6-€10 per hour (not counting the cost of diesel, phone, placing the ad, wear and tear on car and trailer etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-opel-corsa-1-2/21045340

Nice clean looking Corsa.

NCT 7-19
    Tax 4-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thoughts?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9tdi-130bhp/21035582

Mileage is highish but not out of the ordinary for the age.
    Automatic - anything to be concerned with on these
    5 months tax. Years nct.
    Pictures are a bit odd to me, either low quality or filtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That’s nice, it’s the final edition which usually has a few nice goodies. Auto box wouldn’t be my first choice though (multitronic) especially with those miles. Worth a call though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That’s nice, it’s the final edition which usually has a few nice goodies. Auto box wouldn’t be my first choice though (multitronic) especially with those miles. Worth a call though!

Aye, I just prefer manual regardless, old school!
    A big estate is gonna be my second bangernomics purchase after the corolla from here :P

The multitronic is fine if it's serviced properly. If you do buy it, get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gravelly wrote: »
    The multitronic is fine if it's serviced properly. If you do buy it, get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Can you recommend someone? Might be PM...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement