Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Cartell will be no help, anybody can input mileage readings for any car on there.

How long is the car in the country? Look for service history from its time here, and see what the NCT reports say.

Other than that you won't really be able to do much else. I presume its a bangernomics car? If so I wouldn't be getting too worried about the what ifs..go and have a look and if it suits you make an offer on it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would cartell.ie tell you much if I got the chassis number (VIN)

Having a look and seen this on FB, scary how easy it is to clock a car

https://www.facebook.com/JapanCarHistoryCheck/videos/1634674466542916/

Cartell would be useless in this case. Googling the chassis number might throw up Japanese auction websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That vid example is a bit silly though. Video of a LHD Opel being clocked to warn you of the dangers of clocking JDM cars.

For what it's worth, I dont think clocking is too prolific on Japanese cars, at least on the Japanese side. A lot of them have quite a low natural mileage. When the make it to Ireland they have about the same risk of being clocked by an Irish person as anything else I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

That vid example is a bit silly though. Video of a LHD Opel being clocked to warn you of the dangers of clocking JDM cars.

For what it's worth, I dont think clocking is too prolific on Japanese cars, at least on the Japanese side. A lot of them have quite a low natural mileage. When the make it to Ireland they have about the same risk of being clocked by an Irish person as anything else I suppose.

More than likely Irish people to be fair. I sold my other halfs 1 series this morning, it was a 151 so not exactly cheap. The man who bought it viewed three similar cars in Cork and all had been clocked after leaving the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Gary_Pinkass

Hello,

I'm looking for a cheap diesel 08 or newer car for my neighbour who were scammed out of their 2013 Golf

Any recommendations welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Ford Kuga with 5 brand new triangle tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How were they scammed out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »

Ah I understand, I seen something about the Kuga alright but didn't see the golf...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-2/21402961

OGQ4Mjg2ZGEyOWU2ZDk5Njg3OTMyMWY4OWMyYWI5OTfVc--uGUUvUWm9ZH0FHShGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjExMDkxMTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

New model Mazda 2 with NCT till 2020 for €1500

Ad has a genuine air to it. Obviously not the tidiest for the money but cheap all the same, and these are quite good

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb/21402774

ZGE4ZTJmNTI4NWZiMGNjYTRmODI1MWZmOWQ5MmU0NDKke7HMGHiKee-OK_Nvf3rKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjExMDc2NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice reg, nice spec and cheap tax. Only NCT'd till August, €1350

Taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

My 2.0t Vector.
    Have it up for €400 but will sell it to a boardsie for less.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-saab-93-2-0t-vector/21406212

ZjEyZGVlOWQ2OTMwNTUxNzkwNmZmMzdmMTI4MWViNmXtxzjmDslamuv1rUseRQvsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjExMjcwNzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ewj1978 wrote: »
    My 2.0t Vector.
    Have it up for €400 but will sell it to a boardsie for less.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-saab-93-2-0t-vector/21406212

ZjEyZGVlOWQ2OTMwNTUxNzkwNmZmMzdmMTI4MWViNmXtxzjmDslamuv1rUseRQvsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjExMjcwNzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Where were you a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

ah man, was waiting on my new car to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ewj1978 wrote: »
    ah man, was waiting on my new car to arrive.

I jest. I just laid out on something last week is all and have been in and out of the market for a 9-3 or 9-5 for a few months if something came up.

Nothing like a boardsie car generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads would a 1.6 petrol automatic clio be heavy on juice?

Looking at mpg online and it has it at 31mpg which is the same as what a 2.5 petrol automatic BMW 523i is scored at which doesn't seem right?

What year is it?

colm_mcm wrote:
    What year is it?

2008. 1.6 16v

Co2 on them is 179 which is very high. It’s a 4 speed auto, assuming it’s a torque converter.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Co2 on them is 179 which is very high. It’s a 4 speed auto, assuming it’s a torque converter.

So would they be hard enough on juice yeah?

• Advertisement

I would imagine so. Early to mid 30s average on a good day at a guess.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I would imagine so. Early to mid 30s average on a good day at a guess.

Need a small automatic for herself and there is one there that looks half decent. She would be doing small miles a year, probably under 5000 miles or so

Is it very cheap?

I’d be looking for a newer shape Daihatsu Sirion 1.3 auto

colm_mcm wrote:
    Is it very cheap?

1600 with 70k miles

1600 with 70k miles

If you don’t mind the tax (assuming it’s on cc rate) then that’s not bad at all. You’d probably get a few quid off that as it’s undesirable to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'07 MK 1 Octavia 1.9 diesel
    NCT Nov '19
    130k miles
    Nice looking car.
    Assuming its legit its a hassle free mile muncher for a few years.
    Its overpriced for sure, but it qualifies.

Asking €1,795

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-skoda-octavia-tour-1-9tdi-one-owner/21308247

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Lads would a 1.6 petrol automatic clio be heavy on juice?

Looking at mpg online and it has it at 31mpg which is the same as what a 2.5 petrol automatic BMW 523i is scored at which doesn't seem right?

Hi
    Got Honda Civic 1.6 automatic myself and it does between 7 and 9 liters for 100 km. (can't do miles to galon as both mile and galon are foreign for me).

It is 2004 and 4 speed automatic gearbox.

Tom

Hi Got Honda Civic 1.6 automatic myself and it does between 7 and 9 liters for 100 km. (can't do miles to galon as both mile and galon are foreign for me).

It is 2004 and 4 speed automatic gearbox.

Tom

Cheers Tom, that's about 26-33 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Cheers Tom, that's about 26-33 mpg
    That's US mpg, not imperial.
    In UK mpg, it works out at 31.5-40mpg, giving an average of around 35ish which is what I would have expected from the Clio too to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    That's US mpg, not imperial.

And that's why this godforsaken units should be forgotten once for good.

We know exactly how a litre of fuel costs and how many litres we take at the petrol station. We know exactly how many km each day we travel... Yet many still insist on using a unit that does not correlate to any of those...

If I travel 14 km to work each day, l of petrol costs 1.35€, and my car uses 7l/100km - I can easily calculate how much I am spending each day on fuel... (1.35€/l * 7l/100km * 14km = 1.35€). Or calculate how far a 55l tank that I just filled in will get me. (55l/7l * 100km ~ 800km). Good luck doing same with mpg... :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement