Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

W123-80's wrote: »
    It'd be plain wrong not to post this

'97 Corolla
    Test May '19
    Tax April '19
    127k miles

Asking €800
    Neighbour of mine has a '93 one from new. No sign of it stopping any time soon!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-toyota-corolla-great-condition/21317071

That is nice, but desperately needs a new test at that price

Four original hub caps and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda/21326890

Diesel Panda with test till September for a grand

I have a strong disliking for every car with a D-12xxxx reg. I actually think it would put me off owning or buying one.

The only good thing about them is they save you money on a motor check report as you can be confident of a chequered past from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Very rare colour. Timber green -=Original JDM radio too.

I think this particular one was photod years ago pulling a trailer. Edit, thinking back the one with the trailer was a respray so not this one.

I’d love another one, but not in green. They’re not far off clsssic tax now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

I have a strong disliking for every car with a D-12xxxx reg. I actually think it would put me off owning or buying one.

The only good thing about them is they save you money on a motor check report as you can be confident of a chequered past from the get go.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda/21326890

OTNhNzhkMDkxYzQ3NWYwZjBkNDc0NjZmYzg5NzM4M2I_4JAfX-LVC64jKstb2RhCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA1NzE0Mzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel Panda with test till September for a grand

I’d say you’d get to the moon quicker than that does 0-60.

Almost spat my Guinness out.

Manual!!!! I’m guessing if it was auto it’s worth about 500.

GIMP wrote: »
    Why?

Obviously it's a huge generalisation I made but as a general observation, they are more likely to have an interesting past, lack of history or more extensive wear and tear. I do dread when a car turns up in work and it's xx-d-12xxxx they are always on their 23rd Irish owner, no history whatsoever and most minimal maintenance efforts made with significantly more corrosion on chassis components that similar original Irish car.

Like everything, there are exceptions, but I often find the above is the case. That and the plates themselves look badly formatted with all those digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's funny when you read about UK cars being well maintained and serviced and Irish drivers are being slagged for not doing service on time etc. Yet when the car is an import all of a sudden it is even worse.

I don't get that number plate snobbery at all as well. Who cares??? What's next? Phone numbers being too long? House number to high?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    It's funny when you read about UK cars being well maintained and serviced and Irish drivers are being slagged for not doing service on time etc. Yet when the car is an import all of a sudden it is even worse.

I don't get that number plate snobbery at all as well. Who cares??? What's next? Phone numbers being too long? House number to high?

Well I dont think it's a hard and fast rule that "UK cars are well maintained" in the same way I dont think it's hard and fast that "all Irish cars aren't maintained", but I'll tell you this much, I doubt "Constantin", the third Irish owner has any documented service history for that Panda. In fact, if anyone cares to check I'll donate €20 to a charity of their choice if he does have a full history for it.

It's also not plate "snobbery" at all, I just dont enjoy how unformatted they look as it puts a sixth digit after the letter in the case of a "D" reg which makes the plate look a bit unbalanced. I know the actual digits on a plate dont compromise the car, but it's more the way the digits visually present themselves on the plate, it's unsymetrical and unbalanced looking, to me anyway. Sure it's a first world problem but it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Well I dont think it's a hard and fast rule that "UK cars are well maintained" in the same way I dont think it's hard and fast that "all Irish cars aren't maintained", but I'll tell you this much, I doubt "Constantin", the third Irish owner has any documented service history for that Panda. In fact, if anyone cares to check I'll donate €20 to a charity of their choice if he does have a full history for it.

But apparently "Everything works" ! That's all that's important, isn't it?

It's also not plate "snobbery" at all, I just dont enjoy how unformatted they look as it puts a sixth digit after the letter in the case of a "D" reg which makes the plate look a bit unbalanced. I know the actual digits on a plate dont compromise the car, but it's more the way the digits visually present themselves on the plate, it's unsymetrical and unbalanced looking, to me anyway. Sure it's a first world problem but it wouldn't be for me.

I agree with both of your points. Dublin was absolutely flooded with junkers a few years ago, that 120xxx sequence went up to 135 or 136 when they axed it. The vast majority of 120xxx plates I see out and about or on Donedeal almost always look pretty rough.

If I were to elaborate further, it's probably even more prolific with small cars.

When you see any kind of Vauxhall Corsa C or Polo 9n in "E" trim, the (E standing for empty) or whatever else, Fiesta Style etc with a 120xxx plate, you can be sure it was first imported by a tightwad who spent €450 on the return trip to the UK to buy the car because it was €250 cheaper than any Irish model on Donedeal at the time and the only thing on the car they checked before buying it was the price tag.

A lot of these yokes have continued with a life of neglect on their second or third or more Irish owner, not a screed of service history, 4x odd tyres and "3 previous inspections" on the last NCT.

Not that any of that matters too much on a €1k car anyway, it's just stemming back to my lack of love for cars with those plates, at least the plate helps you pick out the ****ters from ten paces back.

A bit of a rant that, back to bangers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Love the cable ties! :D:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-seat-ibiza-hatchback/21325583

I think this is cool.

1.4 100bhp model. Mad colour, sun roof, nice wheels, nice seats, plenty of NCT. Possibly still with its first owner, KE reg in Mayo though and not greenlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I think this is cool.

1.4 100bhp model. Mad colour, sun roof, nice wheels, nice seats, plenty of NCT. Possibly still with its first owner, KE reg in Mayo though and not greenlighted.

Odd one this
    Records say car purchased on 14/12/2018, but also say 1 owner, and in the advert it shows zero previous owners :confused::confused::confused:

Not a fan of numberplate snobbery (despite having an awesome one) but something about D regs makes me just think, no, that thing has had a rough life. It’s mad because I’m sure people from Dublin see the same thing when they see a KY reg!

I just never got the whole DoneDeal thing of promoting the fact a car has a D reg. Who the **** cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I love this car. True spirit of bangernomics for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I've always maintained that I will never buy a car with one of those stupidly long numbers. If it was my perfectly spec'd dream car I just know it would do my fucking head in every time I looked at and saw an ugly 12XXXX plate. Looks 10x worse in particular when it's on much older classic cars - I saw a gorgeous classic Mercedes sporting a plate with 55-D-120004 or something similar last year and Christ almighty, what a way to ruin a beautiful looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Very few of these Rover 75's left around any more, especially the estate version

[EDIT]I should say.....this is NOT the Rover 75, but the MG ZT-T, based on the 75[/EDIT]

This one looks very clean and genuine

The missus had one a few years back, and the engine is practically bomb-proof in them. It's the BMW diesel engine, but was designed without the swirl flaps, so no issue there. Used to get about 50mpg with the saloon.

NCT until November and 133,000 miles
    Listed at €1600

OGYzNDY1YWM0MzFmZmUzYTUxMzFiMDg4YjFmNmExMjN7McP-grmJFI4b-5GPcprCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTk2ODE4ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

looks nice, Is it not fairly steep for an 03? whats the differences to the Rover 75.
    Seriously considering moving, to somewhere with a garage, so I could buy that FTO :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ZT has bigger wheels, lower suspension, different paint options, but a less tweed/wood/leather vibe in the interior - which doesn’t really work for me.

Diesel engines were 114/129bhp, same as the 75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

wonski wrote: »

Yeah, that's genuinely ****ing baffling to me, I read the explanation there and am none the wiser.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-zt-t/21327698

ZDQ5MTE5YmIwYjUxYzAxMTI1OWJjYmFkOWVhZGUzODEjIQ4jG3txDmR6znpsCkQzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA1NzY0OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking ZT estate in the right colour for €950

Tax till end of April and NCT till December

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-zt-t/21327698

ZDQ5MTE5YmIwYjUxYzAxMTI1OWJjYmFkOWVhZGUzODEjIQ4jG3txDmR6znpsCkQzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA1NzY0OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking ZT estate in the right colour for €950

Tax till end of April and NCT till December

Jesus Duke... 121549

PASS!

---

They really are a cracking looking estate. Love that colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I think this is cool.

Same car for sale by 'John' 44 days ago at the same price
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-seat-ibiza-1-4-nct-amp-tax/20730543

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

theShire wrote: »
    Same car for sale by 'John' 44 days ago at the same price
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-seat-ibiza-1-4-nct-amp-tax/20730543

well spotted, abit less miles now type error id say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement