Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, I'm pretty much reading that that Black VRS needs a gearbox. Who on earth has a friend who gives them a free gearbox for an old Octavia, his gearbox is whining in first and he's supplying a spare box with the sale. Nice car and all but definitely one for the brave.

I wouldn't touch that C4 with a barge pole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

To be fair, I'm pretty much reading that that Black VRS needs a gearbox. Who on earth has a friend who gives them a free gearbox for an old Octavia, his gearbox is whining in first and he's supplying a spare box with the sale. Nice car and all but definitely one for the brave.

I wouldn't touch that C4 with a barge pole either.

Far as I know the car had a noise which he assumed was the gearbox but turned out to be a cv joint problem or sumthing along those lines. Don't know the guy, but it's just sumthing I saw on another forum where he's selling the car. From what I know of him on there he's well known to the lads on that forum and is sound out. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That black vrs seems to be owned by a car enthusiats and someone who takes good care of their car. What is a noise to one might not be noticed at all by others. Its a honest and decent ad. Obviously the car needs to be checked, but at least you know what to look for.

Had few issues with my cars that my passengers wouldn't even notice and even my mechanic said all was good. I just left it as it was as there was no point fixing something that only I can hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

GY A1 wrote: »
    What are those Volvo like
    Much to look out for

I know 4 people who bought them in the 2006-2010 years. All 4 thought they were a great buy at the start. All 4 suffered major enough problems that costed big money out of warranty that ended in them trading it in for another brand within 4 years. Not anywhere near a representative sample but not good stories. Also I think all 4 had the 1.6 diesel version. This particular one is a 2.0l version.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Interior of the red vrs looks nice. Weird marks on either side of boot lip, or is that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

rn wrote: »
    I know 4 people who bought them in the 2006-2010 years. All 4 thought they were a great buy at the start. All 4 suffered major enough problems that costed big money out of warranty that ended in them trading it in for another brand within 4 years. Not anywhere near a representative sample but not good stories. Also I think all 4 had the 1.6 diesel version. This particular one is a 2.0l version.
    A friend has a '06 2.0 version. Its seen more off-road than most 4x4's, covered 80k in 2 years, and still going great. No expense beyond the usual consumables. About to be replaced by a newer V70, mainly because he just wants something a little bigger and newer. Again with the 2.0 diesel.

The 1.6 are definitely known to be troublesome alright though.

bman1 wrote: »
    Far as I know the car had a noise which he assumed was the gearbox but turned out to be a cv joint problem or sumthing along those lines. Don't know the guy, but it's just sumthing I saw on another forum where he's selling the car. From what I know of him on there he's well known to the lads on that forum and is sound out. Just my 2 cents.

Ah yeah I'm not saying it's not an honest ad and it certainly reads like he's been good to the car but it does read to me personally like it's going to need attention shortly which is best avoided in a bangernimics car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-vrs/21080163

OGNiYzFkOGQ5MWMyNDhiYWExZmZjODczM2QxZTAyZWafwW5qFnX4DSytC3UbRH3ZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTg2NDkxNzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Another Octavia VRS, NCT till October, tax till March, €1300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Anyone know what these are like?

2006 Volvo V50 1.8 Petrol

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21149439

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads mazda 3 2006-2008 thoughts on the cars?

Looking for a cheap car for myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Petrol would be grand but I would stay clear of diesels in Mazda's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They can rust apparently so be wary of that

Petrol would be grand but I would stay clear of diesels in Mazda's
    Would you say 1.4 or 1.6

marko93 wrote: »
    Anyone know what these are like?

2006 Volvo V50 1.8 Petrol

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21149439

Have same engine in s40 and was troublesome. It is Ford unit and has good reputation. Chain driven as well which is always a bonus with bangeromics. Keep an eye on oil level regularlym

Check that all the electrics work. Also dont expect great fuel economy. If I was in the market I would still pick petrol one over the diesel due to their poor reputation if your mileage allows it.

Comfy car, but space inside is not great.

They aged well imo.

I would not even look at that particular example as it is overpriced for what it is. Nct almost out and need brakes. Worth 500 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

wonski wrote: »
    Have same engine in s40 and was troublesome. It is Ford unit and has good reputation. Chain driven as well which is always a bonus with bangeromics. Keep an eye on oil level regularlym

Check that all the electrics work. Also dont expect great fuel economy. If I was in the market I would still pick petrol one over the diesel due to their poor reputation if your mileage allows it.

Comfy car, but space inside is not great.

They aged well imo.

I would not even look at that particular example as it is overpriced for what it is. Nct almost out and need brakes. Worth 500 maybe.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

emeldc wrote: »
    Something that otherwise has a good reputation can still give issues in particular instances I guess.
    The v50 needs a service every six months. Something you might also want to add into your calculations. The rear seats are more cramped than would be expected. A few inches more room in the back at the expense of the boot would have been my preference but otherwise a solid car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

http://m.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2226586&r=

Seems cheap, I wonder about timing chain

emeldc wrote: »

Sorry, I meant trouble free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Great little cars, i would be shocked if there wasnt rust someplace on it.
    If looked after, they are fairly bullet proof.
    Im talking about petrol here.
    1.4 is fairly thirsty all the same.
    Wont set the world alight getting up to speed.

Parts can be kinda expensive for it also

• Advertisement

http://m.billgriffinmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2226586&r=

Seems cheap, I wonder about timing chain

??? Why what makes you think there is an issuewith the timing chain

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VAG 1.4 tsi engines of that era can suffer from stretching timing chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    VAG 1.4 tsi engines of that era can suffer from stretching timing chains.

At least this one does not have the compressor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Focus ST170
    NCT to January 2020, been up on DD ages.
    Wrong colour and too many doors but I’m still drawn to it for some reason

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20831657

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Focus ST170
    NCT to January 2020, been up on DD ages.
    Wrong colour and too many doors but I’m still drawn to it for some reason

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20831657

Fine looking car, she must have been the dogs liathróidí in her day.

The car in the background seems to be looking for attention.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I'd love that Focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's not to love? A 98 Micra, tested and taxed, in a rather fetching shade of blue, only 66k miles and 550 euro.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-1-0-only-66k-taxtest/21137817

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was looking at that ST170 a while back but my current insurer would not quote me online(never rang up) for some reason and I was a couple of months into policy so could go looking for a new quote off another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Evening gents,

I have an 05 Astra 5 door hatch, 1 owner from new (nuns!), fsh with a nice wad of invoices and brand new tyres. It drives like a brand new car, not a rattle or squeak out of it and is ready to go anywhere.

The only issue is it’s a base spec 1.8 petrol automatic. Going to offer it here first, if mods will allow, for €650 with twelve months test.

Any thoughts? Am I way off the mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I wouldn't say way off the mark at all especially with a full test.

The engine size will count against it but automatic hatchbacks under 1k are selling well at the minute on donedeal for some reason.

There must be an increasing number of people with auto only licences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement