Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Last one was an 07 Octavia DSG 1.9

Oh, oh, oh, do me, do me!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Petrol or diesel?
    Hatch or saloon?
    Engine size etc

Mostly b and a road driving, can be a thirsty drive every day in a petrol, so maybe a smaller diesel engine, or a frugal petrol.

I don't want to admit it, but a Corolla is probably ideal, but cronically dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'02 Avensis Diesel
    NCT Nov '19
    10 days tax!
    212k miles

Asking €399

Its either for ya or its not!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-avensis-d4d-nct-11-2019/21091794

'08 Avensis Diesel
    NCT March '20
    197k kms
    0 previous owners (Does that suggest UK import?)
    Is this a low tax model?

Looks clean
    Asking €1,995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-d4d-2008-new-nct-low-kms/21091740

• Advertisement

'06 Superb 1.9 TDi
    NCT Sept '19
    Tax end March
    130k miles

Askine €1,990

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-9-tdiexpression-modelnct-11-19/21090983

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

W123-80's wrote: »
    '08 Avensis Diesel
    NCT March '20
    197k kms
    Is this a low tax model?

Looks clean
    Asking €1,995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-d4d-2008-new-nct-low-kms/21091740

Clocks are in KM so looks like an Irish car, it just means its a 1 owner car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

'08 Avensis Diesel
    NCT March '20
    197k kms
    Is this a low tax model?

Looks clean
    Asking €1,995

It’s very low tax. €95 per year at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It looks very very clean to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say the owner might have taken up taxiing later in the cars life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yz-Iy-ODM0-OTg3-Nm-I4-Mz-A4-YTI2-Mzc2-Mm-Jj-ODM4-MTE3-OGXoe-AS3-VCUR0-Dtfqm-CMDMOg.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-seat-alhambra/21090239
    2002 tdi Alhambra
    Low owner Irish car
    supposedly low-ish miles (138k)
    Test till June
    No recent ownership changes
    Looks pretty clean for a 17 year old 7 seater
    Asking €375

Yj-Zj-MGEx-ZTBh-Mz-Mz-ZDQz-Nj-Fm-MDhl-Yz-A4-ZDYy-MDNj-MTi1-ETy-MXEKt-CQ-Qr44m5-El6.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320cd-coupe-nct-tax-auto/21066270

2004 320cd auto
    Test till June
    Tax till the end of the month
    low-ish owner Irish car
    looks pretty clean
    Same owner the last 6 years (and they're not lying)
    Asking €1150

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s very low tax. €95 per year at the moment...

How come it shows only 95 per year ?
    and no tax bands ?

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How come it shows only 95 per year ?
    and no tax bands ?

Tom

Registered as Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

E60 525d Touring
    NCT to November ‘19
    Nice colour leather

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21100647

Same owner since August 2007 and it look very clean. Thats a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Same owner since August 2007 and it look very clean. Thats a bargain.

How do you tell about the ownership? Be handy to know

E60 525d Touring
    NCT to November ‘19
    Nice colour leather

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21100647

All codding and joking aside that's a cracker of a car!
    My commute at the minute is a 70 mile round trip 4/5 days a week. My skoda is eating it up, zero issues, but the head is always easily turned! The Octavia is offering super mpg for a 19 year old and other than droplink bushings for the last NCT has needed nothing only tyres and servicing (x 3) in the 22,000 miles I have put on it.
    My question is would that BMW offer similar reliability and mpg?
    I'm willing to take the hit on tax but I'm not in a position to take a hit on tax AND potential mechanical pit falls for a bit more comfort.
    The Octavia is grand at the end of the day.
    Any thoughts?

How do you tell about the ownership? Be handy to know

https://www.cornmarket.ie/car-insurance-quotes/your-car

Put the reg in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

All codding and joking aside that's a cracker of a car!
    My commute at the minute is a 70 mile round trip 4/5 days a week. My skoda is eating it up, zero issues, but the head is always easily turned! The Octavia is offering super mpg for a 19 year old and other than droplink bushings for the last NCT has needed nothing only tyres and servicing (x 3) in the 22,000 miles I have put on it.
    My question is would that BMW offer similar reliability and mpg?
    I'm willing to take the hit on tax but I'm not in a position to take a hit on tax AND potential mechanical pit falls for a bit more comfort.
    The Octavia is grand at the end of the day.
    Any thoughts?

It won't be as frugal as your Octavia in many respects, but in terms of mpg any changes should be minimal enough that you'll hardly notice them. Bigger tank, so you'll be putting more in to fill it but other than that you likely won't be filling it any more often than the Octavia.

In terms of reliability, we have two 3.0d BMWs in the house at the minute (both 7 series). One has been brilliant, faultless - and the other a bit of a nightmare. Most recently, an ABS sensor is gone on one side and as a result four warning lights are on the dash for run flat system malfunction, ABS malfunction, parking brake malfunction and something else that escapes me at the minute.

The car is absolutely fine, but every time I get into it I have these things binging and flashing away at me and telling me to get to a BMW garage NOW. I have the sensor ordered and paid for and all (€45) and will be fitting it tomorrow, no big deal. But since it came on a few days ago I can't help but miss my old A6 (you know the one) that I got rid of before Christmas. Never an ounce of bother or drama with it in the six months I had it.

There are a few other bits with the 7 series that have annoyed me, but the one thing is that even as it gets on a bit in years its all money, money, money with it. Nothing is cheap with them; tyres, brakes, service items etc. Just keep that in mind. You'll miss the Octavia when the bills start coming in! Just like I miss my A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

That is a useful tool , good to know !

As above, the main potential issues would be centered around sensors and electrics.

The 2.5 diesel engine is normally very reliable if half looked after. The manual gearboxes are built like brick sh1thouses, the clutches and dmfs generally have good longevity but are pricey replace if/when they go. Turbos and injectors again have great longevity if the car has been minded at all. Timing chain does what it's supposed to do and lasts forever.

That above example looks very clean and I believe the 4 new tyres mentioned in the ad are bridgestones (one of them is anyways) so it has all the hallmarks of a well minded car. And if the mileage is genuine (I'd bet it is) then the car itself is barely run in.

It won't be as frugal as your Octavia in many respects, but in terms of mpg any changes should be minimal enough that you'll hardly notice them. Bigger tank, so you'll be putting more in to fill it but other than that you likely won't be filling it any more often than the Octavia.

In terms of reliability, we have two 3.0d BMWs in the house at the minute (both 7 series). One has been brilliant, faultless - and the other a bit of a nightmare. Most recently, an ABS sensor is gone on one side and as a result four warning lights are on the dash for run flat system malfunction, ABS malfunction, parking brake malfunction and something else that escapes me at the minute.

The car is absolutely fine, but every time I get into it I have these things binging and flashing away at me and telling me to get to a BMW garage NOW. I have the sensor ordered and paid for and all (€45) and will be fitting it tomorrow, no big deal. But since it came on a few days ago I can't help but miss my old A6 (you know the one) that I got rid of before Christmas. Never an ounce of bother or drama with it in the six months I had it.

There are a few other bits with the 7 series that have annoyed me, but the one thing is that even as it gets on a bit in years its all money, money, money with it. Nothing is cheap with them; tyres, brakes, service items etc. Just keep that in mind. You'll miss the Octavia when the bills start coming in! Just like I miss my A6.

Thanks for that!
    I'm not sure I'm in a position to change yet anyway, but that particular car got me thinking again. like your A6 did!
    Good point on the additional costs generally as they age. The more I think about it I haven't a notion of getting rid of the Octavia! It's the perfect bangernomics motor for me at the moment. Very little risk in terms of major mechanical issues and the other 'big' bills I can plan for. (tax, tyres, servicing)
    I need a little more cash flow before I can afford to increase my exposure to risk and step up my bangernomics game!
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure the iDrive is working ok, they were new tech back then have a reputation for dying so if it has a blank screen it's fubared, you will be spending a few hundred euro on a reconditioned or second hand unit. Also give it a good long spin to make sure there are no warning symbols/messages popping up on the screen as the dash on these cars can light up like a Christmas tree. Check the boot for dampness or lodged water around the tyre well, it's a known problem with them and can cause havoc with the electrics especially if the car has factory fitted bluetooth as that is where the bluetooth module is located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Barr wrote: »
    That is a useful tool , good to know !

Maybe im blind, but I dont see anywhere on that link that mentions number of previous owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

terrydel wrote: »
    Maybe im blind, but I dont see anywhere on that link that mentions number of previous owners?

It doesn't by the looks of things, just states the car was purchased last in 2007 so it's been with the same owner since then ! I think to get actual number of owners, you'd need a cartell report or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

marko93 wrote:
    It doesn't by the looks of things, just states the car was purchased last in 2007 so it's been with the same owner since then ! I think to get actual number of owners, you'd need a cartell report or something similar.

Go to carsireland.ie, click on advertise your car, enter the reg and it'll return a small bit of info free including I think number of previous owners, I would link but I'm on the phone so..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Go to carsireland.com, click on advertise your car, enter the reg and it'll return a small bit of info free including I think number of previous owners, I would link but I'm on the phone so..... ;-)

Oh so it does!

That BMW has had 2 owners so far then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Am I missing something here???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement