Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jharr100 wrote: »

And my arse plays the banjo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-aero-hot-turbo-2l/14891970

N2E1ZTdkNWJkYzIwMTkwN2QzZTM0YzhhY2ZiYzg5OGLgGWT4NqJmrFb-a5nLbxOaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDIxMjY1N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

9-3 HOT Aero 200 BHP with NCT to 2/18 for €600. Might be a bit ropey but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

jharr100 wrote: »

A 12 year old diesel which has done an average 6k a year.
    Wonder what the actually mileage was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Alfa's are as reliable as most cars once they receive the proper maintenance. I had an 8 year old 156 petrol with 180k miles when I got rid. Ran perfectly because it was maintained.

The issue is proper maintenance on them is expensive and a lot of people scrimp on it.

people seem to use the maintenance argument as an excuse when defending alfas. They need a lot of pampering outside of regular maintenance and even at that they still tend to go wrong. To me it seems to be more down to poor design/quality rather than maintenance issues.

Don't get me wrong they are nice cars it's just they are soft.

I'm far from a fanboi, I've only owned one and am only going off my own personal ownership experience.

It never had a mechanical failure, never failed an NCT and never let me down. Maybe I got lucky but I don't think so.
    I'd buy another no problem if it was reasonably priced and had a pile of reciepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

alfa is waaaay down the list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Rover at #8 and as if that in itself isn't odd enough, MG strolls in at #18.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

ligertigon wrote: »
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

alfa is waaaay down the list!

Going by that list there are a few manufacturers which should know better then yeah? I.e audi
    The list a complete joke.
    Let's just drop the whole "debate" as it's pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bentley is # 38 :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

unkel wrote: »
    Still worth more than a grand. We'll see who's right. @cocoman - make sure to report back here when the car is sold :)

So I sold the Focus estate for €1100.

Sad to see it go after 6 years. Might have got more if I waited but the OH's car is sitting idle as she changed. I now have her 07 petrol Octavia. I hope I sold the right one!

The Octavia is currently on DD for €3k but it's probably a Bangernomics candidate. Taxed and NCT 05/18. Running well with 198k km.

Half thinking of buying another focus estate (13) or a Qashqai (10/11).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

bear1 wrote: »
    Going by that list there are a few manufacturers which should know better then yeah? I.e audi

Audi / VW does badly in lots of lists..
    Maybe thats why they only offer a 3 year 90k km warranty

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/most-reliable-engines/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

bear1 wrote: »

Those list have been proven many times to be totally wrong - I've posted about it here before, but basically, lots of "prestigious" marques do badly, and cheaper marques do well, not because the cheaper ones are necessarily better, but because of the expecatation level of the purchaser. The guy who's paid €85k for a Merc will consider it a huge disappointment if his cupholder doesn't work the way he wanted it to, or Lyric FM doesn't always come in loud and clear, whereas the guy who paid €10k for a Dacia Sandero will be a little more circumspect about the small things. Not to mention that Merc man will probably have the wherewithal to drop the car to the dealer any time he wants, whereas Dacia man might be too busy worrying about the mortgage and working overtime to pay for the car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gravelly wrote: »
    Those list have been proven many times to be totally wrong - I've posted about it here before, but basically, lots of "prestigious" marques do badly, and cheaper marques do well, not because the cheaper ones are necessarily better, but because of the expecatation level of the purchaser.

But they still give a hint when comparing brands for similar wallet, exp. VW vs Ford vs Toyota or MB vs BMW vs Lexus. I would say the VW buyer has similar level of expectations as a buyer of a Toyota...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

grogi wrote: »
    But they still give a hint when comparing brands for similar wallet, exp. VW vs Ford vs Toyota or MB vs BMW vs Lexus. I would say the VW buyer has similar level of expectations as a buyer of a Toyota...

You very well could be correct in that.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/cheap-opel-corsa-tested-09-17/15626337?campaign=3

ODlhOGVkZTY5N2Q5YjY0YmFiOTAzY2M3Mzc5ZGMyMzMDVqNxYBYkc5gJveqMsX_LaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDQ5OTgyNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Tested till 9/17 for €175...it beats waiting at a bus stop..I think

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-discovery2-2001/15594553

MWE5ZGY5Mzg3M2Y3MDY4OGM5MWI2MzUyNzNlNWY4NmVfLh4avI4QX9_aa4M6wVMpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDMyNDExMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT'd till 9/17, tax for three days & its coil sprung - for €1600. Seems alright if this is your kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kiket2ride

Just saw this, looks really nice and probably can negotiate 2k out of it: donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-quick-sale-nct-1-18/15572819

Kiket2ride wrote: »
    Just saw this, looks really nice and probably can negotiate 2k out of it: donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-quick-sale-nct-1-18/15572819

Www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-quick-sale-nct-1-18/15572819

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kiket2ride

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks. Are these engines known for any reliability issues I should be aware of?

Those would be pre Efficient dynamics as far as i know, so not as troublesome, I seem to remember problems with injectors and coil packs on them, but to be honest they've always flown under my radar as a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks. Are these engines known for any reliability issues I should be aware of?

Yes, BMW four pots aren't best...

The cooling is prone to leaking and it is very easy to overheat the engine because the dash indicator is not very precise - stays in the middle until hundred something degrees. Valvetronic is temperamental. Coil packs fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you read the description in the advert there has been a lot replaced on that engine. That can either be a good thing (car doesn't need money spent on it now) or a bad thing (the car has a history of being a money pit). I'd tend to keep looking if you're after reliability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, there's a Corolla in need of a family bucket of turtle wax

But, jaysus, that's some cheap motoring right there.
    Set of nice hub caps and you'd be golden for nearly a year

Old Testament Audi A7

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I could have sworn that body style only came in 1.6l form hence it's lack of appeal in Ireland. Odd to see a 1.3 auto but maybe it was a UK import. Not that it makes much of a difference tbh.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I could have sworn that body style only came in 1.6l form hence it's lack of appeal in Ireland. Odd to see a 1.3 auto but maybe it was a UK import. Not that it makes much of a difference tbh.

Same tbh. I always thought they were quite posh inside too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Same tbh. I always thought they were quite posh inside too

Slightly different dash and higher spec finish afaik. I've only ever seen them on 1993/4 plates which makes me think they were withdrawn from the market here. Shame as they looked a lot better than the hatch.

I loved the Sprinter that came before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think that Corolla Liftback is an import. That shape was briefly sold here as a Sprinter when it was launched back in 1993. They were around the same price as an entry level Carina E at the time meaning they didn't sell in great numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement