Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

http://www.adverts.ie/17440370

Seems decent and with good bit of nct on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Wouldn't discount that car given the price, but a lot of new parts listed that would probably cost near that so definitely needs to be checked carefully.

Also drilled discs for bog standard Octavia? Who does that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ownership changed at the beginning of February. It does make you wonder too how it can still be flipped for a profit by asking €400 with all that claimed work done to it. It's also very hard to believe that a diesel Octavia has only covered 128k miles in 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

mine is late 01 and has just passed 130k miles, had 78k when I got it from UK, was immaculate on the inside but seemed to have starting problems, took long time to turn over, new battery and fine since, acceleration was poor, but I reckon the person that had it the longest from new by the service details location, didnt really put the miles on it or put the welly down much, after 50k+ miles I think I've cleared out the carbon or whatever was limiting the turbo.Interesting to see what its worth, maybe mines a few quid more as its an Elegance spec, aircon, cruise, all the trimmings and vented discs, looks a bit rough on the outside and I think the NCT will put it to bed soon over something minor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ownership changed at the beginning of February. It does make you wonder too how it can still be flipped for a profit by asking €400 with all that claimed work done to it. It's also very hard to believe that a diesel Octavia has only covered 128k miles in 17 years.

its 400 beans.. id say something if it was 4000, but its 400, with a years test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Nice looking Volvo V70 estate for 1550, nearly a full years test and taxed til July. Leather etc looks well in the pics

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-volvo-v70-estate-diesel-tax-07-19-nct-12-19/21193031

I think that was up recently, whats the 2.4 diesel like
    140k or so miles

108 Crumlin Road is a small car dealers that has previously dissolved and seems to have at least 6 separate legal entities (which is perfectly legal).

Motortax says it was bought by a dealer in early February. Hugh O'Byrne is the MD of Cambridge Motor Co, and the car is being sold by a 'Hugh'.

Yelp has a review of the company which says there was shenanigans over the dealer trying to pass the sale off as a 'private sale' ( https://www.yelp.ie/biz/cambridge-motor-dublin )

Would suggest steering well clear.

Also, OldManMondeo on here posted a negative review of them a few years back - something about a check engine light being disabled to hide faults.

I probably wasnt going to go for that one specifically, but thats some investigative work done, I liked the look of the leather, wondered about the timing belt tacked onto the service record as it is, I guess there is always a possibility the car actually isnt a pile of $hite (it actually is presented as quite clean looking) but with that record, why risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

No dealer in the country is going to offer you any kind of warranty on a €1500 car. Whatever about their legal obligations you might as well take any sub €2k purchase from a dealer as a private sale.

That Volvo looks very genuine to me. If I was in the market I'd go for a look.

You're buying the car, not the seller.

• Advertisement

No dealer in the country is going to offer you any kind of warranty on a €1500 car. Whatever about their legal obligations you might as well take any sub €2k purchase from a dealer as a private sale.

The dealer is selling it as a private seller when he clearly isn't. The only yelp review is a 1* review of a salesman there lying about selling a car privately when in fact it was a sale through the business.

Why would you go view a car from a seller who is clearly being dishonest when you can buy a car from all the other vendors (private/trade) out there who aren't clearly being dishonest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Theres loads of good value around, so if the apparent dodgyness of the dealer puts you off (and it probably would me) just look elsewhere.

There are 29 reviews on Google though, 23 of which are five stars

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&ei=dUmBXMPiE4Op1fAP0rOHgAs&q=cambridge+motors+crumlin&oq=cambridge&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0i67l3j0i131i67j0i131j0j0i131j0l3.3213.5753..6710...1.0..0.66.503.10......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i10.aQ9nNCO-VTc#lrd=0x48670c6d9c069bd5:0xa1ad396f571e3154,1,,,

I'd go and view that car because its not a big deal. Its none of my business. I'm buying the car, and thats all I care about. If it checks out and I think its worth buying, I'll buy it. Doesn't matter who is selling it

Sure, but it's very easy to temporarily hide big problems with a car. Whether it's hiding an engine management light (which one of google reviews mentions and another boards user posted about), hiding a turbo that's started on it's way out, not disclosing that it has problems with warm starts, hiding clutch/gearbox problems etc etc etc.

Given that, it's a completely irrational decision to actively choose a dishonest vendor over absolutely any other choice.

It does look like a lovely car, which is partially why you have to wonder why they don't just sell it with the minimum warranty on non-consumables only.

Anyway, I'll stop segueing.

Obviously we have different outlooks, and I'm not looking to start an argument; but I think this is a worthwhile discussion for the thread.

Speaking from experience, it is my opinion that those with the smallest budget almost always expect the most out of their car and the man they buy it from. In other words, champagne for lemonade money. Its also my opinion that it is completely irrational and just unfair to expect a man to stand over a €1k car and promise that nothing will go wrong for three months. Seemingly I am in a minority with this view because I've seen dealers threatened with legal action for things like failing window regs and €200 Puntos.

I would confidently wager that the seller of the Volvo above holds very similar views to my own :) I don't think he is actively trying to hide anything about the car specifically, and is instead just trying to pay bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have a 06 2.4 S60. It hasn't been the most reliable car, they are heavy on suspension parts, brakes, engine mounts as well as random electrical issues. The auto gearbox is a sealed for life box and is crap enough. It is also weeping oil, coolant, steering fluid and gearbox oil. The turning circle is so bad my other half turned into a space at the weekend and missed. They drink diesel, I can barely manage 40 mpg and that is driving like a nun on N roads.

That said it's like the old faithful spaniel I've had for years that smells bad, is slightly blind, mangy and incontinent but I just love it too much to put it down. The only reason I haven't gotten rid is I'm emigrating AND getting married this summer so didn't want to spend money replacing it. And the seats are the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

For me, the high tax is against the principle of the bangernomics concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

yobr wrote: »

I'd be the same to an extent, I mean the car posted more recently costs over a grand to tax and apparently is being sold by a dodgy dealer.

How is that bangernomics?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The beauty of this thread is it doesn’t take a one size fits all approach to bangernomics. Some like big leathery Saabs etc that are cheap because they are expensive to tax, and others like cheap to buy and cheap to run Corollas and Yaris’ etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The beauty of this thread is it doesn’t take a one size fits all approach to bangernomics. Some like big leathery Saabs etc that are cheap because they are expensive to tax, and others like cheap to buy and cheap to run Corollas and Yaris’ etc

I agree. That's the main reason I enjoy this thread. Big auld Merc's and BM's in sit in and drive condition for no money because of the higher tax bands or a Subaru Vivio for €299 with 10 months tax and test. You never know what bargains you'll see.

The rules are simple:
    Bangernomics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I'd be the same to an extent, I mean the car posted more recently costs over a grand to tax and apparently is being sold by a dodgy dealer.

How is that bangernomics?

To be fair, based on that advert alone, there is almost 500 quids worth of road tax already paid up on it AND it has NCT until the end of the year, so you get a large comfortable car, for about a grand, that will do probably close to 40mpg. Even if it lasted a year, you wouldn't be doing too bad.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-saab-1-9-diesel-nct-tax/21234463

OWFkN2ZjZTE1YjViNDUyZThiZDJmMjczZjMzOWJkZDBwaBG2pJe-ccoWHvkcuC7_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTk4NDYyNjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Test till October, tax till April, diesel, low miles - €1200

Cartell report in the pics is a good sign of a decent car I suppose. I'd have a punt at this

This one has your name written all over it @terrydel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

yobr wrote: »

What do you mean high tax? That'll be about 673 to tax a year.

On the subject of Bangernomics, I had a discussion about an hour ago with my dad, who bought brand new cars all his life, and changed every 2 years.

The last brand new car he bought was in 2005, a BMW E60 525 and paid somewhere in the region of €56,000 at the time.
    He drove it until 2017, and although it was still driving, he fancied a change, so went for a 2006 E60 525, but this time wanted an automatic.
    Bought the car for €2,500 with 6 months road tax on it. Has it 2 years this week, and apart from oil filter, air filter, plugs etc, has spent nothing on it.

We were reckoning the new one cost him almost 5k a year, and the 2006 one, even if he sold it tomorrow, would probably still make a grand or 1500, thereby meaning it cost him approx 500 quid a year!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    To be fair, based on that advert alone, there is almost 500 quids worth of road tax already paid up on it AND it has NCT until the end of the year, so you get a large comfortable car, for about a grand, that will do probably close to 40mpg. Even if it lasted a year, you wouldn't be doing too bad.

I actually didn't look at the small print once I read dodgy dealer, it sounds like good bangernomics alright.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've bought cars at that price range from dealers with basic engine and gearbox warranty.

OWFkN2ZjZTE1YjViNDUyZThiZDJmMjczZjMzOWJkZDBwaBG2pJe-ccoWHvkcuC7_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTk4NDYyNjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cartell report in the pics is a good sign of a decent car I suppose. I'd have a punt at this

Now that's tempting alright!

Herself is driving a 2 litre diesel S40 for the last few years, and while she loves the car and the fuel economy etc, she is talking about changing to an estate, preferably diesel, and preferably Saab or Volvo

Haha, the brother might kill me for copying him! He has the saloon mind you. Looks great that.

• Advertisement

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    On the subject of Bangernomics, I had a discussion about an hour ago with my dad, who bought brand new cars all his life, and changed every 2 years.

The last brand new car he bought was in 2005, a BMW E60 525 and paid somewhere in the region of €56,000 at the time.
    He drove it until 2017, and although it was still driving, he fancied a change, so went for a 2006 E60 525, but this time wanted an automatic.
    Bought the car for €2,500 with 6 months road tax on it. Has it 2 years this week, and apart from oil filter, air filter, plugs etc, has spent nothing on it.

We were reckoning the new one cost him almost 5k a year, and the 2006 one, even if he sold it tomorrow, would probably still make a grand or 1500, thereby meaning it cost him approx 500 quid a year!!! :eek:

The upgrade was probably from 190hp to 220hp too, which along with the auto would have been a very nice change! I have an 06 525i automatic and I really think it's the sweetspot in tax vs power vs running costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement