Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Would the insurance be tasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel 147 with low mileage, leather interior and NCT till March 18 asking ?1,650

YWFkNzRjZDVlMWM5NTQzZmM0MjM5NmI1YmMwZTg1YzQqakDCvIYX8OcvdWQ8TilTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDQ2OTQ4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-147-1-9-jtd-lusso-150bhp/15620206

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

bazz26 wrote:
    Diesel 147 with low mileage, leather interior and NCT till March 18 asking ?1,650

Are Alfas still unreliable or what's the craic with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Are Alfas still unreliable or what's the craic with them?

As reliable as a chocolate teapot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jobs OXO wrote: »

In other words you're an expert...
    Don't listen to such comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Jobs OXO wrote: »

Ah, an expert from the local pub. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

He is not telling porkies re being economical, they really are. And they are fast from zero to 60 because they are light. Problem is, they run out of breath at around 100km/h. A perfect car for city driving, easy to park. We own a Smart Roadster, which is way cooler looking than this and slightly faster than this. The only thing I would ask seller is if an engine has ever been rebuilt. These engines tend to go between 50k to 80k miles (usually around 60k). The one on ours went at just 79k miles. But since roadster is a great fun car we paid for full rebuild, so its like new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-just-tested/15185205

YTg2MjA4MDkxMWQ5ZGYzNGNlZGQ2MDk5M2EwYTJhYWRXedv9QHhJlvfegajlUNUkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MjA0NzA2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Octavia
    One owner
    New tyres and belts
    NcT 01/18

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

pcardin wrote: »
    He is not telling porkies re being economical, they really are. And they are fast from zero to 60 because they are light. Problem is, they run out of breath at around 100km/h. A perfect car for city driving, easy to park. We own a Smart Roadster, which is way cooler looking than this and slightly faster than this. The only thing I would ask seller is if an engine has ever been rebuilt. These engines tend to go between 50k to 80k miles (usually around 60k). The one on ours went at just 79k miles. But since roadster is a great fun car we paid for full rebuild, so its like new again.

Haha! I'd say I'd walk faster than that cars 0-60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Don't know if I'd pay near €1200 for that Octavia tbh, pretty high miles and tatty bodywork and must have been in disrepair to some extent with the NCT allowed to be 6 months out.

On the other hand, new test, serviced, belted etc, you'd want it for €6-700 tops imo.

Edit: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2003/15548028

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bear1 wrote: »
    In other words you're an expert...
    Don't listen to such comments.

What is wrong with what was said though? Those alfas are soft mechanically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Alfa's are as reliable as most cars once they receive the proper maintenance. I had an 8 year old 156 petrol with 180k miles when I got rid. Ran perfectly because it was maintained.

The issue is proper maintenance on them is expensive and a lot of people scrimp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Alfa's are as reliable as most cars once they receive the proper maintenance. I had an 8 year old 156 petrol with 180k miles when I got rid. Ran perfectly because it was maintained.

The issue is proper maintenance on them is expensive and a lot of people scrimp on it.

people seem to use the maintenance argument as an excuse when defending alfas. They need a lot of pampering outside of regular maintenance and even at that they still tend to go wrong. To me it seems to be more down to poor design/quality rather than maintenance issues.

Don't get me wrong they are nice cars it's just they are soft.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What is wrong with what was said though? Those alfas are soft mechanically.

Judging the entire range of a marque as unreliable when the poster doesn't offer any hint of a reason why they believe so is just plain stupid.
    I've had two and both ran well into their quarter million miles. Yes one I had to replace the engine cause I cracked the sump but the only thing I would class as soft are the suspensions.
    I had a bad experience with a honda but wouldn't label the entire brand as unreliable due to it.
    And a lot of it does come down to maintenance.
    A jtd 147 comes up for sale so you'd think that if you are to label that car as unreliable then maybe offer the reasons as to why that particular car is unreliable.
    There is a certain animosity to anything Alfa or fiat on this forum sometimes simply because its an Alfa or fiat.
    I'll leave it at that or this thread will just go downhill.

And a lot of it does come down to maintenance.

And thus completes the circle of that arguement.

Speaking of dodgy Octavias, i would love one of these.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-vrs/15624799

Or a tidy looking diesel one asking €850
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia/15604064

Speaking of dodgy Octavias, i would love one of these.

I remember these going for 10k not so long ago, great car for the money if it's in good working order.

I would love one of the new models, I was considering the pcp finance a while ago but didn't go through with it

They are a mean looking car with those wheels, spoiler etc. Were the green callipers a factory option or a trend that just took off afterwards?

And thus completes the circle of that arguement.

In which sense? If a car isn't properly maintained then how do you expect it to be reliable?
    That's my point.

I've never owned or driven an Alfa but I've came across a few people who own Alfas who say you'll never drive anything else after owning and driving one.

I would agree they are very nice looking cars especially inside but are they that much better to drive than other cars or what's the attraction with them especially with the reliability issue tag they seem to carry?

• Advertisement

In which sense? If a car isn't properly maintained then how do you expect it to be reliable?
    That's my point.

Some cars just seem to need more maintenance than others to stay reliable.

There's also the difference between "maintenance" and "failures". Like needing a gearbox rebuild/ replacement at 250k kms, that's a component failure, not a maintenance item, for example and no amount of maintenance will prevent it from happening.

They are a mean looking car with those wheels, spoiler etc. Were the green callipers a factory option or a trend that just took off afterwards?

Green calipers for petrol and red calipers for diesel models AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On the caliper issue my green ones are gone to sh1t.

Anyone any ideas of a fix or even where to get suitable paint.
    2006 vRS

Some cars just seem to need more maintenance than others to stay reliable.

There's also the difference between "maintenance" and "failures". Like needing a gearbox rebuild/ replacement at 250k kms, that's a component failure, not a maintenance item, for example and no amount of maintenance will prevent it from happening.

I agree. I simply think it's unfair to tarnish an entire brand simply out of the blue without giving sort of reason why.
    It's like me saying Mercedes are a terrible brand and then leaving it at that.
    The jtd is a well regarded engine which is used in quite a few cars which is what that 147 has.
    So to answer the posters question re alfas.
    Get a good one which has been looked after and they can be a joy to own.
    As I said I had 2 156s and both ran well. Major flaw is the suspension which are not good for the weight of the engine but this is more for the 2.4 than the 1.9
    Make sure the belts and pump have been done or else factor it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hammerite do a green that works.

Edit: oops. As above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Patww79 wrote: »
    I used a Hammerite I got in Halfords and then lacquer over the top. Lasted very well until the car went. Just lots of cleaning and degreasing and masking, or take them off the car first. I prefer to do the latter, much less faff.

I'll have to look into halfords so.. Thanks;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

bazz26 wrote: »

YWFkNzRjZDVlMWM5NTQzZmM0MjM5NmI1YmMwZTg1YzQqakDCvIYX8OcvdWQ8TilTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDQ2OTQ4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-147-1-9-jtd-lusso-150bhp/15620206

That's very tempting, wonder if I could persuade the missus to give up her Toyota for it (so I can drive it at the weekends).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2002-nct-1-18-petrol-1-4/15224437

€650 for this Corolla. I see the seller has an Audi estate for near enough bangernomics money too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement